The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

This is my first semi-hollow guitar. I've been wanting a semi-hollow for a while and was debating between a Yamaha SA2200 and PRS JA-15. This one popped up at such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I am very glad I didn't.

Put a set of Thomastik-Infeld Swing JS111 on and did a little set up and it plays and sounds amazing!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice! don't be afraid to play with that neck pickup height for your choice jazz tone!..enjoy

cheers

User Info Menu

Great purchase! These are beautiful guitars, and your post makes me regret selling mine about ten years ago:

Yamaha SA2200-rob335sm-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Yamaha SA2200-rob335sm-jpg 

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar! As neatomic says, pickup height (and angle) are a big factor in getting the perfect tone. And that three-point mounting system really ought to be the industry standard. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Great purchase! These are beautiful guitars, and your post makes me regret selling mine about ten years ago:

Yamaha SA2200-rob335sm-jpg
    who's the kid holding your guitar??!!

haha..nice!!

cheers

User Info Menu

A scoundrel of the highest order. That said, there are angels over his left shoulder playing lutes. I hope he can hear them...

User Info Menu

i have no doubt he can!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Back to the OP.

geese_com - are you new to jazz? What do you plan to do with your new guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Back to the OP.

geese_com - are you new to jazz? What do you plan to do with your new guitar?

I am new to jazz but I have been playing guitar for at least 18 years. Mostly rock and metal. I felt it was time for a change. Now I can't get enough of jazz (guitar centric or not).

I am working through Richie Zellon's Bebop Guitar Improv Series (I am currently in Module 4) and at the same time doing a Song of a Month group. I am loving jazz guitar more and more every day (even the frustrating days).

User Info Menu

cool!..be interested in hearing what jazz players inspired you in your crossover from metal to jazz...

keep going!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-08-2017 at 05:03 PM.

User Info Menu

you can search endlessly for the perfect 335...or just get a stock yamaha 2200 and be set
    Their fantastic. I just wished there was a plain-top variant, and blonde (I never understood the flame thing on guitars, flamed maple is for furniture. Now flame me!).

Earlier this year, I actually stumbled across Julian Lage by accident while browsing through a guitar forum. That led me to Jim Hall. Then it "escalated" from there. I heard of Tal Farlow from Troy Grady's series so I decided to look him up. Hearing Tal Farlow is what got me really interested and made me decide to learn and really immerse myself in jazz.

I knew of and listened to Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery before but I never took it seriously until this year.

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool!..be interested in hearing what jazz players inspired you in your crossover from metal to jazz...

keep going!!

cheers

User Info Menu

nice!..always go backwards to forwards and around again..lage back to hall to farlow & forward to?...

jim hall was a major path for me..direct modernist link

if i may be so bold. check out john abercrombie and brad shepik!!

have fun discovering..always dig deeper

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-08-2017 at 06:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Good enough for the fleet fingered Bireli Lagrene:
    (Looks like he changed the pickups)

Bireli was actually my inspiration for buying the Yamaha SA2200. He is such an incredible player.

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Good enough for the fleet fingered Bireli Lagrene:
    (Looks like he changed the pickups)

User Info Menu

or take it back one step further...birelis idol- django

if you don't dig the tone, just listen to the notes

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by geese_com
    Bireli was actually my inspiration for buying the Yamaha SA2200. He is such an incredible player.

About the best there is!

User Info Menu

Congrats on a great looking guitar! Quality Yamaha's are hard to find in my neck of the woods.

Bireli and Jim Hall were also a couple of my pathway guitarists toward interest in jazz to (coming from 90's grunge). Also John Scofield, Herb Ellis and Kenny Burrell. But I think I like to listen to horn players now more than guitar players.

Anyway, that looks like a super great Yam. I never did find the 335 that worked for me . . .

User Info Menu

Ooooh ... beautiful !

Congrhapsodylations !

Yamaha is still making those. Yours looks so mint ... do you know what year ?

Really classy ...

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    Ooooh ... beautiful !

Congrhapsodylations !

Yamaha is still making those. Yours looks so mint ... do you know what year ?

Really classy ...
    Based on the serial number it is a 2016 model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT
    you can search endlessly for the perfect 335...or just get a stock yamaha 2200 and be set
    Their fantastic. I just wished there was a plain-top variant, and blonde (I never understood the flame thing on guitars, flamed maple is for furniture. Now flame me!).

The SA-2000 is plain top from the late 70's & 80's. There's a natural on Reverb right now, but it's pretty beat up.