The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 178

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    I bought my Fender picks from my local guitar shop in town.
    This is how to do it. You see what you are buying. The shop's owner makes a modest profit.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    This is how to do it. You see what you are buying. The shop's owner makes a modest profit.
    "Physically" walking to the shop, seeing with my own eyes and touching, first... that's always my first choice, for guitars and gear (and, possibly, everything else). Buying online, for me, is the (rare) ecception. "I'm old fashioned".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    I think you misunderstood me.I'm saying your fender pick does not look like celluoid while frabarmus definitely is.Your pick looks red and seems to be made from a different substance which might be different in size.
    Ah, got it. My answer is still the same, though. It's an older Fender pick, made with high quality celluloid. It maybe looks a little a little redder in the photo than in the flesh.

User Info Menu

FourOnSix, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope Osiama takes them back.
    Thanks.

[/QUOTE]Like nyc chaz, I'm beginning to doubt that your Fender Pick and my Fender pick are exactly the same... not just the material but also the shape and size? I wish we could compare them side by side. Yours looks slightly different in colour/texture (more reddish and plain?) and the shape of it looks (to me) slightly more rounded on top and sides? I bought my Fender picks from my local guitar shop in town.[/QUOTE]

I have both an older and a newer Fender 358, and they are essentially the same size top to bottom.

User Info Menu

Like nyc chaz, I'm beginning to doubt that your Fender Pick and my Fender pick are exactly the same... not just the material but also the shape and size? I wish we could compare them side by side. Yours looks slightly different in colour/texture (more reddish and plain?) and the shape of it looks (to me) slightly more rounded on top and sides? I bought my Fender picks from my local guitar shop in town.
    Is your Proplec a 310 or a 354? That would cinch it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    It's 358, 6 piece tin.

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0492-jpg
    Plectrums for Jazz-img_0493-jpg

User Info Menu

Looks like 358 size may vary (though very slightly)

User Info Menu

Interesting. I just heard back from Osiamo.

"Regarding the size of the picks, sometimes Pickboy produces smaller size jazz picks for the
    Japanese market. I'm checking with them to see if we received an incorrect batch. I'll
    get back to you when I hear from them and let you know if we can get you the size pick
    that you ordered and want."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    I'm not familiar with 310 or 354... I imagined them bigger, not smaller, and thought Proplec 358 (or 358 in general) were the smallest. Are there any small teardrop jazz picks that are smaller than those?

User Info Menu

...is there a chart, somewhere online, that shows (visually) the difference in size and shape of all the different "numbers" with which pick size/shape are defined?

User Info Menu

310 is large!

Just a moment...

User Info Menu

...is there a chart, somewhere online, that shows (visually) the difference in size and shape of all the different "numbers" with which pick size/shape are defined?
    Assuming these are shown to scale, you can find the relative sizes here

https://dandreausa.com/guitar-picks/

User Info Menu

354 looks very similar to 358 (in shape) but I cannot figure out the size...

Fender Pick 354 Shape heavy Shell 12-Pack | MUSIC STORE professional

User Info Menu

354 looks bigger and longer than 358. I guess we can conclude that 358 is the smallest.

User Info Menu

354 looks bigger and longer than 358. I guess we can conclude that 358 is the smallest.
    There's a thread about that here.

Fender picks 354 vs 358 (size)

User Info Menu

347 looks smaller than 358... or, at least, shorter and with a more rounded shape. Interesting and probabily worth a try.
    But I'm happy enough with 358... I'm not gonna go out of my way to try one (unless I come across one).

User Info Menu

347 looks smaller than 358... or, at least, shorter and with a more rounded shape. Interesting and probabily worth a try.
    But I'm happy enough with 358... I'm not gonna go out of my way to try one (unless I come across one).
    I have some 347-ish picks from Westville. They are superb quality picks. It looks like the same formulation of celluloid as PickBoy, which makes sense, as they are both Japanese. I rarely use them, however, as I have a preference for the 358s. They run a pretty close second, though.

User Info Menu

Were any of you, fellow 358 lovers, aware of Ernie Ball Prodigy 358 picks?

In the photo, between a Tortex and a Fender (for comparison), two Ernie Balls: the white one (slightly bigger/longer than the black one) is 2mm, the black one is 1.5mm. Of all my 358s they're the ones with the most pointed tip.

Just got them today and will take some time to try them properly tomorrow. Got them from one of three main guitar shops in my town, all three have 358s but each shop has only one brand of 358s. One has Tortex, one has Fenders and one has Ernie Balls.

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0502-jpg

User Info Menu

Like nyc chaz, I'm beginning to doubt that your Fender Pick and my Fender pick are exactly the same... not just the material but also the shape and size? I wish we could compare them side by side. Yours looks slightly different in colour/texture (more reddish and plain?) and the shape of it looks (to me) slightly more rounded on top and sides? I bought my Fender picks from my local guitar shop in town. I'm really enjoying my new Pickboys, both soundwise and feelwise, I got just one 10 pack.
    Every Fender 358 I've seen, and that includes ones from the 90s up to those presently available, have been essentially the same shape and size. I'm baffled.

User Info Menu

After looking at all these suggestions I found the picks below in my pick stash and now are my favorite sounding picks for carved archtop. I normally play standard size and hold it sideways and play with the edge. When I looked for a plain standard pick equivalent I really got lost. So Jazz 123 refer to shape? Red sound different than black, A primegrip 96 is close but not as bright. What I like is the pick is loud and bright and all overtones can be heard (really loud!) I tried a standard size nylon but the raised writing gets in the way. The thickness on the picks below is 1.14 . I went on Sw water and amazon and it was like 2 different Dunlop company's. In short, a standard size of the one below with a smooth edge would be the ticket. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Does anyone know the difference between a Proplec 351 and a 651?

Have they sorted out their material so they don’t warp anymore?

Thanks,
    Rustic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    So Jazz 123 refer to shape?
    For Dunlop picks (like the one in your photo) "Jazz" refers to shape while "I, II and III" (1, 2 and 3) refer to thickness, III being the thickest.

User Info Menu

P.S. I've got some Jazz IIs and IIIs, both black and red and, personally, didn't notice any particular difference in sound between red and black... I think they're made of the same material...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic
    Does anyone know the difference between a Proplec 351 and a 651?
    351 is the most common/classic pick shape
    651 is more similar to a Dunlop "Jazz" shape (likely slightly smaller than a 351).

dAndrea Pro Plec-351 Shape – Thomann Italia

https://dandreausa.com/product/guita...lec-651-shape/

User Info Menu

For Dunlop picks (like the one in your photo) "Jazz" refers to shape while "I, II and III" (1, 2 and 3) refer to thickness, III being the thickest.
    The shapes of I,II,III look different and the thicknesses aren't given. Im finding it impossible to figure out what dunlop is selling as the descriptions seem to assume your already familiar. I have standard size "tortex" with different colors representing different thickness but after that The other picks dont give enough info to know what Id be getting. Bought several sample packs eliminating most. What Im looking for is the brightness and volume of the picks in my images but bigger and smoother, dont care what brand. Im assuming picks made from the same material would sound the same?
    Man, I had no idea picks were such a rabbit hole! (i meant wabbit...)