The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 277

User Info Menu

Over the past few weeks I've been searching for a new guitar. My search has led me right back to where I already was: Fender Telecaster.

I've owned a 1983 American (pre-Standard) Tele for 20 years. But, it is getting a bit worn out by now. So I think maybe Ill just replace it.

I found a good price on a 2012 American Standard Tele with a swamp ash body and rosewood fret board. I would rather have a maple fret board but it's not a big deal to me if I can't find as good a price on one, which is the case.

I also found a good price on a 2012 American Vintage '69 Telecaster Thinline.

The Thinline is about $400 more, obviously, but it comes with a vintage style bridge, which I prefer. And it comes with a modern bridge, just in case you want to change it up. It has that maple fret board which I like on a Tele. And it has an F-hole, of course. But I'm not sure if I like its narrow frets and I'm not too certain its pickups are better than what a new American Standard Telecaster has.

Where the Standard is concerned, again, I'm not very into its bridge, and I don't know about that belly cut. And, I was kind of hoping to move away from a solid body sound. However, its neck would play much easier, it does sound good, and it is less expensive than the Thinline.

Anybody have an opinion on this? I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

--p.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The differences you mention are all about personal preference -- maple vs rosewood fretboard, modern versus vintage bridge, fret wire. I can't really say one must sound jazzier than the other. Some people say the thinlines sound a little woodier or have more mids, but bring on the blindfold test!

Me, I'd take rosewood, vintage fretwire, a strat hardtail bridge and the lighter weight of a thinline, but Fender doesn't make that, do they?

Usually, people are wondering about single coil versus humbucker.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-21-2013 at 12:56 AM.

User Info Menu

What's worn out on the old Tele that can't be replaced, repaired, or updated? The old tele has a lot of Mojo a new one won't.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's very much personal preference, I suppose. But I'm just wondering what others think. You know, this could be what I play for another 20 years, so I want to be sure!

To answer your question as best I can, the modern Tele bridge is very much like a Strat hard tail bridge. The American Vintage '69 Thinline comes with a vintage Tele bridge and a modern Tele bridge. It also has vintage fret wire. But it doesn't have a rosewood fret board.

Now, I have seen rosewood fret boards on a few Thinlines, but I believe they were modified.

In general, I prefer a rosewood fret board, but on a Tele, I slightly prefer the more traditional maple fret board.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    What's worn out on the old Tele that can't be replaced, repaired, or updated? The old tele has a lot of Mojo a new one won't.
    To be honest, there ain't much that can't be replaced or modified on it. But it is a "top loader," and "top loaders" are kind of brighter with a little more sustain than through-the-body Teles, and that probably shouldn't be altered because it's something of a rarity. And it's a solid body. Other than that, the fret board and frets are getting a bit worn out, as you might expect. That's about all I'd change about it.

User Info Menu

I remember that someone at the TDPRI forum, under the Just Pickups subforum, suggested that the American Standard made in 1983, just that year, have such great pickups. I was kind of perplexed by that statement. Anyway, just a curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I remember that someone at the TDPRI forum, under the Just Pickups subforum, suggested that the American Standard made in 1983, just that year, have such great pickups. I was kind of perplexed by that statement. Anyway, just a curiosity.
    That is perplexing to me, too.

I was under the impression that between 1982 and 1983, all that changed besides color choices, was that the 1982s came with the old ashtray bridge, complete with ashtray cover, and in 1983 (and subsequently, in 1984) you had a choice of top loader bridge or vintage style bridge, but if you got the vintage style, it no longer came with the ashtray cover.

It's hard for me to say, anyway, because I bought my '83 used, and without its original pickups. I run the '51 Nocasters in it.
    Last edited by pauls76; 01-21-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Thank you.

Indeed, I have been really happy with my Nocaster pickups. You know, they're not pickups that have rock and roll in mind, they're based on pre-rock pickups. But they actually do well right across the spectrum of music, from rock to blues, country and R&B, and they get a nice jazz sound, too.
    Last edited by pauls76; 01-21-2013 at 02:36 AM.

User Info Menu

There is a USA Tele that came with a Seymour Duncan Vintage Minibucker in the neck. My teacher had one. Maple neck. It was a great jazz Tele. My USACG has SD Minibucker in the neck. Great guitar.

User Info Menu

I hope I don't sound too rude, but IMHO when we talk about one Tele versus another one, this is nitpicking about minute differencies which can be levelled out with a slight twist on the tone controls on the amp and/or the guitar. Choice of strings, picks, picking position, general playing style, amp and amp settings means far more to the sound of the instrument. As for the bridge, I'd prefer a Strat hardtail type for a vintage tele if only for the reason that each string can be compensated individually, so intonation should be better. As for the particular magic properties of pickups from 1983, I'd be very sceptical. There's so much woodoo and mumble jumble out there about pickups. Once I even read on a web site of a "pickup expert" that the color of the plastic used for the bobbins of a certain pickup was very important to the sound. Oh yeah?

As for the worn fretboard and frets, you can have the fingerboard planed and refretted by a good guitar technician. Or you can buy a new neck for it for about the same cost (or maybe less?). It so easy to replace a Fender neck yourself. There are several providers of necks for Tele and Strat. Warmoth is one, but not the only one.

If you really want another tele style guitar with more custom features than is offered by Fender, consider putting one together yourself from a Warmoth body and neck plus whatever you want in pickups and parts. Besides getting exactly what you want, it's great fun to do the assembling and make it play.

And finally: Sounding good on a musical instrument is first of all a matter of a good setup - to your preferencies - and about knowing the particular instrument and its quirks inside out from many, many hours of playing it.

To DRS,

Thanks for your input. I think the Tele you are referring to is the Vintage '52 Hot Rod Tele (Vintage Hot Rod '52 Tele® | Electric Guitars | Fender Guitars).

To Oldane,

Yes, I am "nitpicking" a bit and no, you're not rude, because the criticism you offer is highly constructive. I value what you said. Now, in my defense I would offer in return, that although what you said is true, it might still be preferential not to have to dial an amp's or guitar's settings in such a way to mimic a guitar you would rather be playing. Hence, Fender produces 986 different versions of the Telecaster with all these minute differences between them.

I'm probably exaggerating when I say "986." I haven't actually counted them all.

You also make a good point about the Strat-style Tele bridges. It is absolutely true that they would intone more clearly. Where I was coming from in liking the vintage style Tele bridge is that it's original to Teles, and what is original to Teles is what made Teles so great and versatile in the first place. So, my point is that as Fender makes these minor "improvements" to this aspect or that, they are also perhaps moving farther and farther away from what makes the Tele so great: Simplicity.

Regards,

--p.
    Last edited by pauls76; 01-21-2013 at 11:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I love Teles. I have three Nocaster RIs and my trusty old G&L ASAT Classic, which I had before the Nocasters. The G&L is much better for jazz. It's much more even up and down the fretboard. Even with different pickups it retains that warmth and balance. The Nocasters are much more rude; they kinda have a raw feel and sound that the ASAT just can't replicate for more down home music. I agree with the poster above, the differences are subtle compared to a Tele vs. another type of guitar. However, they are definitely there.

User Info Menu

Hi Paul,

So you've owned your '83 for twenty years. Cool! Let me ask you; if it was not "worn out," would you be looking for a new guitar? Twenty years is a long time to own a guitar for some people, and usually it means that you either are quite attached to it, or you simply never get of anything.

If you are simply tired of it, that's cool. It happens to many of us in a matter of weeks, let alone decades. But if you secretly wish it was just like new again, then get it refretted. It's not a big deal. For around $200 you will have what feels like a brand new guitar with the same comfy, familiar neck.

I owned an '83 for a short time. It sounded good, but I was not a fan of the neck or the weight. The neck was too slim for me, and it had sharp edges (i.e. not a soft or rolled feel). It was also at least 8 lbs, probably closer to 9. I'm a fan of lighter guitars for both comfort and tone. But these are personal things, not relevant to you in any way.

The best way to get a Tele is to build one. Every single part can be found and configured to your taste. That includes actual Fender necks of different years and styles (from Ebay). The only trick is that you need to know your preferences, and nobody on a forum can tell you those.

My current beloved Tele is a Warmoth mutt outfitted to look like a classic butterscotch blonde blackguard, but with an unfinished canary wood neck that has a 1.75" nut width. It has Lollar "T" style pickups and a vintage 3 saddle bridge with brass barrels. So part of the guitar is crafted to meet my aesthetic preferences, and the rest is configured to my playability preferences. You simply can't get that from Fender.

User Info Menu

My pick would be a G&L ASAT Special. The neck pickup on these is one of my favorite pickups - loud, clear, with fantastic highs and lows. They tend to have well-voiced tone controls, so rolling off the sparkling highs is easy without getting mud. I'd skip the semi-hollow, as I find it removes midrange.

User Info Menu

i have three teles

i bought my first years back and asked similar questions-i would mention, imho, that the TDPRI, is, like this place, or the Les Paul forum, or the Martin forum, more likely to give you a very traditionalist POV on what a telel 'ought to be'-this is worthwhile for finding the most populare style /features in terms of resale but wont necessarily help you find your HEART for YOUR tele

i would simply tell you go with your gut, that alone

if you want maple get it-dont compromise (i got maple on my broadcaster clone and regeret not getting rosewood-i was told maple it THEboard for a tele (which i dont dispute) but being a person who like rosewood and ebony, i wish i had followed my heart-a new neck to my liking now woudl cost me over 600 from the builder, just to give you my regrets and perspective

dont do what others tell you you "ought"

imho teles get thier unique sound from the metal bridge plate
    i have all 3 barrel saddles and by using 10s and a little care in saddle adjustment and tempering tuning intonation is good

i have used them for jazz

one is a lentz-basically a superb no caster-flatpole pickups-which means higher output and as nicely summed up , a bit rude-but also imho far closer to humbuckers in the mids-perhaps my all around favorite-the neck sounds very strat like-maple board fat neck, 6105 frets-9.5 radius-ash-3 way blade

i have one with jazzmaster pups and significantly a modded bridge plate to accomdate them-sounds just about identical to a jazzmaster -rosewood -14 " radius -very nice for jazz -6150 frets-a bit wider strat style neck -superb for fingerpicking and easy to bend and play way way up high if you do that sort of thing-ash-imho this sounds like a jazz master because it has those pups and doesnt have the full metal tailpeice on which the bridge pup sits-the pup sits on the body-3 way blade

i have a korina body tele with rosewood board and low output humbuckers-6105 frets-also very nice for jazz and of all i prefer this one because of the low out put humbucker in the neck -sound somewhat 175 ish but a bit brighter-neck is medimu flat c shaped with slightly differing shoulders treble and bass side-very nice-5 way blade-bridge pup sits on elongated ferrous tele style tailplate

i suggest this;if you can keep your old guitar-you may miss it

choose another that you like, even if its red with a rosewood board-(or whatever YOU fancy)
    and then later decide if youre DONE with Old Paint

i give you this info to give you an idea of permutations of necks boards and bodies,

what i observe, provided you have single coils, or low output hums, and the tele bridge, is that the other things change sound and coloring only very slightly-single coils are by nature nosier or can be-so dont get too hung up on minutia for its own sake

and-fwiw i use a peterson strobe and my teles are pretty spot on all the way up-
    i find teles seem to do well with 10s or a bit heavier-lighter strings are a bit harder to get superb intonation from three barrel brass saddles--but a lot of folks prefer them-

but as i mentioned do only what YOU like-

i happen to really like the through the body stringing

i will add this, i would stay away from basswood, only because it is soft and while it sounds much like poplar as far as holding screws and the like, it is closer to balsa wood-

i dont think you could go wrong with a 52 re-issue (looked and played many of these-didnt like the 7.5 neck or vintage wiring which can be easily changed, but thats about it) ) or a G and L-get what you like !!!
    Last edited by stevedenver; 01-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks.

Part of the reason why I want to try something new is because, after 20 years, it just seems like it would be exciting. Plus, if I take that old '83 and sell her, I can get $500-$600 towards a brand new one.

If I go through with it, by the way, this will be my third Tele. Besides the '83, I also had a MIM '72 Thinline for a couple years, and despite that the quality of it was less than that of my American Standard, I loved that guitar. Ever since I got rid of it, I've been thinking about replacing it, but I prefer the single coils in the '69 to the '72's wide-range humbuckers.

Maybe I better just "go with my gut" and go with the '69 thinline and stop bothering everybody here. Still, I have to admit to loving the sound of the new American Stanard Teles! Another new one I like, by the way, is the Acoustasonic Tele (http://www.fender.com/series/deluxe/acoustasonic-tele/). I wish they made a US version of that.

Anyway,

Thanks, all!
    Last edited by pauls76; 01-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I used to own a 1975 deluxe with the cunife neck humbucker. That was the biggest/fattest/warmest tone I've ever gotten from a tele. I bet it would have made a great jazz guitar.

i can't deny the thinline mode of thinking but I also always liked the current production 52 hot rod model.

User Info Menu

I own two Teles:
    the first one is a '52 Reisse (also known at TDPRI as AVRI '52) with stock pickups and modern wiring.
    The other one is a 2012 Custom Shop '59 Heavy Relic Limited Edition, which is really a great guitar,
    with a Twisted Tele neck pickup and a Nocaster bridge pickup, and a 4 positions switch.

Fender Telecaster for Jazz. Which one?-p1030444-jpg

If I were you I'd go for a Custom Shop: '51 Nocaster or '52 Telecaster (this one is not the same as the AVRI '52).
    You can read all the specs in the Fender Website. I think they are fantastic instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shawntp
    I used to own a 1975 deluxe with the cunife neck humbucker. That was the biggest/fattest/warmest tone I've ever gotten from a tele. I bet it would have made a great jazz guitar.
    It should be pointed out that current Fender wide-range humbucker (WRHB) pickups aren't CuNiFe -- they're just ordinary HBs in a bigger cover. Apart from the original WRHB pickups, Fender hasn't got many fans for the HBs they build themselves, but it's easy enough to drop in a different pickup if the body is routed for it.

User Info Menu

That Accoustasonic Tele (link) looks intriguing, havent played one but might be just the ticket.

I am intirgued especially by the R W bridge plate! Those aura systems are excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    My pick would be a G&L ASAT Special. The neck pickup on these is one of my favorite pickups - loud, clear, with fantastic highs and lows. They tend to have well-voiced tone controls, so rolling off the sparkling highs is easy without getting mud. I'd skip the semi-hollow, as I find it removes midrange.
    I agree with the G & L ASAT special. They sound and feel great. Plus they are happy to build you a custom one exactly to your specifications. (they're not fast) P.S. spend the money to upgrade your old axe. You'll never regret it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchief1
    I agree with the G & L ASAT special. They sound and feel great.
    Partly inspired by my comments on this thread, I ended up getting an ASAT Special. They make a mahogany bodied version in their tribute series with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. For $500 it was a no-brainer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    Partly inspired by my comments on this thread, I ended up getting an ASAT Special. They make a mahogany bodied version in their tribute series with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. For $500 it was a no-brainer.
    Count me in! I ordered a USA ASAT Special yesterday. I wanted a wide fretboard, so I went the custom order route.

I've been wanting a T-style guitar for a long time but I realized that I was not interested in iconic Telecaster features: I didn't want a maple fretboard, or the Tele bridge/bridgeplate, vintage frets or radius.

I checked out a ASAT Special and loved the Jumbo MFD single coils. The guitar sold itself to me.

User Info Menu

I got a G&L ASAT deluxe semi hollow(with humbuckers) and a Fender Custom shop classic tele(with single-coils and a 4-way switch), both work well but I prefer the Fender. A tele neck pickup can really great for jazz, more than a humbucker sometimes.