The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 214

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

And these here are one of my favorites, though a bit of work: suppli telephono. It's risotto that's cooke, take it off the heat, add grated reggiano and a beaten egg and then allowed to cool, then roll in balls push your index finger in ad add some chopped
    prosciutto and fresh mozzarella, roll it back up, then dredge in beaten egg and bread crumbs and deep fry. Served with a dash of marinara on a plate. They call it suppli TELEPHONO because when you cut into it that hot mozzarella stretches like little telephone wires... Good eats !!

Attachment 32963
    i make those too. I call them aroncini, or little oranges, or rice balls.

i made chicken francaise tonight..
    Gibson LeGrand scale length-image-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe better get that guitar soon or we're all gonna explode from the hunger generated by all these goodies being posted.

User Info Menu

That's so kewl SS, but your restaurants were the exception to the rule. There have been many of a wannabe restaurant here in Seattle, one in the 80's, even bold enough to label itself Philadephia Cheesesteak...nice try. As you know, when you've lived among the real deal for several years, one can spot a pretender.

In Philly, seemed like one could buy a cheesesteak, or hoagie, from street vendors, going south on Broad street from Chestnut street, all the way to the Spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    You are quite wrong 2B. In the 80's, I sold amazing cheesesteaks at Marco's New York Style Pizza (I used Amoroso Italian bread shipped in from Philly, top notch ribeye steak and did it right, choice of cheese, handcut onions and correct cherry peppers, hot or sweet.) At the same time, I sold these cheesesteaks and my amazing NY pizza at my rock-n-roll Nightclub across the Bay in Alameda, CA (Johnny B. Goode's, forever immortalized in the movie "The Principal").

While my establishments are long gone, a San Francisco competitor opened a place called "The Cheesesteak shop" in the mid 80's which serves cheesesteaks that are almost as good as mine were. That operation is up to about a dozen stores across the Bay Area today. It is the real deal. Their sandwiches rival most places in Philly, including Pat's, Jim's and Geno's. I was born in Philly (still have family there) and grew up in NYC (still have family there as well). I know my way around East Coast food.

I lived in Portland, Oregon in the 90's and had my last restaurant there (Marco's Pizza and Subs). At that time Portland was still a bit culturally challenged, so I did not do Philly Cheesesteaks as I was not sure that there would be a demand for them.

I did well enough in the food business to put myself through law school. I did well enough in the law business to buy some investment real estate. The investment real estate makes it possible today for me to be a full time jazz musician. The dough (no pun intended) was way better in the food business and the law business, but for me, getting paid to play my guitar is as good as it gets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    That's so kewl SS, but your restaurants were the exception to the rule. There have been many of a wannabe restaurant here in Seattle, one in the 80's, even bold enough to label itself Philadephia Cheesesteak...nice try. As you know, when you've lived among the real deal for several years, one can spot a pretender.

In Philly, seemed like one could buy a cheesesteak, or hoagie, from street vendors, going south on Broad street from Chestnut street, all the way to the Spectrum.
    The vast majority of cheesesteaks and hoagies (and NY Pizza for that matter) that I have eaten on the west coast have sucked big time, for sure.

The best hoagie I have ever has was/is at the "White House" in Atlantic City. I would go out of my way for one of those if I were anywhere nearby...

User Info Menu

About to get and at least try out a Gibson Johnny Smith in Finland for the first time, I have never seen that guitar in a real life. I'm willing to compare the nut width to my Heritage GE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Epistrophy
    About to get and at least try out a Gibson Johnny Smith in Finland for the first time, I have never seen that guitar in a real life. I'm willing to compare the nut width to my Heritage GE.
    please take a couple of pics and tell us about the JS after trying it out.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I try to remember that. Looking forward to try Johnny Smith, indeed, it's VERY rare guitar. There are not many opportunities to try that guitar out anywhere compared to the Stratocaster or Les Paul.

User Info Menu

I have always been fond of 17 inches wide, 3 inches deep carved archtops with a floating pickup instead of full size archtops like Gibson L-5, Super 400 or some other guitars like that, because they are more prone to feedback and they just feel too big to hold. 175 is good like the way it is. It's comfortable to hold as a 16 inch archtop.
    Last edited by Epistrophy; 06-30-2016 at 06:05 AM.

User Info Menu

"Their sandwiches rival most places in Philly, including Pat's, Jim's and Geno's. I was born in Philly (still have family there) and grew up in NYC (still have family there as well). I know my way around East Coast food. "

shame on you stringswinger, those 3 tourist trap joints are about the bottom of the barrel around here-they're roughly the equivalent of a Mcdonalds burger compared to a real burger.
    as any Philadelphian knows, the mom and pop joints are the shizzle.

I make my own [just had one a couple nights ago] but if I'm hungry after a gig I'll hit up Philips on Passyunk Ave., or similar. out of the way yes, but worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "Their sandwiches rival most places in Philly, including Pat's, Jim's and Geno's. I was born in Philly (still have family there) and grew up in NYC (still have family there as well). I know my way around East Coast food. "

shame on you stringswinger, those 3 tourist trap joints are about the bottom of the barrel around here-they're roughly the equivalent of a Mcdonalds burger compared to a real burger.

I make my own [just had one a couple nights ago] but if I'm hungry after a gig I'll hit up Philips on Passyunk Ave., or similar. out of the way yes, but worth it.
    Pat's and Geno's are not what they used to be. Jim's is still pretty good. When I was a kid, Pat's was awesome. I used that as a reference for 2B, who was talking 40 years ago. My dad grew up in South Philly and I used to visit my grandmother a few times a year. I would always grab a steak at Pat's and a cherry water ice before stopping by. I would get off the bus on Market street (I was coming from NYC). I would walk over to 9th, then I would walk down to Passyunk and make my way to Pats (we are talking 1970's here). Those steaks were first rate in those days...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

Yes indeed, those were the daze!

When in '75 names like McGinnis, World B Free, Chocolate Thunder, Dr J, the Broad Street Bullies, MFSB, Gamble and Huff, were commonplace and a source of Philadelphia pride. I can recall leaving the barracks of the Navy base, walking what seemed like several miles over slippery icy sidewalk in fridgid temps, just to get to the subway stop at the Spectrum...just to head north to buy a PC or hoagy...so you know those PC's must have been worth such a sacrifice. As Lou Rawls would say, "yeah buddy."!

User Info Menu

Lest any of us slip and forget ROCKY BALBOA....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Lest any of us slip and forget ROCKY BALBOA....
    Of course not...I was in line on opening night...Rocky was big in Philly! But, he was a fictional character

User Info Menu

Of course not...I was in line on opening night...Rocky was big in Philly! But, he was a fictional character
    That movie turned 9th and Passyunk is South Philly into a tourist destination.

2B, back to your admonition to Joe D. about cheesesteaks, you should bear in mind that northern Jersey, where Joe D. lives is culturally more New York, than Philadelphia (South Jersey is where the cheesesteak culture prevails). Hoagie is a Philadelphia term for an Italian sandwich. In Jersey they are called Submarines and in New York, they are Heros. Folks from northern Jersey would be more apt to get a Sausage and Peppers hero at their neighborhood spot than a cheesesteak. Just sayin'...

User Info Menu

suddenly i'm hankerin for a soft pretzel, gabila knish, a marino italian ice & a zeppola...

tastes like rockaway beach

hold the sprinkles..er jimmys

if joe D don't get that darn js guitar soon im gonna gain 5 pounds!!

cheers

User Info Menu

2B, back to your admonition to Joe D. about cheesesteaks, you should bear in mind that northern Jersey, where Joe D. lives is culturally more New York, than Philadelphia (South Jersey is where the cheesesteak culture prevails). Hoagie is a Philadelphia term for an Italian sandwich. In Jersey they are called Submarines and in New York, they are Heros. Folks from northern Jersey would be more apt to get a Sausage and Peppers hero at their neighborhood spot than a cheesesteak. Just sayin'...
    Okay, so what you're really saying is JD is lucky he's not from Cherry Hill, cause he'd have been making nightly treks across the Walt Whitman to get his PC fix for sure!

User Info Menu

.Rocky was big in Philly! But, he was a fictional character
    What do you mean fictional???

Who are these two guys then? I'm confused, Pauly.

Gibson LeGrand scale length-c65137ba43a2412a994b2e662300d2cd-jpg
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 07-01-2016 at 09:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Sausage and onions. Hold the peppers. I don't like peppers cooked.
    Love em raw. As for Cheese Steaks.. I like DiNic's and Tony Luke's. Although I prefer the Italian Pork Sandwhich with Broccoli Rabe and sharp provolone.
    Me Piace' a Molto!

User Info Menu

JD.
    this thread has taken a left turn ,perhaps it should have a "sub" heading
    " Joe's Gourmet Forum " LOL ( no offence )

User Info Menu

Well my Heritage Johnny Smith will arrive today. As you guys say, On Paper, it checks all the boxes.

Its a Johnny!
    25" Scale.
    Neck profile - Exquisito!
    Its Mint. In fact, the seller told me it looks newer than the other "new" guitars he has in his store. It still has the Warranty card in the case pocket.
    The sound of these guitars' are otherworldly. Although not as balanced as my DA, its close. In the tradition of the Johnny Smith guitar, its an archtop acoustic with a pickup. Nothing touches the top. Except for the neckblock extension which was a pre-requisite.
    Abalone!
    Hand Rubbed Brown Sunburst. The Color is a dream color for me. I like new blond guitars. Older Blond Guitars, not as much.
    I love the Finger Style tailpiece. So did Johnny.
    No old, outgassing pickguard that ruined the Gold parts to deal with.
    Medium Jumbo frets.
    Last and certainly not least, it fit better into my budget than a Gibson Johnny Smith would have.

I had one of these before. I sold it because I needed money for my D'A. After I sold it, I thought, the next Johnny I own will be a Gibson. Well, I tried to do that. It just didn't work out. My patience and my budget didn't allow it. I don't have the bucks to allow me to keep the D'A and buy a Gibson Johnny Smith. Especially, a Gibson Johnny Smith in the condition I would like it to come to me in. So, put it this way.. I really don't deserve the Gibson, because I cant really afford one. So think of the Heritage as a bit of compromise. Which Ironically, is, well, the perfect solution. Heritage Guitars are the perfect compromise. The same Guitar, made by the same world class craftsmen for the same artist for which I adore. Its where the smart money is.

When I sold my 1st Heritage Johnny Smith, I was too busy getting my D'Angelico situation under control to really miss it. But as the months went on, I realized what a perfect guitar that was, for me. It suits me perfectly.

So now, I will buckle down and play. I hope you guys don't mind. I will be killing you with another NGD. Probably more videos. You will see my ugly ass playing more Johnny Smith arrangements. Maybe an original arrangement. I will try some new recording techniques. I will try and improve. I got plans.
    Thank you, every last one of you for sharing my experience with me. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. You guys enhance this thing that I do. I try to do better and better because its my nature, but I do it to try and get a positive response out of you.

Thanks again guys.

JD

User Info Menu

So happy for you! Can't wait to hear and see your new treasure.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Your a great human being - class and kindness just ooze out of your soul. May that HJS be everything you have been hoping for....-and wishing you may hours of enjoyment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Joe,
    Your a great human being - class and kindness just ooze out of your soul. May that HJS be everything you have been hoping for....-and wishing you may hours of enjoyment.
    Stevie,
    I think you just described yourself and every other person who contributes to my crazy posts.
    Thank you buddy. I hope you get your Johnny too. I'd love to hear your assessment. That would be a locked down accurate assessment based on the experience of someone who has pretty much played and owned everyone of the greatest archtops (and beyond) ever made..
    Thanks again.
    JD

User Info Menu

Hey Joe,

where do you go with that ... HJS in your hand

now that we lay hand on these beauties we should have a remote jam ... Or recording or something. I mean you're a million times better than I could ever be, but I could lay down a few chords for your or something. That would be fun :-)

cheers,
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank67; 07-01-2016 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

As long as you are happpy, Joe. You are a good egg. So, back on the hunt for a Rose inlaid HJS pickguard?