The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to acquire a vintage acoustic at what appears to be a good price.

Hofner President Acoustic Archtop (1959?).

I'm no expert so was hoping for advice.

A local guitar repair person cleaned it up.

It plays well.

The pick-guard has been replaced and the bone in the bridge is repaired/replaced.

There are some cracks in the white trim by the heel.

Some frets are going brown in places (rusty?)

No sign of headstock breakage or repair.

Do I take the plunge into vintage?

Cheers,
    M

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, as it's exactly the same age as me, I'm sure it has cracks and rust! But we're still standing, and I have no doubt it will outlive me.

So, take the plunge. You could always sell it later.

User Info Menu

If 1959 it won't have a truss rod. Apart from that if it plays well, then why not?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

I'm just worried that my lack of expertise may have missed something critical, and I don't have an archtop expert I can take with me to inspect it.

It has wound strings which I would like to swap out for flats. I'd also like to swap out the pick guard for one with a floating pickup. At the same time, I wouldn't want to do anything to upset the guitar so much that it becomes damaged. Maybe that is the risk with all old guitars?

User Info Menu

These are nice guitars. I have a couple of them knocking around the bunker somewhere.

They maintain their value so long as one does not drill too many extra holes in them or chop them up for pickups.
    I recommend keeping any old parts with the instrument (in the case pocket), since originality does affect value.
    There are lots of replacement parts that can be retrofitted to improve performance without the need to modify the guitar. Modifications affect value.

Unlike old Hofners built for the domestic European market, Hofners like this, built for Selmer for export to the UK, have labels and serial numbers, which makes them very easy to identify and date. Like most better Hofner archtops, they also have dates written or stamped onto the undersides of their tops, easily found using small mirrors and lights.

Perhaps a photo or two might be fun to see?

User Info Menu

Here is the link to the advert. I think I am taking the plunge Played it again today and it feels real solid to me.

Hofner President 1959 For Sale in Bandon, Cork from RobX

User Info Menu

That's a lovey-looking old President.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner President Acoustic Archtop (1959?)-hof-pres-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

I'd grab that quick, if I were you.

User Info Menu

We've spoken and agreed a price so all is good! Thanks for the insight folks!

Was looking here at a pickguard pickup too Project Guitar Parts - For Hofner guitar parts, Hofner bass guitar
    parts, Vintage replacement scratch plates, Eko, Watkins, Colorama

User Info Menu

The more I play it, the less I want to add a pickup to it, and I'm actually enjoying the wound strings. It that weird!?

User Info Menu

Please don't change it, that guitar is very original, and looks a particularly nice example as the wood has very strong figuring, it even has the original tuners which often get changed out.

User Info Menu

If you decide to add a pickup, just get a floating unit that attaches to a pickguard assembly and put the original guard in the case. That way the guitar can always be returned to stock condition.

User Info Menu

Is it safe to put flatwound 11s on this as it has no truss rod? I'm not sure what is on it at the moment.

User Info Menu

Yes.