The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

I am in the market for a new guitar and just saw that godin made some semi hollow models, supposedly with the jazz-oriented guitarist in mind. They are the Godin Montreal and the Godin Multiac Jazz. I have never been a big fan of godin guitars, but I've never played one either.

In fact, I am very skeptical about a jazz guitar from godin, seeing the normal market for godin's guitars. I was just curious if anyone here has had any experience with either of these two guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't played either of those models, but I do own and play a 5th Avenue and a Summit CT. I play jazz on both.

All of the Godins I've played have really comfortable necks and feel well balanced.

You're not going to get a really good answer until you try them out, so find a dealer near you, and give them a whirl.

User Info Menu

Godin has long made guitars marketed to forward minded jazzers, so i don't know why you'd be skeptical.

i've never been anything but impressed with anything made by godin or their other companies, and my fifth avenue kingpin is quickly becoming the guitar i grab first for gigs. seeing you have no experience playing them, i say try one out--you might be surprised.

User Info Menu

I have never picked up a Godin guitar that I didn't like. I don't own one, but the new Kingpin with the cutaway intrigues me. My understanding is it is loosely based on the Gibbo ES125.

Godin Guitars?-godin-5th-avenue-kingpin-jpg

User Info Menu

I have a Freeway Classic which I quite like, though I tried the Montreal in a store and didn't like it to much (the neck was too thick for me).

Godin Guitars?-godin-freeway-classic-jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I am going down to the local music shop today to try one.

As for not liking them without trying them, it's just one of those things that when I was a kid, something (I'm not sure what) turned me off about them and so I haven't really paid much attention to them since. It's like not liking the "green" vegetables when you were 5 (maybe some of you still don't like them ).

And Mr. Beaumont: I just checked out the fifth avenue thanks to your post and I will definitely be giving that one a go as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pickle
    I have a Freeway Classic which I quite like, though I tried the Montreal in a store and didn't like it to much (the neck was too thick for me).
    Yeah, neck contour and nut width are one of those personal things. I've been curious about the Multiac series -- I need to give piezos another chance -- and on the web site I saw that the nylon string versions have a nut width of 1 7/8". Awesome! I love classical guitar necks -- wide, fat and flat. But then I was the steel string version was only 1 11/16" which is a standard width. *Sigh*.

I bought a Godin LG with P90s. just because it was on sale and I really like the neck. I took the the seymour duncan out and put some early 60s Gibson P90s in it. Its and awesome guitar for the money. I recently sold a Gibson ES335 to a professional Jazz guitarist here in Austin. He played my my Godin first and buged me to death trying to buy it instead of the Gibson I wouldnt do it. that was a few months ago and he still asks me when he sees me. I have played both the guitas you are talking about and I think they are wonderful. When I get back to work I would like to buy a Montreal. I played them on a Standel and a JC 120.

Godin Guitars?-godin-lg-p90-jpg

User Info Menu

I tried the Kingpin for a week (single P90 - nice sounding) and really liked it, but the P90 was just too noisy in my house :-( (AC hum). It also had a bit of a dead spot on 8th fret on the G string (Eb). I found this dead spot on 3 different Kingpins I tried. It can be improved somewhat by using a lighter gauge string. I also tried the new model with 2 P90s in my local music store and it didn't have this dead spot (different body structure/mass may account for this).

Both models seem like nice, simple guitars for a good price. If it weren't for the noise issue, I would have kept the Kingpin.

Well I went to the shop and tried out the montreal, multiac jazz and the kingpin. If I decide to go with Godin, it will definitely be the montreal, but I still have some shopping around to do.

Oh and by the way, I thought that was a very nice arrangement of Autumn in New York, Mr. Beaumont. Thank you for that.

User Info Menu

Hey do you guys think the Kingpin was worth $500 Canadian? I saw a used one on Craigslist the other day - I had thoughts of at least checking it out (I've never had a jazz box) but it was the all black model which I think is kind of ugly.

User Info Menu

Check out Sylvain Luc playing a Godin, both steel & nylon.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of the Godin Guitars- the 5th avenue in particular. However, I've noticed you can pick up 2 of them and get completely different sounds- some bark and some resonate sweetly. But $500 for a quality canadian made guitar is a fair price. The coolest thing about them is the fact that you can play them unplugged as well- it's like having 2 guitars in one.

User Info Menu

I am not familiar with the Godin models you mention, but I strongly advise you to give Godin products a try. With some misgivings I recently bought a 5th Avenue via the Net (since Danish dealers don't stock them), and it proved to be the most pleasant surprise I have had for a great number of years. The crafting is impeccable, details are well finished, it is extremely comfortable to play, and in fact it compares very well with the older (more expensive) archtops I possess and play. Great tone, great projection! I sing Mr. Godin's praise every time I play the 5th Avenue.
    Good luck!
    Michael L.

User Info Menu

I have played a Godin Flat Five, the forerunnner to the Montreal, for about a year. I am very, very happy with it, although I have changed the pickups, as the stock Godin pickups were just too dark. Plus I have completely re-wired it, installing Seymour Duncan Triple Shot surrounds for maximum tonal variety. Yes, I get some excellent conventional jazz tones, but I also use it for blues, fusion and some clasic rock. It had previously been played for 6 years by a professional gigging/teaching guitarist and there is hardly a sign of wear and tear, which is a tribute to its build quality.

However, I'm not so sure whether the tones I get with my Flat Five are a good guide to the Montreal, as (i) the wood selection is slightly different and (ii) despite the similarity in shape, the separation of neck and bridge pickups is larger on the Montreal (& hence a shorter fretboard). Also you shouldn't take notice of my complaints about the pickups on the Flat Five, as the Montreal comes with different pickups (Seymour Duncans, I believe, rather than Godin's own) as standard.

I tend to look on the Flat Five as a pre-production run of the Montreal. I know at the time of its production it was Robert Godin's favourite (mine has his handwritten signature on the back of the headstock - a rare feature). The Montreal was tweaked to remove some of the Flat Five's idiosyncracies, plus you get the piezos and midi compatability as standard (alas not on my Flat Five). Hence I would really recommed a Montreal (or used Flat Five) if you are looking for a high quality, but slightly unconventional instrument, that stretches from Jazz to Fusion and beyond.

One final remark: if you own a Montreal, people won't keep asking you "why is it called a Flat Five ?".

Godin Guitars?-godin-flat-five-jpg
    Last edited by newsense; 12-16-2009 at 01:38 PM.

User Info Menu

I own a Godin Flat five (no wonder my user name is the same ) and I absolutely love it! Just wanted to know if anyone uses this brand and what are your general opinion. And why not post pics with that!

Take care all!

User Info Menu

I want a Flat Five... I can't find one... or whenever I find one I don't want to part with the bread.

I've never owned a Godin, but I've played a lot of them... overall I think they're a great product.

User Info Menu

Yes I know that they are rare to find... I was lucky enough to get one and it's an unusuall model since it has a natural spruce top and is also signed by M.godin himself on the back of the headstock. (got it at the montreal jazz festival.) But keep searching maybe one will pop up, if not, the model has been replaced with the ''Montreal'' which is basically the same guitar but with a new name and enhaced features from the transducer bridge.

User Info Menu

I've got a Godin, can never remember the model, ACS maybe. It's a nylon string electric with the synth ready pickup. I don't think I'd like it as my only guitar, but for what it is, I like it more than the Gibson Chet Atkins CEC I have, mostly because it has better access on the high end of the neck. I'vce only played it a few times with a synth, it's almost like learning a new instrument so I 'll wait until I have more time or impetus for that.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I have a kingpin...it's not my only guitar, but it's a damn fine instrument.

I've gigged it and it'sw proven to be more than enough guitar for any jazz situation I've found myself in...

I also have a seagull acoustic and a la patrie classical. Great guitars all.

User Info Menu

I have 5th Ave Kingpin II. My Thinline is still my #1, and probably always will be, but the Kingpin is a really nice guitar.
    I also have an S&P Songsmith, which is one of the Godin brands.
    Last edited by morroben; 08-17-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: thought I'd add a pic

User Info Menu

I've got a Kingpin also (acoustic archtop). I like it OK, and I play it when I'm doing the "unplugged" thing, but I like my Samick JZ4 better if I'm plugging in.

User Info Menu

I'm really curious about those--and Godin's "archtop" guitars in general. I use an LG Signature for jazz now, and couldn't be happier (after years of archtops). Like you said, it's hard to actually get your hands on one.

User Info Menu

I have 3 Godin : a Flat Five X, a Passion RG3 and a Freeway Classic. It's obvious that I like them ! The lutherie is impeccable, I love the tone and, for me, very comfortable, versatile and... they look good ! And, as a bonus, they are made here in Quebec where I live !

BTW, the Flat Five had no transducer while the Flat Five X has. And the latter is carved flammed maple (not spruce, so yours must be a very special one). It has 2 humbuckers (5 positions switch) and a piezzo. You can use one or the other, mix them or output each one in its own amp. Versatility is the name.

When I bought mine, I had the chance to try it besides a Montreal wich was just coming out. I know, this is a very personnel thing but for me the choice was clear : I prefered by far the Flat Five X. Was it because of the difference between the maple and the mahogany, or the or the difference of length ? I just felt in love with it !

They are not made anymore, like you said, replaced by the Montreal wich is carved mahogany and has a smaller neck, my Flat Five X has 24 frets and the Montreal 22, I think. I've heard, but this is not a verified information, that they stopped the production of the Flat Five because the cost of the flammed maple was too high compared to mahogany but, as I said, this is like a rumor !

For those of you interested, I think that if you contact Godin, there is a chance that they could tell you where you could find one.
    Last edited by GuyB; 08-17-2011 at 09:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Multiac Duet Nylon here. Very sweet!

Godin Guitars?-godin-multiac-duet-nylon-jpg