The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 136

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Most archtops only have a neck pickup. Most Les Pauls also have a bridge pickup which can be blended with the neck pickup for a different (brighter) tone.
    i understand, but most archtops i know have two pickups.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Well, I quite enjoy this tone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Here's my "Les Paul" (a Slaman Pauletta) - check the "video" from 1:45 which is when the jazz player takes over:

It has a full size CC pickup and some slightly different woods (and 1.75" nut width plus slimmer neck specs than stated in the original CR guitars' description - basically feels like an archtop neck), but it still has the DNA of a Les Paul.
    As you can see/hear, it sounds just great for jazz (and that video was played with 10's or 11's). I've had great results with it when playing with others. BUT I concur that my shoulder "feels it" after about an hour, and sometimes that lingers to the next day if I press on...which recently happened to me when I was called to sub for a long big band practice.
    While I've always been a neck pickup guy, running both pickups can work pretty well when comping...a luxury we don't get on archtops.
    I put this together as an homage to Les and Mary. Starting with a chambered Hysterical reissue, it weighed in under 8 pounds:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GaloDeBarcelos
    Well, I quite enjoy this tone

I have found the P90 Les Pauls (mine is a 2016) to have a wonderful jazz tone.

User Info Menu

lee retenour plays one on several YouTube clips..one with mike stern and one with larry carlton..and several more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I took my Les Paul Recording out for a 3hr gig last night, the tone was great.
    However, my shoulder sure is on the sore side today.
    It's a very unique instrument, in my opinion a superb solid body jazz guitar, but there are certainly more comfortable instruments to play for longer gigs!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    The Les Paul Recording is a bit more comfortable because of the larger body and the rear contour
    Jan Akkerman likes that size and has a custom Gibson with a Recording body but regular humbuckers
    I'd like a Les Paul Personal myself, but only two ever came into Australia
    Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-lp-personal-front-jpg

According to my records I owned this LP Personal for a little less than three years. I liked the larger size compared to a regular LP, but it was easily the heaviest guitar I've ever owned and I hated the "fretless wonder" treatment. Lots of interesting tones available except for standard Gibson ones. I had no use for Les's mic input. Never gigged with it and never missed it after selling.

I liked what Akkerman did to his.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-lp-personal-front-jpg

According to my records I owned this LP Personal for a little less than three years. I liked the larger size compared to a regular LP, but it was easily the heaviest guitar I've ever owned and I hated the "fretless wonder" treatment. Lots of interesting tones available except for standard Gibson ones. I had no use for Les's mic input. Never gigged with it and never missed it after selling.

I liked what Akkerman did to his.

Danny W.
    Hey Danny, nice pic! I bought one of those Kustom 100's myself this year. Pretty rare in Australia!

I still kick myself that I didn't have the $3K to buy a Les Paul Personal a few years ago.
    It was one of the first few from December '69 and had a gold Bigsby.
    Oh well, we can't have everything heh

Gibson Les Paul - What well-known jazz guitar players have used one?-personal2-jpg

User Info Menu

Seeing those pics reminded of this clip of a LP Recording model. Sounds pretty damn good to me, in these hands, at least:

User Info Menu

I think this fantastic guitar playing by Larry Carlton was on his Les Paul. I think Larry and his Les Paul are all over these early records by Michael Franks. Amazing band, tunes, production, and guitar tone! This is from Sleeping Gypsy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Probably been seen a million times but any excuse to see Jan Akkerman with his modded LP is a good one. He had one of the guys from Hamer [maybe Joel] do the work on that guitar.

User Info Menu

This is a good example of an LP played clean in a jazz context (Phil Lee on an LP Deluxe), albeit not on a straight ahead standard:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Seeing those pics reminded of this clip of a LP Recording model. Sounds pretty damn good to me, in these hands, at least:

That's me!

It's a lovely sounding instrument. The low impedance pickups have an interesting sound. More like a warm sounding single coil than a humbucker.

User Info Menu

Pete Banks was a long-time friend [he produced a band I was in back around 1979]. He was working on a solo project when Akkerman stopped by and contributed to some tracks. Lots of Les Paul stuff.

User Info Menu

here's master ulf wakenius playing a cheap les paul copy and sounding better than most guys don on an archtop. He told me he paid less than $100 for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myhandhurts

Pete Banks was a long-time friend [he produced a band I was in back around 1979]. He was working on a solo project when Akkerman stopped by and contributed to some tracks. Lots of Les Paul stuff.
    long time fave...banks and akkerman really burn

cheers

User Info Menu

When I posted that link I had second thoughts about the "jazz" aspects of Pete's album. It's jazz-ish but not really top-drawer jazz. He was also concerned that he sounded a lot like Akkerman and people couldn't discern between the two. He played the black LP Custom for those sessions and then bought my sunburst Custom.

User Info Menu

Akkerman was my biggest personal influence as a teen.... but he didn't play a lot of jazz, and especially not on Hocus Pocus, which he used to mess around with a lot live.

Cool entresz, good playing and nice suit!

Fun fact: Pete Banks put together a band called Flash, then left for some reason. They auditioned and I turned up - must have been all of 17 years old - and was so nervous that I played the solo to a simple Dm chord progression in Em!! Didn't sound too good IIRC.

User Info Menu

When I posted that link I had second thoughts about the "jazz" aspects of Pete's album. It's jazz-ish but not really top-drawer jazz. He was also concerned that he sounded a lot like Akkerman and people couldn't discern between the two. He played the black LP Custom for those sessions and then bought my sunburst Custom.
    i'd put it in a similar category as the santana & mclaughlin recordings...players familiar with some jazz vocabulary, but playing hard and distorted rock sounding guitars..very early 70's...i.e. a great time for fusion

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-26-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

Banks himself is so underrated. This is a great album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Akkerman was my biggest personal influence as a teen.... but he didn't play a lot of jazz, and especially not on Hocus Pocus, which he used to mess around with a lot live.

Cool entresz, good playing and nice suit!

Fun fact: Pete Banks put together a band called Flash, then left for some reason. They auditioned and I turned up - must have been all of 17 years old - and was so nervous that I played the solo to a simple Dm chord progression in Em!! Didn't sound too good IIRC.
    Banks and the rest of Flash broke up on a tour in New Mexico. The other 3 members kept trying to keep it afloat but to no avail. Later on there was a version of Flash with Ray Bennett [bassist] playing guitar. Banks formed Empire with his wife on vocals [soon to be ex-wife]. Pete told me that Akkerman didn't like their album [Two Sides] much.

User Info Menu

Ulf Wakenius on les paul studio

User Info Menu

I enjoy the small size, the feedback friendliness of the Les Paul, and these days it's easy to get a chambered, light weight model.

But they are still a solid body, and compared to a 335, even more to a hollow body, they do miss the thunk and full bass response these have. So I guess simply most players prefer the sound of a hollow guitar.

About telecasters being more popular than Les pauls in jazz, it's probably because they are cheaper, more comfortable shape, less fragile, easier to fix, lighter. You want a guitar you don't have to worry about, you get a tele!

User Info Menu

Former GDR-free jazz legend Helmut "Joe" Sachse:

Here he is with an original Gibson Les Paul:

His guitars are equipped with some sort of acoustic transducer to make the percussion parts audible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kmatuhin
    Ulf Wakenius on les paul studio
    It's an old Aria LP clone.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    It's an old Aria LP clone.
    Don't get me wrong, I admire Ulf Wakenius. And I like that he always plays his budget friendly guitar. But with this kind of tone, with all the treble rolled off, it doesn't really matter which guitar he plays.