The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 178

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    The shapes of I,II,III look different and the thicknesses aren't given. Im finding it impossible to figure out what dunlop is selling as the descriptions seem to assume your already familiar. I have standard size "tortex" with different colors representing different thickness but after that The other picks dont give enough info to know what Id be getting. Bought several sample packs eliminating most. What Im looking for is the brightness and volume of the picks in my images but bigger and smoother, dont care what brand. Im assuming picks made from the same material would sound the same?
    Man, I had no idea picks were such a rabbit hole! (i meant wabbit...)
    Jazz i is1.10mm,Jazz ii is 1.18mm and Jazz iii is1.38 and you have a choice of a rounded tip or pointed.Hope this helps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Further to nyc chaz post.

The red ones feel and sound different to me !
    Sound and tactile feel are personal matters.
    I tried all of those Jazz 111's when they first came out.
    The rounder the tip, the darker "warmer" the tone.
    The black were marketed as having "Stiffo" [ahem] added to them and to me
    they indeed seem to be harder than their red counterparts.

Ultimately I went with the red Jazz111's. Very accurate attack and for a warmer sound I turn the
    pick around....for ballads, octaves etc

Another thing that rarely gets a mention is that the Jim Dunlop imprint can be more easily felt on certain batches.
    So...I always buy them from a store I can visit...pour out the picks on the counter and go through them to pick the grippier ones.
    The guys know me and humor me LOL

A couple more things [yep] are that some batches sound less clear or bright on picking the strings.
    I like the brighter ones, I find they are more balanced across the strings.Again that would be due to the batch of nylon
    they used.
    Finally, there's usually a slight "lip" around the edge, particularly noticeable near the point....OK I take
    some 1200 grit wet or dry paper and smooth 'em off while watching TV or something.

Apart from that, it's really plain sailing LOL

User Info Menu

Dunlop says, 'Available in the warm sounding Red Nylon or the brighter, more aggressive sounding Black “Stiffo.”' There's the difference.

User Info Menu

Thanks, so what Im looking for is something that sounds like the "stiffo" but is smooth in a standard pick size.......any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Plectrums for Jazz-screenshot_2023-07-23-21-36-50-258_com-amazon-mshop-android-shopping-jpg

User Info Menu

I think thats the ticket! Thanks just ordered

User Info Menu

Hi all

I saw an interview with the most awesome Dean Parks the other day. In the interview Dean mentioned using a Clayton pick. Had to get one to try and I have to say it’s it’s great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon
    Hi all

I saw an interview with the most awesome Dean Parks the other day. In the interview Dean mentioned using a Clayton pick. Had to get one to try and I have to say it’s it’s great.
    I've been using a 1mm Clayton Acetal Polymer rounded triangle for about a year now. They are certainly not the easiest of picks to use particularly when used gently but the tone they produce is perfect. Had to very slightly round the tips and add a slight taper.

User Info Menu

Hi all

Well, I have finally decided to purchase a Blue Chip Jazz 60 Pick today.
    Hope I’m not disappointed. It cost me £40!

User Info Menu

Hi all

Well, I have finally decided to purchase a Blue Chip Jazz 60 Pick today.
    Hope I’m not disappointed. It cost me £40!
    Let us know if it was worth it...

User Info Menu

Just ordered: to try

John Petrucci Jazz III
    Dunlop Jazz III XL
    Dunlop Jazz II

Any thoughts anyone?

User Info Menu

I just switched to StoneWorks Jazz III style. $25 a piece, but they do not seem to wear at all, and unlike some other stone picks I've tried he's figured out how to shape the tip so the attack is smooth with no scratchy sound.

User Info Menu

Just ordered: to try

John Petrucci Jazz III
    Dunlop Jazz III XL
    Dunlop Jazz II

Any thoughts anyone?
    I use red Jazz III ones usually - but I actually find the normal one of these easier to grip than the 'max grip' one!

How have you found the Blue Chip?

User Info Menu

I just ordered a nut and saddle from GraphTech, and they threw in a sample pack of Tusq picks as a freebie. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm looking forward to trying them out. Don't know if they'll go into my pick pouch or my big box of unused picks, kept just in case I ever need one of them. So far, I haven't, but one never knows...

I find that the Blue Chip picks are very sticky. I can remove my thumb (or finger) and the pick will stay on the other, even when it's on the bottom. Sometimes it's a little difficult to adjust the position. The Petrucci picks are probably my second favorite picks right now. I like the tone I get from them.

User Info Menu

It’s mother of pearl for me:

Plectrums for Jazz-img_6639-jpeg

Slightly smaller and slightly pointier than standard 3 5 1 pick. It requires precise technique… it’s worth the effort

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I just ordered a nut and saddle from GraphTech, and they threw in a sample pack of Tusq picks as a freebie. I'm not sure what to expect, but I'm looking forward to trying them out. Don't know if they'll go into my pick pouch or my big box of unused picks, kept just in case I ever need one of them. So far, I haven't, but one never knows...

I find that the Blue Chip picks are very sticky. I can remove my thumb (or finger) and the pick will stay on the other, even when it's on the bottom. Sometimes it's a little difficult to adjust the position. The Petrucci picks are probably my second favorite picks right now. I like the tone I get from them.
    That's just what I like about them- as they warm up they get a bit sticky, so they never spin out and I never drop them!

But mostly I just think the tone and playability is great. Not for people who lose picks on the gig however!

User Info Menu

I bit whatever the stuff is they use to make the Blue Chip a few weeks ago. Got a 60 jazz and really liked it, enough to get another and also try a large version, and this is the pick for me. Excellent tone, not too dark at all, nice full round sound. The material seems to soften slightly where you hold it, maybe not, but the grip starts good and gets better as you play. I'd been using the red Duncans and similar size gravity picks. I was very surprised how much I prefer the larger jazz size. It gives me more confidence I will always get a good strike. It helps that I never lose picks, not even when I was a kid. I ended up with 3 large 60s, one each for my 3 jazz guitars, (two archtops and a tele) and 1 large 40. I tried a small 40 I liked it better for very light 9's on my rock guitars and wanted the larger size as well. The company is very good about exchanging and they have a 30 day no question return policy so I was able to exchange 3 smalls for 3 large. I likely will be playing these as long as I play as I understand they do not wear. They improve the tone enough for me to hear and play great. Well worth it.

User Info Menu

They do wear, but very slowly. My preference changes from guitar to guitar, and amp to amp, and even day to day. I have Blue Chips in 35, 40, 50, and 60, in various shapes, mostly acquired as gifts. I haven't lost one yet. And I agree, the stickiness to the finger is a feature, not a bug.

User Info Menu

They do wear, but very slowly. My preference changes from guitar to guitar, and amp to amp, and even day to day. I have Blue Chips in 35, 40, 50, and 60, in various shapes, mostly acquired as gifts. I haven't lost one yet. And I agree, the stickiness to the finger is a feature, not a bug.
    so the universe decided to play a fortunately, very gentle joke on me. Literally within minutes of my posting I was changing guitars and getting ready for a recording and I must’ve set the pic loosely in the guitar and I looked and it was gone! I search for about 15 minutes, and I have to admit, I cursed once or twice but mostly I laughed, especially at the absurdity of me tempting fate by saying I’ve never lost a pic! I guess I did enough penance, and I peaked under the edge of a rug, and somehow it slipped right under there . So thanks, I guess, for tempting me to even look further at their offerings. I love the idea of stocking stuffers, and I have a very supportive wife when it comes to my music!

User Info Menu

My kids keep asking me what I want for Christmas and my birthday, and I just send a link to my wish list on the BC site. They're fine with paying that amount for something I want, instead of more for something I might not like so much. I'm about to run out of choices, though.

User Info Menu

Yes, I have a couple of 35's, 40's and 50's. Some are 3-4 years old with regular playing. They do wear a bit but it tends to be the bevel that develops from you normal playing, so they kid of get a bit better over time. Not like the old celluloids that get raspy on the edge with wear.

User Info Menu

Hi all

The quest for the perfect Jazz pick goes on……

I just purchased this ‘Jazz Tones’ pick from Dirty Riffs here in the UK and I have to it is awesome! This Pick produces a lovely warm tone, very precise over the strings. Well worth trying.

Attached Images Attached Images Plectrums for Jazz-9068198d-82bb-468b-8539-664b7ab98fd8-jpeg 
    Last edited by sicourtjon; 10-29-2023 at 05:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I received the Tusq picks, and they sound pretty bad. GraphTech is not kidding about the picks producing harmonic overtones. They mistakenly sent me three packs instead of one, and now I have a large surplus supply. If anyone wants a sample, let me know and I'll send you one.

User Info Menu

@coyote-1: Where did you get the MOP picks that you show, and are liking?

User Info Menu

I play some wooden picks. Quite a difference between the several types. If it's hard wood the sound is brighter. The softer the wood the mellower the tone.
    On my as335type i play common plastic dunlop. Quite thin.