The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 350

User Info Menu

Here's my Toob 10T at rehearsal band. I put it in the centre of the room with a long cable to my Milkman 100 pedal amp. Everyone can hear it at fairly low volume.

Future of jazz guitar amplification?-pxl_20220215_164707409-mp-jpgFuture of jazz guitar amplification?-pxl_20220215_170106508-mp-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Despite the sound-isolated ceiling. A hard ceiling is all the acoustic lens you need. Playing upright outdoors doesn't work too well.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 02-15-2022 at 04:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I suspect that when the boomer generation is no longer driving trends, everything will be some variant of modeling.

User Info Menu

I’ve been doing that with my TOOB a lot. Sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Jolly nice serve, Pingu! Attached a photo showing a Metro 6.5BG+ in upright position, and a Custom BG+ in Electric Blue Python Tolex, with the upright legs loose and their sockets evident in the back plate.

The SuperBlocks dock nicely lengthwise, i.e. with all controls facing the player when in horizontal position. The hook-and-loop strips have never failed; I'm using the quality that the drone guys have found the most reliable. (My sone is a drone pro and a helluva shredder.)

Today I took the SBUK to band rehearsals instead of the SBUS. It did nice clean jazz on the middle Vox setting and with the knobs as in the photo.
    I could do with that on my metros. Ah, well

User Info Menu

Back in uni some guys in my class were doing a thesis on 360^ cameras. We’re talking 1999 here. Mobiles were still 1g.

they had a camera lens beamed vertically up at a mirror with a clever shape- like a 3D sinusoidal peak or bell curve even.
    this would give them a wonderfully warped polar image they used signal analysis to unwrap to make a 360 degree landscape view.
    the idea was you could plonk it on the roof of a car and identify vertical structures like lamp poles, sign posts, people’s legs, pre defined marker points and go autonomous driving.
    Drop bear defended were poor. No visibility directly overhead.

can the same concept be reversed on the toob speaker to give 360 planar dispersion for outside (and indoor) use?
    instead of light wave energy reflected into a camera, reflect sound wave energy out off the back side of a speaker?

that way you could have the directional audience dispersion forward of the speaker and the band can hear the dispersed noise From the back side of the cabinet?

It’s not too different to the concept in that Bose speaker image before. I think some of those JBL portable Bluetooth speakers do something similar to cap the ends of their speakers.

User Info Menu

Mike, the open-back Toob 12J is probably more omnidirectional than any other cab in the caliber. Part of the explanation is the lack of a baffle around the speaker. Smaller speakers offer broader projection and less of a treble spike. One solution is to use one cab pointing upward (for the band) and another towards the audience. Simple and still just 10 lbs (6.5" caliber) to 20 lbs (12") cargo.

In 2014-15 I made several quite complex prototypes trying to control the speaker's back wave and spread it in all directions. With my then skills and knowledge, they failed or were just too difficult to make. As hinted in a previous post, there's one or two ideas I'm still hatching. This thread may have rekindled something already archived. Power need, weight, complexity and bass response all factor in. After all, we're talking of instruments rather than furniture here. Broader shoulders and external funding would help. I've already spent too much of my kids' inheritance into this folly. However, I don't want to owe anything to anybody except myself.

User Info Menu

Despite the sound-isolated ceiling. A hard ceiling is all the acoustic lens you need. Playing upright outdoors doesn't work too well.
    Let the Angels hear it, I say!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Here's my Toob 10T at rehearsal band. I put it in the centre of the room with a long cable to my Milkman 100 pedal amp. Everyone can hear it at fairly low volume.

Future of jazz guitar amplification?-pxl_20220215_170106508-mp-jpg
    That long speaker cable is probably more expensive than the cab!

User Info Menu

Jolly nice serve, Pingu! Attached a photo showing a Metro 6.5BG+ in upright position, and a Custom BG+ in Electric Blue Python Tolex, with the upright legs loose and their sockets evident in the back plate.
    looks like I couldn’t use those vertical legs with my basic toob metro ....

I’d need the mounting holes on the back
    plate which I don’t have on mine

is that correct ?

ps yes the superblock looks good on there ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    That long speaker cable is probably more expensive than the cab!

Any longer and I’d have latency issues! The band is spread out according to Covid rules, makes it hard to keep the rhythm section in sync.

User Info Menu

You can make long speaker cable for a reasonable price. Home improvement stores sell electric cable as extension cords or on bulk rolls, sold by the foot. True, it comes with an extra conductor, but that's easily cut off. If the cable will carry 110VAC at high currents, it will carry audio current fine. You need end connectors, but those are easily available. I prefer SpeakOn connectors, because they easily allow use of heavy cable and they won't short when connected to the amp or the cabinet. The few cabinets I've ever bought with 1/4" jacks I immediately converted to SpeakOn. If an amp has only 1/4" outputs, I use an adapter pigtail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    looks like I couldn’t use those vertical legs with my basic toob metro ....

I’d need the mounting holes on the back
    plate which I don’t have on mine

is that correct ?

ps yes the superblock looks good on there ....
    Correct. Your version has four portholes and barely enough wood for the sockets. This is all nitty-gritty, so I've sent you an e-mail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz

Future of jazz guitar amplification?-pxl_20220215_164707409-mp-jpgFuture of jazz guitar amplification?-pxl_20220215_170106508-mp-jpg

Mars Insight lander (I'm sorry, I can't resist)
    Attached Images Attached Images Future of jazz guitar amplification?-370_insight-lander-pia22743-16x9-jpg 

User Info Menu

Warning, a bit of a personal rant:

I've been getting along fine now with my Quilter combos, Bud 6, and Genzlers. At my advanced age, I'm more concerned about $ going towards my health, maintaining the homestead, and toward a retirement from the day job.

But this is a whole 'nother issue. At what point/age do you cut back tremendously on gear because of living logistics? I've been in the northeast my whole life, all my contacts and music biz is here. Gigging almost every week. If I move south, what do I take? No more roomy studio in the house? Who to connect with? Theater work? Just give it all up? That would kill me.

What I'd REALLY like is a Quilter combo with an adjustable tweeter. One amp. For now if I use the Quilter I have to bring and attach my Henriksen Tweety if I need the amp to do elec and acous.

<rant over>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike

Must be very expensive but I am guessing a good clean Full Voltage tube preamp into a properly designed high headroom class D Power section will nail it for me. And they are close to (large) Pedal-sized at that!
    At least four established names are very close to this. Call me a nerd but it is exciting to see the evolution unfolding. I suspect though I am part of too small a market to cater to. Never know though: "Pedal platform amps" are down the right path at least.

EM.
    I’d love to learn more about this. I suspect the execution is more involved than the idea, but why did this take so long? Curious which four established names? How close are they and when might these make their debut? Refinement of class D designs has evolved substantially, some might say revolutionized, in the bass amplification arena. (As someone who schlepped an SVT around for a few years, I don’t think that’s too strong a statement). I would think there’s market share to be gained in the electric guitar side of things with the tube preamp/class D power amp approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    Mars Insight lander (I'm sorry, I can't resist)
    Haha! My Hungarian reseller posted a photo of a similar Toob 10T telescopic standing upright on a meadow and called it a garden barbecue.

User Info Menu

Correct. Your version has four portholes and barely enough wood for the sockets. This is all nitty-gritty, so I've sent you an e-mail.
    thanks Gitter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike

snip
    I am guessing a good clean Full Voltage tube preamp into a properly designed high headroom class D Power section will nail it for me. And they are close to (large) Pedal-sized at that!
    At least four established names are very close to this. Call me a nerd but it is exciting to see the evolution unfolding.
    snip
    yes !
    I think that will nail it for me too ....
    it will be interesting to see what appears
    on the market

User Info Menu

One solution is to use one cab pointing upward (for the band) and another towards the audience.
    Another is down-firing. I’ve built a few frames with legs that held a cabinet face down and at varying heights above the floor. I once put threaded insets in each corner of the baffle of a 12” cabinet into which I could screw furniture legs to hold it face down like a small 4 legged table. This is just a variation of my long time practice of pointing my speaker at the wall behind the stage or performance area for wide diffusion with no beaming.

I found downward firing to work very well on firm, smooth flooring. Carpet cuts diffusion and alters frequency response audibly and unpredictably - only some of the shortest napped, hardest industrial carpets and mats work for this. But wood, tile etc really spread your sound in most rooms. There are plant stands that are simply rimmed rings on legs. With a ring of cork or other non-marring non-slip material on it, a Toob would sit nicely on one and fire downward.

I also wonder if the downward firing rear port(s) aren’t an important part of the benefit of upward firing of the driver. Those ports release a lot of acoustic energy.

User Info Menu

that’s very interesting you’ve tried that
    downfiring onto various surfaces

its only a step away from downfiring
    onto a (conical ?) waveguide ....

Future of jazz guitar amplification?-e134c97e-13cc-4a44-8959-5617af0e64f7-jpg

a ‘waterfall’ of sound

which my my instinct tells me might
    give even better dispersion in the horizontal plane

i hope that sketch makes sense !
    the dotted lines are legs (or some kind of acoustically transparent
    support , a grill maybe)

User Info Menu

Fun facts for reference:
    I remember an interview with Randy Bachman where he mentioned how he already in the '60s, in the studio, flipped a Tweed Deluxe on its back on a carpet, speaker towards the ceiling, and sometimes experimented with the amp laying flat on its face, open back up.
    This pioneer and hall of fame inductee is still gigging, I think he's even doing some "Jazz" these days. Respect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit

I also wonder if the downward firing rear port(s) aren’t an important part of the benefit of upward firing of the driver. Those ports release a lot of acoustic energy.
    Yes they are, and that's what happens with the upward-firing Toobs. But with them, that's just an option; they all are meant to be played in normal, slightly inclined position as a default.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    that’s very interesting you’ve tried that
    downfiring onto various surfaces

its only a step away from downfiring
    onto a (conical ?) waveguide ....

Future of jazz guitar amplification?-e134c97e-13cc-4a44-8959-5617af0e64f7-jpg

a ‘waterfall’ of sound

which my my instinct tells me might
    give even better dispersion in the horizontal plane

i hope that sketch makes sense !
    the dotted lines are legs (or some kind of acoustically transparent
    support , a grill maybe)
    Pingu, your sketch makes perfect sense. But can't it be inverted 180 degrees? I may be wrong but I believe that what you call waveguides are the more efficient the higher the frequency, so the dispersed/"broadcast" sound is more trebly than the original. What I have no idea of is the optimal density of the waveguide material, i.e. would a skimpy trumpet-shaped plastic deflector work or would it have to be a heavy chunk of precision-turned metal? My experience so far suggests that volumes and shapes matter more than materials in cab design.

User Info Menu

Acoustic Image has an upward-firing cabinet:

Didn't they have one with a pair of 10" speakers (Ten-two or something like that) that had one down-firing? Googles... The Ten2: