The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of getting a low cost jazz guitar and the Ibanez AF75 has caught my eye. I dont have a lot of money to spend and I'm just a hobbyist really. I want something that Im not going to have to replace in two or three years because " I've outgrown" the guitar.

Do any of you guys have one or anything similar. Price is a big issue for me.

Ibanez AF75-ibanez-af75d-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well,first find out wich brands make jazzguitars in your price ranch,futher find out what you like!maybe you like thick guitars or not,maybe you like huge necks maybe not;Anyway that ibanez af75 is good as long you a student and most of the people(if not all of us)are student,when you become the new joe pass certainly Gibson will offer you a better guitar.

User Info Menu

If you want a full, hollowbody, twin humbucker jazz guitar then the AF75 is an excellent choice, even at 3 times the price they sell for! I've a number of higher end guitars, acoustic and electric, but the AF stands proudly amongst them; superb build quality, neck, and pups appropriate to the price point. It's well worth paying a little extra for a pro set up with the string gauge of your choice imho. There are other similarly priced guitars, notably by Vintage and Epiphone. Ideally, try before you buy.

User Info Menu

Ibanez are great guitars. Well built, good sound, and they play well. At any price entry point, you can't go wrong. New or used.

User Info Menu

I'm a big guy, and I went to Sam Ash's store in Atlanta to test drive jazz boxes. They folks there were great and allowed me to play several guitars. One of the things I discovered is that the Ibanez boxes are a lot smaller than Epiphones and Washburns and other large jazz boxes. That may be good news or not so good news. I preferred the Epiphone imports to the others and finally got one of those, which I like very much.

To each his own, but jazz box feel, playability and tone is so subjective I would be absolutely certain of my choice by actually playing the different choices before buying one. It will be a little like trying on shoes at the shoe store - you will know when you pick the right one up that it is the one for you.

Big Ron

User Info Menu

Thanks for the relpys guys. As I mentioned before, price is a big issue. Wiskeywheels, so you think it would be worth getting the guitar set-up properly by a luthier? Drop me a PM if you like, I've seen your webpage and am in the Denia area.

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez AF75TDG guitar that is nice and I will probably have it for a while. I purchased it because it was inexpensive and I felt I needed a "jazz" guitar. Part of my criteria was a hollowbody with 24.75" scale length and humbuckers. I was looking for something with an ES-175 type vibe. I got it for $300 USD with HSC.

It was made in china and it does have some finish flaws. It's a good workhorse type guitar and it will be a while before my playing improves to the point where I have "outgrown" the guitar.

I may upgrade to a "real" instrument, after my kids are out of school, but until then this guitar will do.

User Info Menu

I have an AS-75 which I've had for about 10 years. Ibanez give a lot of guitar for the money.

Cut

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by santiboy
    Thanks for the relpys guys. As I mentioned before, price is a big issue. Wiskeywheels, so you think it would be worth getting the guitar set-up properly by a luthier? Drop me a PM if you like, I've seen your webpage and am in the Denia area.
    Thanks for the pm. Yes, I would definitely recommend the set up, although you might be lucky with yours, especially if the string gauge is right for you. I think they come supplied with 10's, and I play 12's.

Are you going ahead with getting one?

User Info Menu

I'm still thinking about it but from what I've seen on the web and the comment posted here I think it might be just what I'm looking for. I'll keep you all posted.

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with mine. Price was a huge consideration for me, and I was always a rock player and didn't have any experience with jazz guitars, but I bought one of these a few years back and we've gotten used to each other and make nice music together.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that supporting advice markerhodes. Additional words to make a purchase. Do you have any videos, mp3 with you using the guitar?

User Info Menu

Hi Guys!
    I´d like to buy a hollow-body guitar and the Ibanez AF75 is one of my options. Another option is the Epiphone Es175. Which one do you think is the the better of the two??
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

The Epiphone ES-175 is MUCH bigger!

I bought the AF-75 because of the price, and I think I got more than I paid for. Mind you, this is NOT in the same class as a $1500+ jazz box, and after some playing you come to realize this. The tone changes a bit drastically depending on whether you are using G-B-E strings at the end of the neck, or E-A-D strings up near the body. Also, the frets on the instrument I bought weren't very level, and I had to do some very careful tapping to eliminate some buzzing. Above the 15th fret (beyond the truss rod), not much more you can do.

But in the "sweet zone" between maybe the 5th and 12th frets, properly set up, it does have the sound you'd expect and it also allows quite low action if that's what you want.

I did some careful A-B comparisons with the AG-75, which is slightly smaller, and found the difference audible although small.

User Info Menu

There's also the newer AFJ85 and AFJ81 models which are very affordable.

User Info Menu

I've got one (AF75) and I love it. Just a great sounding and playing guitar at any price. Replace the factory shipped round-wound 10's with flats in 12's or higher and raise the action - it's a legitimate jazz machine.

The only thing mine lacked was decent tuners. But I got a set of low priced Gotohs from StewMac (around 30 bucks I think, and no mods needed, just drop them in), and problem solved.

Get one. You won't regret it.

User Info Menu

two of my students have AF75's...great guitar for the money...

it's not the instrument but the musician playing it..

I bought my 1977 2355 (ES-175) in 1978...play it everyday..

.014's (flatwound) through a Polytone Mini Brute (1-12)...just a touch of reverb...medium to low action...smoother and less percussive..

time on the instrument..

User Info Menu

An original owner of a '77 Ibanez 2355...SWEET!!! I've seen several sell on that bay place the past 5 weeks. I previously owned a 2460...regret moving it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys!
    I think I will buy the Ibanez !!

User Info Menu

Just ordered a used one, couldn't pass it up for the price. Would a pickup swap be reccomended?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Just ordered a used one, couldn't pass it up for the price. Would a pickup swap be reccomended?
    I'd get to know a guitar for a few months before starting to swap hardware around. Most humbuckers have a fair amount of tuning that can be done in regards to polepiece and pickup height, so I'd start tweaking that first.

I also think the Ibanez pickups aren't that bad, they aren't Throbaks or Wizz pickups, but they are serviceable. You'd probably notice more of a difference putting in a quality harness, tbh.

Good luck with your tone search!

User Info Menu

The low end Ibanez are very nice

AF75 or an AF55 ....

I'd get the 55 ,
    incredible bang for the buck really
    i can't believe what you get for your money
    not affiliated

User Info Menu

There's not a whole lot of difference in price between the entry level AF series and the more elaborately appointed models. So if bling is your thing, you have a price point you need to meet, and you're not in a hurry keep your eye on the web for AF deals. Many like Epiphones that have already been upgraded the modded AF are also out there.

User Info Menu

I have one. The stock neck pickup sounds great. Very stable neck with flawless fretwork. The neck itself was a bit thinner than I prefer, but it's a very nice guitar for very little money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    The stock pickups are nice. Live with them for a while before you think about swapping pickups