The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So it looks like DAndrea may at long last be pulling their head out of their butt! A statement posted on stringsbymail.com says that as of 2022 pro plecs will have a matte finish to prevent warping during production.
    That only took 8 or 10 years... if it really has fixed the defect.
    Last edited by whiskey02; 09-20-2022 at 03:44 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Still haven't encountered a warped one! I wonder if everywhere I've bought them was old stock, before the warping issue began.

User Info Menu

Not being a materials engineer, I have no idea how producing a matte finish would prevent warping versus a polished finish; perhaps the polishing process was heating up the material and causing warping. I mostly use their 358 size pick and I've never had any warping with that, but the slightly larger 651 has tended to have little bit of a cupping to the side that is hot stamped.

User Info Menu

I bought a few dozens of them from Thomann last year. I like them and use them, but literally all of them are warped, to the point that you only use one side of the pick. I've never seen that with any other pick...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Still haven't encountered a warped one! I wonder if everywhere I've bought them was old stock, before the warping issue began.
    i have a few dozen, five different styles, every single one was warped. i dont mind the warp, and find it a non-issue when playing, but still they were all warped to varying degrees. the ones that are like the jazzIII (358?) were the most notably warped...but also the ones that i liked the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer096
    i have a few dozen, five different styles, every single one was warped. i dont mind the warp, and find it a non-issue when playing, but still they were all warped to varying degrees. the ones that are like the jazzIII (358?) were the most notably warped...but also the ones that i liked the best.
    Weird! I also buy them in bulk, and I’ve never gotten a warped one.

D'Andrea Pro Plec PSA-813eff5e-500d-44b1-b623-76389a764dbd-jpeg

User Info Menu

Last year I bought a couple 651 pro plecs through stringsbymail and they were both warped. Frustrating. I'm pleased to hear the problem will be fixed. I do like them, but I've since discovered D'Addario's Acrylux Nitra picks and I'm not sure I'd switch back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Weird! I also buy them in bulk, and I’ve never gotten a warped one.

D'Andrea Pro Plec PSA-813eff5e-500d-44b1-b623-76389a764dbd-jpeg
    Wonder if it’s an environmental thing.

great picks regardless.

User Info Menu

Since opting out of PP's I have discovered the humble 351 Fender heavy celluloid. To my ears they have a wonderful sweetness, unavailable from no other material I've tried. At $3.99 a dozen too!

Fwiw: on acoustic archtop I get more volume and cut from the heavy than XH. A medium brings even more "cut" but they're floppy. Okay if you're strumming but not a good fit for single note lines.