The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I have a 1989 Benedetto Fratello, built by Bob in Clearwater FL. I replaced the original pickup with one of the Benedetto-labeled Kent Armstrong mini humbuckers that Bob was using in the nineties. I am thinking about putting the original pickup back on the guitar again. I would really like to know more about it though. It looks like a Johnny Smith pickup with a black cover and a home-made looking flange which was glued to a piece of ebony on the back of the pickguard. I have seen all kinds of different pickups on early Benedetto’s, before he began using the smooth-top Kent Armstrong. I seem to remember Bob saying that he modified Gibson Johnny Smith pickups for a while back then. Does anyone know how to confirm this, or otherwise identify it? I attached a couple of photos.

Thanks,
    Keith

What kind of pickup was on my 1989 Benedetto Fratello?-7f438316-ed49-4c07-b191-0073f9cde303-jpg

What kind of pickup was on my 1989 Benedetto Fratello?-69c30f70-af1a-4af2-9b68-2a944f01f486-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Your easiest bet is to email Cindy Benedetto. She's incredible kind and knowledgeable and should be able to help you no problem.

https://benedettoguitarsarchives.com/contact/

User Info Menu

Man, that is one homemade looking pickup under the cover. The base plate, the galvanized sheet metal strap, the mounting flange, crude soldering, hacksawed off pole piece screws... Holy cow! And for all that it might sound great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Man, that is one homemade looking pickup under the cover. The base plate, the galvanized sheet metal strap, the mounting flange, crude soldering, hacksawed off pole piece screws... Holy cow! And for all that it might sound great!
    Yes, it’s not pretty from the back. That’s why I took it off and put a nice S-6 pickup on it. But now, I’m wondering if those adjustable pole pieces would be nice to have.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 07-01-2021 at 07:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Your easiest bet is to email Cindy Benedetto. She's incredible kind and knowledgeable and should be able to help you no problem.

https://benedettoguitarsarchives.com/contact/
    Thanks for Cindy’s contact info. I met Cindy a couple of times when I was first looking at Benedetto guitars back in the day. She is a lovely person. Maybe she can help solve the mystery for me.
    Keith

User Info Menu

My 1990 Benedetto Cremona has a Bartolini pickup. I think Bob installed those on many of his builds around that time. I have no reason to think it's not original to the guitar.
    I'm happy with it and have no plans to change it out. I've spoken to Bob and he confirmed installing those pickups.

User Info Menu

Homemade ? Or adapted from a top mounting pickup to a floater, I think

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    My 1990 Benedetto Cremona has a Bartolini pickup. I think Bob installed those on many of his builds around that time. I have no reason to think it's not original to the guitar.
    I'm happy with it and have no plans to change it out. I've spoken to Bob and he confirmed installing those pickups.
    Yes he did use Bartolini’s for a while. This is from Bob’s 1992 brochure:
    What kind of pickup was on my 1989 Benedetto Fratello?-5564bbce-202e-4612-a62d-67d963e0837e-jpeg
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Homemade ? Or adapted from a top mounting pickup to a floater, I think
    Or possibly adapted from a neck mount to a pickguard mount.
    Keith

User Info Menu

My first thought was Bartolini but most I've seen didn't have visible polepieces and had their name embossed. Maybe Bob ordered them that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    My first thought was Bartolini but most I've seen didn't have visible polepieces and had their name embossed. Maybe Bob ordered them that way.
    It has a metal cover, so I do t think so. I wonder of it could be identified if I removed the cover and looked at the Bobbins.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have a 1989 Benedetto Fratello, built by Bob in Clearwater FL. I replaced the original pickup with one of the Benedetto-labeled Kent Armstrong mini humbuckers that Bob was using in the nineties. I am thinking about putting the original pickup back on the guitar again. I would really like to know more about it though. It looks like a Johnny Smith pickup with a black cover and a home-made looking flange which was glued to a piece of ebony on the back of the pickguard. I have seen all kinds of different pickups on early Benedetto’s, before he began using the smooth-top Kent Armstrong. I seem to remember Bob saying that he modified Gibson Johnny Smith pickups for a while back then. Does anyone know how to confirm this, or otherwise identify it? I attached a couple of photos.

Thanks,
    Keith

Hi Keith, not sure if you ever found your answer but that is an '80's Gibson mini humbucker, mounting ears cut off and cover painted black. If you were to remove the popsicle stick flange, it's stamped, "PAT. NO. 2737842" on the bottom of the pickup case. I had the same in my first '89 Manhattan and Cindy indicated they used to get creative sourcing pickups in those days, for a time buying Gibson minis.

Good luck!
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    Hi Keith, not sure if you ever found your answer but that is an '80's Gibson mini humbucker, mounting ears cut off and cover painted black. If you were to remove the popsicle stick flange, it's stamped, "PAT. NO. 2737842" on the bottom of the pickup case. I had the same in my first '89 Manhattan and Cindy indicated they used to get creative sourcing pickups in those days, for a time buying Gibson minis.

Good luck!
    Mike
    Mike:
    Thanks for the response to this old thread. I actually got in touch with Bob and he couldn’t recall, but thought it could have been a modified Gibson pickup. As you indicated, Bob said that he had to be creative in finding pickups in those days. Sometime in the mid-1990’s I replaced that “creative” one with the engraved Benedetto/Kent Armstrong floating pickup that Bob was using at that time. I left the KA on the guitar for the next 25 years or so. It sounded great but I do prefer adjustable pole pieces, which is why I started asking about the original pickup again in this thread. I ended up putting it back on the guitar and I am really pleased with it. It sounds excellent and I rather like the looks of it. I attached a picture of the guitar with the original pickup back on.
    Thanks for the info!
    Keith
    What kind of pickup was on my 1989 Benedetto Fratello?-version-1-uuid-80e52b37-b257-418c-8959-3166c10dcc5b-mode-compatible-noloc-1-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Mike:
    Thanks for the response to this old thread. I actually got in touch with Bob and he couldn’t recall, but thought it could have been a modified Gibson pickup. As you indicated, Bob said that he had to be creative in finding pickups in those days. Sometime in the mid-1990’s I replaced that “creative” one with the engraved Benedetto/Kent Armstrong floating pickup that Bob was using at that time. I left the KA on the guitar for the next 25 years or so. It sounded great but I do prefer adjustable pole pieces, which is why I started asking about the original pickup again in this thread. I ended up putting it back on the guitar and I am really pleased with it. It sounds excellent and I rather like the looks of it. I attached a picture of the guitar with the original pickup back on.
    Thanks for the info!
    Keith
    What kind of pickup was on my 1989 Benedetto Fratello?-version-1-uuid-80e52b37-b257-418c-8959-3166c10dcc5b-mode-compatible-noloc-1-jpeg
    That fratello is a real beauty. Nice.
    How would you describe the difference in tone switching back from the S6 to that mini Gibby?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    That fratello is a real beauty. Nice.
    How would you describe the difference in tone switching back from the S6 to that mini Gibby?
    Mike:
    Thanks. It really is a wonderful guitar. To be honest, I can’t say the tone seemed much different between the two pickups. My guitar has a tone control, so I was able to dial in a nice warm tone that sounded just right to me with both pickups. I recall that the KA was very nice, but it lacked adjustable pole pieces.
    Keith

User Info Menu

My 1990 Cremona with the Bartolini pickup. It has a volume control but no tone control. I'm very happy the setup. I use my Evans JE 200 for tone control on gigs. Beautiful Fratello!
    What kind of pickup was on my 1989 Benedetto Fratello?-20230710_115836-jpg

User Info Menu

Of all the floating pickups, I've always liked that Bartolini 5J the best. It sounded great on carved top Benedetto's and Eastmans I've put it on.
    For mounted pickups, it's the Kent Armstrong adjustable pole PAF all the way for me - the best jazz tone i've gotten.