The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 232

User Info Menu

I will try to share as much info as I can so as to hopefully get some good advice on buying a good , but cheap jazz guitar for me.

I have had a guitar for years--an Encore, roundbacked, semi-acoustic steel stringed guitar, which I fell in love with. However, because of the high action, it's very difficult ot play and it seriously curtailed the potential for learning guitar. I ended up most 'happy' strumming. And using slide, its tone is magic

I now have been inspired to really want to learn guitar properly...

I like lots of styles, jazz, blues, flamenco, brazilian, classical, ...

I want a guitar where I can practice all these styles without being impeded by a too high action.

So I am curious what guitars the jazz players here have?

I also cannot spend too much...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Elixzer, there's a roundup of jazz guitars here:

Jazz Guitars Buyer's Guide - The Best Guitar For Jazz [2020]

Check the Jay Turser jazz boxes. I got one from eBay and it was fantastic! And it was sold at less than $250...

There are a couple of eBay sellers that only sell this brand.

Advice on Buying a Cheap Jazz Guitar-jay-turser-jazz-guitar-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm looking for a cheap jazz guitar myself...

Right now I'm considering:

Washburn J600
    The Loar LH-350

I"m looking for a good neck and a good unplugged sound (not strong but mellow) , even if I need to have the mike replaced later.

I'm going to Paris to try a lot of guitars this week and maybe buy one, any advice would be appreciated.

Also I'd appreciate any hint as for what to check in the guitar before buing it.

A used Epiphone Joe Pass.

Advice on Buying a Cheap Jazz Guitar-epiphone-joe-pass-jpg

User Info Menu

Godin Kingpin!

Advice on Buying a Cheap Jazz Guitar-godin-5th-avenue-kingpin-jpg

User Info Menu

Ibanez AG or AF95, or an older used one...

Advice on Buying a Cheap Jazz Guitar-ibanez-af95-jpg

Aria and Hofner have some great inexpensive guitars...

Play as many as you can...consider feel and sound and workmanship on the instrument...does if finger well under your fingers...can you play your runs and scales with good feel and sound...

as you get better and have a few years in on playing...the phrase.."it's not the instrument but the musician playing it"...

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

I'm in a similar situation. There's an Epiphone Joe Pass locally with the gold hardware replaced (big plus for me) but I see a lot of recommendations for the Godin Kingpin. I'm really partial to the cutaway but that model seems to be more expensive. Is the Godin that much more superior, and in what ways?

User Info Menu

Seriously consider an Ibanez AFJ81 or AFJ85.

Advice on Buying a Cheap Jazz Guitar-ibanez-afj85-jpg

User Info Menu

The Godin Kingpin sounds better and plays better than anything else in its price range. I also like the fact it looks stripped down and "workman like." To me, a thick layer of gloss on some of the budget guitars from Epiphone and such just look like a cover up.

User Info Menu

I tried the loar a couple weeks ago.i really liked it.great sound acoustically,if your looking for something you dont always have to plug in.i played a godin about a year ago and really liked it.those two are probably the best in your price range for acoustics and non-inlay necks.the loar has a weird shaped neck though,kind of thick and angled,not uncomfortable though.I dont think you should get the washburn though,there good for rockabilly stuff more so than jazz in my opinion.If you want something that has a great sound pluggd in and change your mind about the pearl blocks id say the epiphone es 175.you can get them around 400-550USD.

User Info Menu

Greetings,
    I'm back from paris.
    Have tried a few guitars within and slightly outside my price range.
    I think I'm not going for floating pickups because I don't want to only be able to play jazz.

I found out that I don't like the glossy varnished necks which I found sticky (epiphones)
    Also I feel more comfortable holding a guitar with a moderate body depth.

My wife agreed to raise the budget a notch so I can consider a peerless wizard or a godin kingpin.
    I liked the satin finish of the godin neck but I felt the peerles neck seemed easier (maybe a notch wider, I have rather thick fingertips)

I really was close to buying the wizard but I decided to wait a little, give it some thought.

User Info Menu

I've got some updates.

I tried many guitars and my favorites are
    Peerless wizard and Ibanez AF125
    It's not exactly "budget" but I might be able to afford those

I still need to try the Peerless Gigmaster Jazz before I decide

The COOL thing is that a friend is loaning me an Ibanez AF75 till Xmas so right now so I can practice a bit more in order to take an educated decision.

I will pretty soon be looking for a little amp (preferably able to operate on batteries) and I might go for
    Yamaha THR10 and postpone the guitar purchase till Xmas

User Info Menu

I was going to suggest a new Ibanez AF105F, those are from their Artcore range and really nice, should be readily available there in the EU...

Good luck. Please try out the guitar you buy IN PERSON, and if it is a little tough to play have the shop have their guitar tech do a thorough setup on the guitar and get the action lowered some so it is comfortably to strum and play...

Mike

User Info Menu

about Ibanez: I had an AF 105 NT (the 125 is the upper grade, more cosmetic I think), it was well made (in China), 700€ new, I liked the neck (short scale) but the mikes were a little poor, I was starting jazz at this time and it was good for that. I used this guitar during three years and had no problem (just had to screw a little bit the jack hole on the guitar). I had no money to buy a more expensive guitar and had no regret ( Peerless was not available in France at this time and I never tried one).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tootZ
    I had an AF 105 NT (the 125 is the upper grade, more cosmetic I think),
    The 125 has two humbuckers and the 105 only one, right ?

I think i'm going to go for dual mics so I can play a wider variety of styles. Not just jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gibouille
    The 125 has two humbuckers and the 105 only one, right ?

I think i'm going to go for dual mics so I can play a wider variety of styles. Not just jazz.
    No both have two humbuckers. They are essentially the same guitar as far as I can make out. The 125 has more flashy stuff on it (better trimmings etc) but I think they have the same pick ups. Both come up quite a lot on ebay.

Phil

User Info Menu

Be advised THERE IS a floating version of the AF105. It's worth looking into. The one thing about all these upper end Artcores is the pickups are Super 58 Customs, not as great as the orginal Ibanez Super 58's but pretty doggone nice.

The overall build quality of these higher numbered (models starting with 100 and above) is truly fantastic. I know many fellows that bought intending to swap out the pickups with Gibson or Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers but decided that a little fine tuning of the pickup height and a slight roll off on the tone knob was all that was necessary. 11's sound great on these guitars.

User Info Menu

I have found a used Ibanez Artcore AK 85 DVS with micros gibson 57 for 450 €
    tempting...

User Info Menu

I agree with all the above. My opinion is an AF105, AF125, or AK 105 would be better. I also would prefer the AFJ series over an AK 85 I think.

I have an Ibanez AK105SM and I used to have an AF105. I've thought about replacing the custom 58 pickups, but I haven't yet in the 4-5 years I've owned it.

User Info Menu

The great thing about the AK105SM models is that flame maple binding really sets off the rest of the wood. Does yours have the dreaded MAP overlay or is it one of the originals that is sans map. They were made for Japan and Europe in very limited numbers (talk going around the campfire is only 120 of them were made, 60 in natural and 60 in the dark stain). I've owned 3 of the AS103s, one in natural spalted, one in darn stain burl and a 3rd in a honey natural burl. All amazing guitars.

For a little more money you can find them if you are patient. Now aren't you in Europe ? I know I have seen a couple for sale in Germany via music stores. Start searching for them, really they are like the future really collectable Ibanez models of this Century.

User Info Menu

I agree with those who already stated that if you like Artcores, for a little more money you can go for the 100 series. I have an AF125 with Classic 57s which can produce great tones and has excellent playability. My only issue is that the neck is a bit too narrow (for me) so definitely try before you buy. Otherwise you can't really fault these guitars for the price.

User Info Menu

Right now I've upped my budget a notch and I'm looking at two humbuckers, a 44mm nut and a thin body and no bigsby.
    My shortlist includes Eastman T386 and Hofner Verythin
    Thanks to my buddy who loaned me an ibanez aF75 I'm in no hurry.

User Info Menu

Check out Samick Royale series as well.

Advice on Buying a Cheap Jazz Guitar-samick-royale-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Check out Samick Royale series as well.
    Seems nice but...
    1 5/8 nut on the samick....ouch... that's narrow