The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 61

User Info Menu

Considering dropping my quest for an L-5 and getting an Ibanez GB200 instead.

Slightly smaller, more comfortable scale length and less feedback, cheaper, etc.

Ibanez GB200?-ibanez-gb200-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know you have a predilection for older instruments. What about a GB10?! Victor VanKampen who has numerous youtube videos and a website, jazzguts.com, plays one, and I think he sounds great.

There is also a fellow active in computer-music applications and knowhow, Alisdair McCrae Birch, who has played various GB models. I think he has soundclips on his website. (Should have written it down--easy enough to google and find him.)

User Info Menu

I'd prefer a GB20

Ibanez GB200?-img_0262-jpg

User Info Menu

You'd like the GB10. Got try a 1978 one recently. All I have to say is dayum! Fab guitar. Feels great. Small and user-friendly, attractive finish.

i've had over 10 GB10s. They are great instruments but have a tendency to feedback, are a little bit thin sounding when played solo or duo and my pick always hits the neck pickup due to its proximity to the strings and the balance of the bridge pickup is poor because it's too far from the strings. When you adjust the pickguard to compensate, the pickguard then is not level and the bass side is not level with the treble side.

User Info Menu

Jack, their was one on CL so I went and checked it out. Had a great neck but the sound just wasn't good and I played it through my Henriksen. IMO a good 175 sounds way better and of course the GB200 doesn't come close to a L5 sound wise. Of course tone is so personal but I am not a fan of the Ibanez '58 pickups. They sound thin and flat to me but of course that is just my opinion. I never heard a L5 ever that sounded bad to me. Even through a piece of crap amp. I am well known around here for bashing Gibson's QC but IMO when it comes to tone you can't get better than a Gibson archtop. I have 2 L5's and very sorry Jimmy (God rest his soul) but they sound better than my New Yorker.

i already have a great 175. Just looking for a brighter spruce top guitar to augment it. I owned a GB200 and loved it so I know what they sound like. How much did the guy want for the one you played? I've actually owned 2 of them and they both sounded great. I love the ibanez super 58 pickups and think that the ibanez line is extremely consistent!

User Info Menu

There is a guy in the forums named Merseybeat who has one I don't know what he payed for it. Here in the UK they go for around £1800/$2633 'ish FouldsMusic have one £1800 and PMT are asking £1899/$2780 for one, IMO they are overpriced I contemplated getting one for quite a while but in the end I settled for a new Fujigen built AF200, different tailpiece which I prefer, Super 58's, possibly slightly slimmer rim depth 70 mm at tail but otherwise seems the same.
    Last edited by Para; 04-10-2015 at 05:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I think you made the right choice T. And yes they have gone for as little as £1400 on ebay. I was tempted then but nah. I imagine the ones being sold here for more, are those ones still being flipped.

I played an Ibanez GB200 once in Andertons. Couldn't have been more disappointed. Hence why they are so cheap and even at £1400 I turned my nose up.

Id take the AF200 anytime. I bet thats a great guitar. I also think the GB20 would destroy it (The Gb200 that is) :-)
    Last edited by Archie; 04-10-2015 at 05:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Id take the AF200 anytime. I bet thats a great guitar.
    That's interesting, but what makes you think so--considering that the AF200 has been introduced quite recently.

(We are not talking about the old AF200s, are we?)

I mean, what would make a (new) AF200 so clearly more desirable than a (used) GB200?

User Info Menu

Have you considered an SS300?

no, haven't considered an ss300 because they don't have any around here. I had a GB200. Fabulous instrument. Not on the level of an L5 but definitely a great guitar in the benson lineup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    That's interesting, but what makes you think so--considering that the AF200 has been introduced quite recently.

(We are not talking about the old AF200s, are we?)

I mean, what would make a (new) AF200 so clearly more desirable than a (used) GB200?

Sorry I'm a little confused. The model (AF-200) has been around for decades. I have an AF120 but thats not in the same league.

I cant anwer your question directly and am happy to admit that i have no exact empirical evidence to give you. But the body shape has been used by ibanez for years.

I also wasn't claiming either was better, I just know that the AF-200 is a good guitar and imo the GB200 isn't (imo).

In reality you cant really compare them because they are different guitars. I just thought that Para had made a good choice imo.

I'm alsop not claiming JZ is wrong. Its all personal taste and each to their own. Howver and again like with all discussions, there is a certain amount of evidence that backs my side of the argument more. For example the lack of demand for the guitar and its horrendous second hand value.

but that could be Jz's good bit of luck, that he can enjoy and make good a guitar that others struggle with and I'm sure he can.
    Last edited by Archie; 04-10-2015 at 08:20 AM.

from what I can see, the used AF200 and GB200 go for about the same price ~$2200(ish) USD

And as said before, I've owned a couple of them and they are great instruments. Resale value and popularity have absolute *ZERO* to do with how good something is. The vast majority of instruments are sold to folks who don't play.

If popularity was the ultimate measure of something's worth, I'd have to say that Slash outplays Benson.

User Info Menu

Jack, the one I played the guy was asking $2200 for it. It was a very well made axe but bright sounding to me. I like a real dark thick almost muddy tone but hey that is just me. Hope you find a nice one. I do like them much better than the new GB300. I bought a GB20 in 1980 and it was bright but I really liked that axe for a while. Seems the older I get my ears like a darker tone. These days I keep all my tone knobs on zero or no more than 2 at the most.

Yeah, I know what you're saying Vinny. The GB200 I had was bright also but I thought it had a nice wispy sound for wes type of playing and of course bensony stuff. It sounded really nice with thomastik strings I thought. Rounds would be ridiculously bright as would d'addario chromes until they deaden down a bit.

I have not heard any sounds of the GB30 or GB300 that I liked.

I'd be curious if the AF200 is really the same guitar as the GB200 (or better) as some have said.

User Info Menu

So essentially a GB200 is a Gibson L-4CES albeit w/ slightly different body measurements? Is the top solid or laminate, that would really cue you to the feedback issues as well as the tone. Although once it has 2 humbuckers it might not be as big of a deal. It seems as though you (Jack Z.) prefer the feel of the high end Japanese guitars overall to similar Gibson guitars from what you said in previous threads. I'm sure it's a very fine guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    no, haven't considered an ss300 because they don't have any around here. I had a GB200. Fabulous instrument. Not on the level of an L5 but definitely a great guitar in the benson lineup.
    The SS300 was put into production in Dec 14 so I'm not surprised they aren't readily available yet.
    Worth a look at as they are similar dimensions to the GB series.
    Spruce top, Maple body and Ebony board. Whats not to like?

they have spliced neck heels don't they? My experience is the more splices in the neck, the lower the sound quality.

User Info Menu

they have spliced neck heels don't they? My experience is the more splices in the neck, the lower the sound quality.
    Well there you go.
    I've heard the same thing about wooden volume knobs!

User Info Menu

maybe because the spliced heels were on cheaper guitars from korea, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMc
    Well there you go.
    I've heard the same thing about wooden volume knobs!
    Just about every great luthier uses a solid piece of wood for the necks. The *ONLY* reason to splice them is cost savings. It's like using laminated fingerboards and composites.

User Info Menu

Ok point taken.
    I was under the impression that a 3 piece neck was more stable but you learn something new everyday.
    One question, would it really make a difference with an electric guitar?

Also the SJ300 is more an L5 style of guitar. I believe it's a follow on from the SS500.

i talked to jimmy d'aquisto about this and his feeling was that the neck heel transmitted vibrations to the body and that a glued on neck heel reduced volume and inhibited tone. The neck splices going in the direction of the grain are not as bad but a spliced/scarf joint cuts through the grain and was the worst offender.

User Info Menu

Ibanez GB200?-joint-explanation-jpg

There are benefits to a scarf joint. Gibson headstocks break all the time for this very reason.