The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 102

User Info Menu

Part 1.

All stories have a beginning.
    My story begins in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My great grandparents immigrated to the City of Brotherly love well over a hundred years ago and my parents were born there as was I. Like many residents of that venerable city, each summer my family would spend time at the New Jersey shore. Throughout the 1960's, my mom and one of her sisters would rent a house each summer for about six weeks in the town of Ventnor, New Jersey. I would share a room with my first cousin Sharon, who was 7 years my senior. Sharon was a huge music fan and was in fact, the President of the Beatles fan club in Philadelphia. Each summer, Sharon would show up with a fresh stack of 45's that we would listen to each night, well past the normal bedtime hours for children. It was mostly British invasion rock-n-roll. As much as I enjoyed the Rolling Stones and Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Beatles were far and above my favorite. And John Lennon was my musical hero. From when I first heard him at age 7 (1964) to this day, John will always be my first guitar hero.

My mom had a piano that was given to her when she was a little girl by her mom (a spinet piano). While she never had any lessons and so never learned to play it, once my dad had advanced in his career to join the middle class (none of my grandparents nor my parents were college educated), my mom wanted me to take piano lessons. Had someone told me that John Lennon was also a piano player, I would have agreed gladly, but not having that knowledge, I steadfastly refused, telling my mom that my dream was to study the guitar. She and I remained at loggerheads over this for several years

In 1967, when I was ten years old, my Dad took a job in New York City. We moved to the White Plains area (a suburb of NYC) and in a couple of years would move to NYC itself, where I went to junior high, part of high school and college, before moving to California (where I have made my home for most of the last 41 years).While living in suburban NYC, my mom gave in. She decided that guitar lessons it would be and for a year, I studied at Frank Turso's White Plains Academy of music. Mr. Turso was an older gentleman of Italian origin who was a traditionalist. His teachers (also older men of Italian origin) used the Mel Bay books to teach their young students. At the time, I was resentful of the fact that I was learning to read music and playing mostly classical pieces, instead of learning Beatles tunes, but I know now that these men did me a HUGE favor by starting me right, My ability to sight read music has landed me many gigs in front of lots of other guitarists. If I could go back in time and thank Mr. Turso and the two teachers at his school that I studied with, I would.

On the cover of those Mel Bay books was the most beautiful guitar, I had ever seen (And it still is the most beautiful guitar to me of all time), a D'Angelico New Yorker. Even though none of my rock-n-roll heroes played one (By this time, I was enamored with Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton), that D'Angelico was the stuff that dreams are made of. Thus began a lifetime of respect for the work of John D'Angelico, the Stradivarius of the Guitar.

A few years later, a guitar player friend played Wes Montgomery for me, and my life was forever changed. I have been a jazz guitarist ever since. While attending college at NYU in the mid 1970's, I used to go up to 48th street (Guitar row) and window shop the stores. They would put a D'Angelico in their windows when they had one and the prices then started at $1,000, far out of my range , being a poor college student (I scrimped and saved and had a 1970 ES-175 at that time). I used to stare at those D'Angelicos and dream. One day perhaps. They were still the most beautiful guitars that I had ever seen.

Time passed, and after three careers (sales, management and law), I had amassed enough wealth to afford being a full time musician (I was 45 years old at that time. 20 years of hard/smart work had paid off). I was now able to afford a Gibson L-5, the guitar of my master, Wes Montgomery, a man whose music has served as a lantern throughout my musical journey. I already had the guitar of my other master, Joe Pass, another man whose music has been a source of constant inspiration, the Gibson ES-175. But the D'Angelicos were now selling for astronomical prices (They started at about $12,000 in the early 2000's) and still seemed out of my reach (or at least my comfort zone).

When the economy crashed in 2007, I noticed that the market for D'Angelicos went downward. By 2010, I had purchased two original D'Angelicos, a 1937 Style A and a 1948 Style B. The higher end models, the Excel and the New Yorker still commanded prices that were beyond my comfort zone.

Earlier this year, my good friend Joe DeNisco (hereinafter "Joe") offered to sell me his Heritage built D'Angelico II New Yorker. This special guitar had been part of the collection of Patrick Amato, a guitar collector whose taste and knowledge I admired. I jumped at the chance and while, the guitar is not one of John D'Angelico's masterpieces, it is a superb guitar. Last month, Joe offered to sell his 1935 D'Angelico Excel to me at a price in mycomfort zone and he graciously offered me time to raise the money for the purchase. Having an Excel would complete the circle. I would now have one of each of the four main D'Angelico models.(While one could argue that I still need a Snakehead, a Special and an A-1, (not to mention a genuine New Yorker) to have a complete D'Angelico collection, I am not that concerned with that level of "completeness". I feel extremely fortunate to be where I am, guitar wise). I sold 5 guitars and a vintage amplifier to pay for the Excel and recover some of the funds already paid for the New Yorker replica. Going down from 22 guitars and 5 amps to 18 guitars and 4 amps has been stressful, but has also been liberating. Fewer things to maintain and more time bonding with the guitars I already owned is a wonderful feeling. Perhaps I will sell a few more.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1935 D'Angelico Excel-da1-jpg 1935 D'Angelico Excel-da2-jpg 1935 D'Angelico Excel-da3-jpg 1935 D'Angelico Excel-da4-jpg 1935 D'Angelico Excel-da5-jpg 1935 D'Angelico Excel-da6-jpg 
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 09-28-2016 at 04:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Part 2.

The two D'Angelicos I purchased in 2010 are amazing guitars. The tone is sublime and they are works of art. The new addition, the 1935 Excel was most welcome. I had heard recordings of this guitar in the capable hands of Joe DeNisco, both acoustically and plugged in. While much of the great sounds that I heard, was due to Joe DeNisco's masterful fingers, the guitar clearly had that special tone, that only guitars made by John D'Angelico, the Stradivarius of the guitar, possess. The new addition to my family of guitars would be most welcome indeed.

Earlier this year, Joe Denisco (herinafter "Joe") found the 1935 Excel on Ebay and had contacted the seller. The seller told Joe that the guitar had been purchased from Tony Marcus. Joe contacted me for my opinion. I have known Tony Marcus for years, so I put Joe in touch with Tony and told Joe what I thought the guitar was worth. Joe bought the guitar.

A few weeks after Joe bought the guitar, I got a call from a San Francisco guitar dealer named Steve Stein. Steve said, "I hear a friend of yours bought a DA that Tony used to own. I used to own it as well". That got my attention. I wanted to know more.

Steve Stein knew me back in NYU (we were both students there in the mid 70's) and was also a customer of my restaurant in San Francisco in the 1980's (Marco's New York Style Pizza). He came to one of my gigs a few years ago and reintroduced himself to me.

Steve told me the following about this guitar:

The guitar was found in a storage locker in Florida many years ago and was sold to a guitar collector. The pickguard had gassed out and destroyed the finish on the top. The banjo tuners had rusted and the tailpiece had no gold plating left. The collector spent about $2,000 on a restoration that included refinishing, new tuners, replating the tailpiece and a new pickguard. A decision was made to leave the top unfinished as the tone of the guitar was sublime and the restorer was afraid that refinishing the top would damage the amazing tone. A bit later the collector wanted a classical guitar that Steve Stein had (Classical guitars are Steve's specialty) and being a wheeler-dealer, Steve inquired about what the collector had to trade (apparently a cash amount could not be agreed upon). Eventually, a swap of this DA for that classical was agreed upon. Steve in turn took the guitar to Tony Marcus (Those guys have traded guitars many times over the years). Tony traded several guitar sto Steve for the DA. Tony is a Bay Area jazz guitarist and sometimes jazz guitar dealer. Tony did not like the damaged look of the top and took the guitar to expert guitar painter Bill Reinhard. Bill suggested stripping the refinish on the back, sides and neck and refinishing the entire guitar with nitro in a sunburst such as John D'Angelico did back in the 1930's. The guitar was then sold to a classical guitar luthier in the Pacific Northwest who is also a guitar collector. This was the fellow that Joe bought this guitar from. The guitar started in the Northeast and then went to Florida (like many elderly northeasterners). It then came to northern California, before moving to the Pacific Northwest. Joe brought the guitar back to its roots in the Northeast by purchasing the guitar. Now with the sale to me, it is back in Northern California. This guitar has traveled more than many people that I know!

The guitar came to me packed superbly (anyone who has bought a guitar from Joe knows that he does it right!) and after a few minutes to let it cool off (It was not particularly warm when I pulled it from the box), I opened the case and removed the guitar. I was instantly struck by two things, the guitar is impossibly light and the headstock is about the same size as a 60's ES-175, far smaller than any DA that I had heretofore played. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the heel was smaller than my other DA's as was the upper bout.The restoration is top notch. The gold Gotoh tuners are beautiful and hold tune perfectly. The repro pickguard and bracket look great. The replated Grover tailpiece is just right, the heavy, compensated Ebony bridge intonates wonderfully and the 3 inch rim thickness (narrower than any DA that I have ever seen) makes this guitar very comfortable in the lap. The Sitka Spruce top has a beautiful arch and tight grain. The flamed maple of the sides, back and the three piece neck are a joy to behold. The etched pearl inlays scream Art Deco. The thick, original multiply binding is different than that on later DA's and other than some slight shrinkage in the waist, has survived the test of time (unlike many DA's). The refinish is excellent, a very thin coat of nitro that appears to be hand rubbed.The Gold series Ameritage case will protect this guitar as well as any (though if one carried it to the gig, one's chiropractor might be assured of some future business). Also included in the deal was a Dearmond 1000 complete with the monkey on the stick setup that looks almost new, but is clearly from the 1950's

Serial number 1155 was stamped into the back as was John D'Angelico's Custom.

Playability is excellent. The C shaped neck is full but has some taper. John D'Angelico was making guitars with modern neck profiles while Gibson and Martin were making V necks that are more appropriate for a boat than a guitar neck. This is not the loudest archtop of it's day, but the acoustic volume is there and the guitar projects nicely. The notes are even on all strings and on all frets. The tone is sweet. I played it for over an hour after bringing it to pitch. This is an amazing guitar. I am proud to be her new caretaker. And this guitar will be used on gigs. Maybe for the first time in many years. Maybe for the first time ever. Great instruments need to be played in public and shared.

While this is the end of the story for today, the guitar will be played and many musical stories will be told with her. The guitar's story is far from over. As I approach my 59th birthday, I too plan on adding to my story with the years that are left. I realize that these material possessions are not permanent, nothing is. At the end, all we really have is our story. And I am still working on a really good one.
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 09-28-2016 at 04:32 PM.

User Info Menu

fantastic!! alls well that ends well

enjoy!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    fantastic!! alls well that ends well

enjoy!

cheers
    After Vinny's UPS debacles, every transaction involving shipping is stressful! I think Joe D. and I were both on pins and needles while this guitar was in transit.

Things worked well. A local guy bought my 1974 Fender deluxe Reverb, another local guy bought my Martin HD-28V. A fellow from the Djangobooks forum bought my Dupont MDC-50. Matt Ingeneri from this forum bought my 1971 Guild Artist Award and Frank (fsw6) bought my vintage Epiphones. Joe D. bought Steve's Gibson Johnny Smith and I have this 1935 DA.

A bunch of win-win transactions. The way it should always be....

User Info Menu

We all know that guitar well now.Congratulations on completing your collection. She's a beauty to look at and listen to.

User Info Menu

Marco,
    What a fabulous insight into your life. Owning a D'Angelico is quite special. I too have been blessed in life through hard work and treated myself to some extraordinary guitars during the past 38 years.

One of my finest is a 1935 D'Angelico snakehead previously owned by a Jim Barber - whose picture I have with him playing the guitar into one of those huge radio talk show mics- probably back in the 40's.

The guitar was bought directly from Jims family
    (after he passed ) by my good friend Larry Wexer. When visiting Larry one day back in 2010 , I saw the guitar, played it, and fell in love. This 81 year old guitar is the ultimate lap piano, having been played professionally for most of it life- and showing signs of many, many gigs. Owning this guitar is an honor and one day it will passed on to another DA enthusiast.

For those thinking about aquiring a D'Angelico , now is a great time to buy one. These are indeed the stradivarious of Archtop guitars . They have a unique sweet round tone - with amazing balance throughout the fingerboard that one must play to experience.

Marco, a very special congrats to you for buying this fabulous pc from one of the best guys on this forum. I had the pleasure of meeting Joe last night for the first time , and he is a true gentlemen at the highest level. This forum has really provided me the opportunity to connect with some fine people, and share amazing stories about our lives and guitar passions.

Wishing you many , many years of enjoyment with your DA family.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 09-27-2016 at 08:25 PM.

User Info Menu

The stories behind each one of these D'As are amazing. At some point, the people that own them pass on, get strapped for cash, etc.. Each one of the 1,164 guitars has it's own set of stories...

User Info Menu

I am literally in tears over this.
    A prerequisite for the new home for this guitar was that it went to someone who would appreciate it.
    I couldnt have found a new caretaker any better than our very own Marc. Now the guitar has reached a spot where it can rest. It's journey up and down and back and forth this great country is over for a long while. It is in the most capable, most deserving hands it could ever be in, and now it has found its home. Marc, I am so happy for you and my old baby. And as I've said on numerous occasions, I am proud to know you.
    There aren't many places where a tough old man can open up his heart and lay it out there. This place is the perfect environment for all of us to share our passion and our friendship.
    I love you guys.
    Now im gonna step aside and let SS enjoy his day, which I hope never ends.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

When you wish upon a star
    Makes no difference who you are
    When you wish upon a star
    YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

Hard to say who is happier ? East coast boy or West Coast boy. When dreams become reality.
    A big heart felt super duper Congrats to you both.

User Info Menu

The D'Angelico has arrived safely. Now I can exhale. Congratulations on a fine instrument, Kudos to Joe for taking such excellent care of it (and gifting us with those fine recordings) - play it long and well in good health!

User Info Menu

Congratulations to both Sringswinger and to Joe.

User Info Menu

Marco glad to hear it landed where it belongs.

I hope youll take it out to play and let us hear the result soon.

User Info Menu

I called Steve Stein, one of the guitar dealers who owned this guitar to tell him the guitar is back in California. He told me that he thought the refinish made the guitar look too new and that I should consider having it "antiqued". I told him that I intend to "antique" it the old fashioned way, by gigging with it.

User Info Menu

That's beautiful. Congrats!

User Info Menu

I had a thinner body '35 Excel once, same specs as yours
    I said it when Joe bought it, really nice period color on that one, congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I had a thinner body '35 Excel once, same specs as yours
    I said it when Joe bought it, really nice period color on that one, congrats.
    Wintermoon. You were right. My angst at giving up some of my guitars dissapeared as soon as the Excel arrived. my guitar universe is better than ever.

User Info Menu

it's been many yrs, but now that I think about it the one I owned had period engraved Grovers like on early Super 400's and prewar Martin D-45's
    haven't seen those on a DA before or since, those tuners alone are worth a fortune.
    yours had banjo tuners on it? never seen that either.

User Info Menu

Marc, thanks for taking the time to share all the "many details" of life, music, guitars and the inter-connecting relationships. Very engaging.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Stringswinger! That's quite something - to be able to gig with a d'Angelico. I wish you many enjoyable gigs and hope the audience can appreciate the special treat they get!

PS: does anyone know where to get pick guards of the same transparent material as on this Excel?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    Congratulations Stringswinger! That's quite something - to be able to gig with a d'Angelico. I wish you many enjoyable gigs and hope the audience can appreciate the special treat they get!

PS: does anyone know where to get pick guards of the same transparent material as on this Excel?
    Thanks Jazznote. My experience has been that the general public and even most guitar players are oblivious to the fact that they are in the presence of a real DA. I get way more attention from the general public when I play my 97 175. The flame top and beautiful blond finish seems to make people want to cone up to the bandstand and tell me what a beautiful guitar it is. When I play a Strat or Tele, guitar players come up to tell me about their Strats or Teles.

But sometimes someone comes up and asks "is that a real D'Angelico?". When I tell them it is, their eyes get wide and I think my gig will then be an important memory for them (hopefully my playing will be up to par as well ).
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 09-28-2016 at 04:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow. I enjoyed reading every word of your story, Marc. Congratulations on completing your DA circle. It is a stunning guitar that I hope you get to cherish and play for years to come.

User Info Menu

Marc, Thanks for the opening..
    Here's a Funny story.. When I was in the UPS store shipping the Excel, I opened the case to get Marc's address out, and there was a lady behind me in line who saw the guitar. She said, Oh My God! Is that a real D'Angelico? I looked at her, smiled and said "Yes it is. A 1935 Excel.." She said, "WHAT? 1935? It looks brand new." The owner of the store said, "yeah this one is nice, but You should have seen the last one I shipped for him..". Then he took a picture out of the drawer of the HDA I shipped to Marc. And showed it to her!!!. She said, "OH, that one is nice too. Is it a real D'Angelico" I said, well, not really.. She said, "I like the real one better.." Then the store owner asked me how much I am insuring it for, I told him $9500.. He said, WHAT? Oh my god.. This one is nicer than the last one..

So I said funny thing is, this one is going to the same guy as the last one did. And he also has 2 other real ones.. So the lady said, " I could see by your wedding ring that you are married.. What about your friend who's buying the guitar??

I am not making this up.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Here's a Funny story.. When I was in the UPS store shipping the Excel, I opened the case to get Marc's address out, and there was a lady behind me in line who saw the guitar. She said, Oh My God! Is that a real D'Angelico? I looked at her, smiled and said "Yes it is. A 1935 Excel.." She said, "WHAT? 1935? It looks brand new." The owner of the store said, "yeah this one is nice, but You should have seen the last one I shipped for him..". Then he took a picture out of the drawer of the HDA I shipped to Marc. And showed it to her!!!. She said, "OH, that one is nice too. Is it a real D'Angelico" I said, well, not really.. She said, "I like the real one better.." Then the store owner asked me how much I am insuring it for, I told him $9500.. He said, WHAT? Oh my god.. This one is nicer than the last one..

So I said funny thing is, this one is going to the same guy as the last one did. And he also has 2 other real ones.. So the lady said, " I could see by your wedding ring that you are married.. What about your friend who's buying the guitar??

I am not making this up.

Joe D

Did you ask the lady how in the world she knew what a D'A was ??

Great story, Joe !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco

I am not making this up.

Joe D
    I can't believe some random shipping lady knew what a D'Angelico is, let a lone a 'real' one. I mean even being in the shipping biz how many come in contact w/them or pay attention for that matter?

cool story Joe.

What a great back story, thanks for taking the time to share. Love your history and it sounds like all those DA's are in the proper hands to appreciate them. Take care