The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

So do you justeep tuning the strings till they settle in?How do you address the intonation issue of the tapes

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Been through several sets over the years, 12-54 I don't have any tape intonation problems and they are soft to the touch w/ a nice nylon-ish sound and they last a long time and are easy on the picks.....

I Have then on my Sadowski, Ibanez (2) Peerless and D'angelico.
    Most important thing is to not cut the tops too short or the upper strings may unwind a bit causing intonation problems,
    Leave a few inches with the purple material showing! this is KEY!!!

User Info Menu

i mainly finger pick flesh mostly and as i get older i think these may be easier on the hands solo jazz playing or chord melody.And thanks for the info!!!!

User Info Menu

I have used these on my Eastman AR-371 with no issues.

User Info Menu

The 77 Hawk Jazz I got a few months ago had a set of these mounted (12-52). I thought they sounded nice , but the lack of tension felt really weird to me. This guitar has a slightly shorter scale length (24.55"), which maybe exacerbated that. I took them off pretty much right away and put Chromes on, which feel much better to me.

John

User Info Menu

Adding my 2¢ to this thread because I asked La Bella a question on Jazz Tapes tension via email. I was trying the 12s on my guitar and they felt very loose to me so I was considering 14s.

Their answer:
    "...tape wounds in general have very light tension. We suggest to ignore the number on the gauges, and just look at the tension name e.g. the 14s are medium tension similar to a medium electric guitar set that is 10-48."

So there you go, if you like regular 10s on your electric guitar the feel will be similar with Jazz Tapes in 14s. The 1st string is still going to be a .14 vs. a .10 but overall the tension will be "medium."

User Info Menu

Getting fret buzz.?Put 12s on my Eastman 403.and i accidently tune them up almost a n octave tuned them back to standard did i ruin them?
    Last edited by EarlBrother; 10-08-2021 at 04:48 PM.

User Info Menu

There is also the Rotosound Top Tapes: RS200 Top Tape Monel Flatwound Electric Guitar Strings 12-52 Gauge

I might try them for the Monel connection. Anyone tried them?

User Info Menu

Hey Rob im curious too, 12US$ a set beats the TI JS at 24!
    Search on the forum there are some interesting comments on Roto flats.

User Info Menu

Getting fret buzz.?Put 12s on my Eastman 403.and i accidently tune them up almost a n octave tuned them back to standard did i ruin them?

You're probably getting fret buzz because of the lower tension. Check the neck relief, which may be too little, or even perhaps some backbow, depending on the neck. I don't know what was on the guitar before this set, but the difference in tension could be fairly large. I check relief if I change by even one thou, but I keep a straight neck and very low action on my electrics.

User Info Menu

I've used Labella tapes 14-67 on my Byrdland for years and have never noticed any intonation issues in particular. In all that time, I might have had one bad set that did not intone correctly. I couldn't stand it, finally decided it was not me or the guitar, replaced them, and the problems went away.

Not sure what you are asking about tension. I like really low action and when the Byrd is set up properly even heavy strings like these are very easy to fret. On my other electrics, I use 9s; although these offer less to pick against, I try not to alter my mechanical technique in either hand) appreciably. That said, yes, the lighter-gauge strings require a bit more finesse in the right hand technique.

HTH

SJ

======

UPDATE: On the aforementioned 9s, I may engage in a variety of shenanigans to get the strings to stretch out and settle in a bit sooner, like pulling on the entire string perpendicular to the fretboard from nut to bridge right after I put them on. This is usually good for a half-step of instant stretch on a new set of strings. On a guitar that I use for blues, rock, etc. uneven stretching comes with the territory, so I am less worried about it. But with the heavy tapes on the jazz box I just let a new set of strings stretch out naturally over a few days. I figure this is the best way to avoid uneven stretching that can mess up intonation.
    Last edited by starjasmine; 10-08-2021 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

TI 13 flats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hey Rob im curious too, 12US$ a set beats the TI JS at 24!
    Search on the forum there are some interesting comments on Roto flats.
    I haven’t used them, but have used Rotosound’s taped bass-guitar strings, and they are wonderful.

User Info Menu

Broturtel.Did you find a happy medium with intonation?Adjusting the guitar itself?Any tips on getting reasonably close?

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR910 that i was looking to tame it's bright sound especially when playing it acoustically.The Jazz Tapes i put on sound really good.I followed jazzimprov's advice earlier in this thread and had zero problems putting them on.I put on 14's but next time i think i will try the 12's.I've always been a Thomastik user but i might try the JazzTapes on some other guitars.Why it took me so long to try them is beyond me,especially since i am a huge Pizzarelli family fan.

User Info Menu

I tried the Labella black tapes gauge 12 on my Gibson ES 175. I loved the percussive sound and the warmth of the strings. But the tension was extremely low, especially for lower strings. The intonation problem came from my fingers not being used to such low tension, so I was always sort of bending them. I never tried the 14th because the low strings seem too huge. Maybe on a longer scale guitar the tension would be less of an issue.

User Info Menu

If the tension was too low, then bigger strings would seem to be a way to provide higher tension. The thing with nylon tapes is that the nylon doesn't affect the tension much if at all, it just increases the diameter. Lower diameter tape-wound strings are pretty light compared to metal-wound strings of comparable diameter. If you want the sound of tapes, you have to live with bigger diameters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Yes thanks.Those TIs will last along time with as much playing as i'm doing lately.Maybe a good excuse to buy another archtop to put those on.
    If you do, I recommend the D'angelico Semi hollow Deluxe SS Baritone! I've used the jazz tapes on a few archtops but moved on. Had a set of 14's left over. I just got the baritone which has a 26.75 " scale and a staircase bridge and the guitar loves these strings!! Provides an acoustic bass like tone for all the lovely bass line opportunities the guitar provides. They fit the bridge and winders which are locking right on the purple wrap. I'm getting a wonderful jazz tone using the p90 neck PUP and also combining the p90 bridge PUP. I got the guitar mostly to simplify lowering the keys of many of my songs as my voice has deepened over the 50 years I've been writing them, The guitar is tuned down to B. Singing a rag time song I wrote in C in Bb with a capo on 3rd fret is SO nice, But I didn't expect how good it would be for jazz. I'll do a NGD with more details soon.