The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I am looking for a 16'' body and maximum 2.75 depth carved spruce top guitar. I would prefer a floating pickup. I haven't seen many options with these specs. My budget is up to $4,000, but closer to $3,000 would be better.

If you know of a match, can you please let me know.

I am aware of the Heritage Sweet 16, but I already have a Heritage 575 so I kind of want to try something different.

Also, if you own something that matches and are looking to sell it, please let me know. I might be interested in buying. Thanks
    Last edited by Kevin; 05-18-2019 at 01:10 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe consider an older Gibson L4 if it's in your price range (3-4k$).......

User Info Menu

Elferink tonemaster?

Tonemaster - Elferink Guitars

User Info Menu

The Sweet 16 is an awesome guitar - one of the few archtops I'd be interested in owning (if I could afford it).

User Info Menu

Benedetto 16-B, especially the custom "one offs"

16-B™ Guitar | 16-B™ Jazz Guitar | Benedetto Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    I am looking for a 16'' body and maximum 2.75 depth carved spruce top guitar. I would prefer a floating pickup. I haven't seen many options with these specs.

If you know of a match, can you please let me know.

I am aware of the Heritage Sweet 16, but I already have a Heritage 575 so I kind of want to try something different.

Also, if you own something that matches and are looking to sell it, please let me know. I might be interested in buying. Thanks
    What is your budget, Kevin?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Benedetto 16-B, especially the custom "one offs"
    Wow, those are elegant and beautiful!

User Info Menu

This Campellone was just listed the other day.
    Campellone Standard Series 16" Campellone Standard Series 16" | AcousticMusic | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Wow, those are elegant and beautiful!
    Indeed they are! But, Bob makes 'em to be played. They just happen to be beautiful, and why not? Interesting looking wood is still just wood.

Thanks for the ideas. Please keep em coming.

The Benedetto's are beautiful, but likely way over my budget. I'm willing to spend up $4,000, but $3,000 would be better.

If a used Campellone comes up for sale under $4k, I think I get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    What is your budget, Kevin?
    In the first paragraph of the original post, the OP said: "My budget is up to $4,000, but closer to $3,000 would be better."

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    In the first paragraph of the original post, the OP said: "My budget is up to $4,000, but closer to $3,000 would be better."
    I edited my original post to add my budget after DRS asked.

Thanks DRS for requesting the critical piece of info.

User Info Menu

Usually at 2.75" body depth you're going to find routed pickups, not floaters. There are rare exceptions.

Also consider that the difference between how a given 3" vs. 2.75" feels depends also on how arched or the back plate is - some are more arched than others.

User Info Menu

A couple more options: Eastman Pisano 880 and Bernie Lehmann Session 16. Eastman is set pickup and Lehmann is floating. Both are hand carved 16's, 2 3/4 deep at the rim. Pre-owned the Pisano was around $2K and the Lehmann $3.5K. I love them both.

I'd post pictures, but the only ones I have are embarrassing. (I need another portrait session someday...)

User Info Menu

Heritage Sweet 16
    Quite a different beast from H575 :
    1 Floating pick-up (instead of 2 set in HB)
    Spruce top (instead of maple)
    Ebony fingerboard (instead of rosewood)

Otherwise, Eastman and you save some bucks for shoes for the wife !

User Info Menu

What about a vintage L-50?

1936 Gibson L-50

User Info Menu

Scale length? Nut width? Overall neck size? Bracing style? (the items that are hard to change, unlike hardware)

I'm not sure of the rim depth of this one, but it's so inexpensive you could have it cut down to have 2 3/4" rims, install a floater of your choice, and still be within your budget, hmmmmm...?
    Custom 16" Archtop guitar - $999 FEDEX ground shipping included

If you hunt (and hunt, and then hunt some more) you may find a used 16" Campellone Standard thinline - resale on these is typically between $3,500 and $4,000. They are almost always in fantastic condition, are superb guitars, and they match the specifications you listed. Like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images Recommend me 16" carved spruce top guitar-2016-campellone-standard-16-front-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-19-2019 at 12:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I would say used Heritage Sweet 16.

User Info Menu

Once in a blue moon, a Hofner Thin President (carved spruce top version, made only in 2004/2005) comes up used. 2 1/2" rim depth, just under 16" wide. 25 1/4" scale. Very nice guitars. Well within your budget - no one really knows what they are so the resale on them is typically on the low side. The neck pickup is a floater attached to the end of the neck. The bridge pickup sits on the top of the guitar, pinned down with a couple of teeny screws. Not to be confused with the later Thin President, a thinner, all-laminated semi with a spruce block, usually finished in a solid colour.
    Attached Images Attached Images Recommend me 16" carved spruce top guitar-hof-np-exxxx-thin-sbc-med-jpg 

Thanks for all the recommendations. Looks like I have some hunting to do. I think my top choices are a used Campellone (if I can find one) or a used Sweet 16.

User Info Menu

It doesn't exactly fit your body depth criteria, but riding on Hammertone's recommendation, a Hofner Jazzica may be worth looking into. The tapered body is quite comfortable.

Recommend me 16" carved spruce top guitar-2015-10-16-11-35-49-jpg

That is a nice looking Jazzica! I actually had one and the deep 4 inch end of the body caused me to have shoulder pain.

User Info Menu

I have no experience with Victor Baker guitars, but he makes a 16" archtop; although, I'm not aware of its body depth. On his website, he also lists:

The Ergonomic Archtop special and unique body shape for improved body alignment. These work! Try one if you have back and shoulder problems. Great archtop tone too!

These aren't traditional in appearance in any way, but appear thinner and may be worth a look?