The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    20 second Bill Frisell video w/ 26 words and arm pumping
    Are you saying I talk too much? The Sportsman may be owned by Fretboard Journal because there are a few videos with other artists playing it. Bill's are the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I am disappointed no one suggested this...
    Me too! That looks incredible. It definitely solves the age old problem of people never knowing what technology is inside your amp!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I really don't understand the tube amps are noisy comments. I have a bf super reverb and a redplate tweedyverb, they are both whisper quiet. If your amp is old and noisy, have the caps replaced. It's like driving a car with 30 year old oil...
    Noted. In the first post I talked about having built brand new kits—several. The basic Fender circuit can be noisy, especially if you use reverb—at least the DR and PR circuits I've built / bought. You are fortunate it's not an issue for you. With this Carr it's not an issue for me either.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Are you saying I talk too much? The Sportsman may be owned by Fretboard Journal because there are a few videos with other artists playing it. Bill's are the best though.

Me too! That looks incredible. It definitely solves the age old problem of people never knowing what technology is inside your amp!

Noted. In the first post I talked about having built brand new kits—several. The basic Fender circuit can be noisy, especially if you use reverb—at least the DR and PR circuits I've built / bought. You are fortunate it's not an issue for you. With this Carr it's not an issue for me either.

What most folks don't get is that any analogue reverb circuit is going to have noise. It has zero to due with the amp.

Second, a lot of people blame the amp for the bad wiring/rf/emf in and around their home. Or worse, they bitch about the amp being noisy, meanwhile they are using single coil pickups, being completely oblivious to the fact that the single coils are what's picking up the nasties....

Sorry to rant, it's just people talk about these tube amp Internet myths, noise, reliability issues etc... They never used a good tube amp. It's like complaining about guitars, when you only ever tried an Esteban guitar.

No modeling amp made today will still function in 30 years. None of ss amps will still be in service without a few trips to a tech.

There are thousands of tube amps going back to the 50's that have never seen a tech bench or a new tube in 60 years, and they still work great. Let that sink in folks...

User Info Menu

Here is an advice for all the people looking for a "fenderish" sound without the Tubeamp hassle:

I made some recordings of my Fender DRRI and ran it thru the Spectrum Analyzer of my DAW. Then I ran my Boss GT100 thru it (with the Fender Black Panel Model) and tried to emulate the curve of the Spectrum Analyzer very carefully.
    (I always played the same chords with the same guitar).
    With a few tweaks, some EQing and a bit of carefully adjusted Reverb I have a more than pleasing result when playing my ES165.

On the other Hand, my Mesa 5:50 Express gives me everything my DRRI won`t. But it`s heavy and after I modelled my DRRI with the Boss I didn`t care about the Mesa because it is so convenient to bring the Boss to the gigs and rehearsals (with a small acoustic amp for monitoring).

User Info Menu

the *ONLY* SS setups that are close are kemper and axefx. Nothing else is even close. Having said that, the mambo is the best clean jazz amp in terms of tone controls that are similar to fender. all the other jazz amps have the tone controls in the wrong place though most of them sound good for a dark jazz tone but if you are liking the fender sound of the deluxe reverb, you can't get that sound out of AI, Henriksen, jazzkat, evans, etc. I love my AI and henriksen amps though. They are great amps for a dark jazz tone.

User Info Menu

deleted
    Last edited by m_d; 06-04-2015 at 07:05 AM. Reason: deleted as this is an old thread

User Info Menu

A bit of early Solid State amp history.

"‘SOLID’ STATE?

During this same time (1965/66), a number of my
    competitors introduced solid-state guitar and bass
    amps often with disastrous results (reliability wise).
    Almost everybody back then was used to designing
    amplifiers using the data given in so called “tube
    manuals”... Each manufacturer supplied technical
    data for designers and this data had PROVEN VERY
    RELIABLE for decades and everybody involved in
    design of audio amplifiers assumed (wrongly) that
    the info in the TRANSISTOR MANUALS was “just as
    accurate” as the TUBE MANUAL data had been...

IT WASN’T! Everybody (including Peavey) had reliability
    problems with their early solid-state amps... At
    that time, most transistor power amps utilized “driver
    transformers,” and there was little or no “short circuit”
    protection and very little effort made to stabilize
    the output circuitry (thermally)... In short, everybody
    depended on their “traditional” methods of design
    using data provided by the device manufacturers as
    the “basis” for their solid-state amp designs... "

http://peavey.com/support/technotes/.../chapter_3.pdf

User Info Menu

The new version of the Quilter Micropro 200 8" with the voicing set for surf, sounds VERY close to Fender, with the tone controls being in very musical positions - considering that there is a Mid control and a high cut the Fenders don't have. If one takes the time to adjust it, it sounds amazing. The 12" HD does as well, but not the regular 12" or the 10" which don't have the full range speakers.

I have my original Quilter MP200 8" for sale and am using the new one exclusively - and loving it. This coming from a 60s Blackface fan.

bob

User Info Menu

can you post a clip Bob? I haven't heard any jazzy clips of the quilter amps that cop anything like the bensony / fendery tone you can get out of a fender amp or the quilter/axefx modeling amps

User Info Menu

Sorry but every time I see this thread's title I think of this picture....

Amp unicorn: solid state Deluxe Reverb (no noise, no tubes)?-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo
    Sorry but every time I see this thread's title I think of this picture....
    I'm not sure you have anything to be sorry about.

I always kind of have this in mind when I think about good tone that comes out of an amp (probably minus the hippo):
    Amp unicorn: solid state Deluxe Reverb (no noise, no tubes)?-rainbow_unicorn_and_hippo-png

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread and OP has already made his choice, but since this is a nice and informative thread for people currently looking into getting a new amp, I thought to contribute to this old thread anyway.

For those looking to buy a solid state modeling amp, be aware that all currently available modeling amps seem to have a common problem of footswitch (FS) latency. I bought a Fender Mustang IIIv2 (since recently no longer in production, I believe) and returned it. Because while switching presets during a song, an audiable pause of complete silence occured each time I hit the FS. (I even had it checked out by technicians, and according to Fender, this is how they role out of their factory). Pretty much unworkable on stage when you need mid-song sound setting changes such as simply going from clean to distortion. (Also, this particular amp also sounded very thin and powerless to me, in band-setup). Reviews of the Blackstar modeling amps told me that they have the same FS-latency problem.

So, in search for a replacement, I tried out a couple of other amps: I first A/B/C-tested a Roland Blues Cube Stage (solid state amp), a Laney CUB 12R (all tubes) and a VOX AC15C1 (all tubes). I wanted to also A/B test the Koch Jupiter 45 (hybrid), but this amp/brand is hard to find in music stores.

I did not like the sound of the Roland Blues Cube Stage (matter of taste, it does have some nice features like the option to combine the clean and distortion channel).

The Laney CUB 12R sounded pretty good, but not as "wide" as the VOX and it only has one channel. Several reviews also remarked that the 15W of the Laney was not enough for even small gigs, where as the 15W of the VOX was reported to be more than enough (weird...).

The VOX sounded good (though a bit trebly). But, it does not have a lot of headroom and breaks up rather quickly when turning up the volume on the clean channel. (And to be able to switch between the normal and the hot channel, you need to buy an ABY-pedal which adds some $100 to the price of the amp). A Vox AC30 supposedly has a lot more headroom, but also is a lot more expensive and a lot heavier [>30kg].

I also tried out a Fender Blues Junior III, but I was not all that impressed (it seemed kind of buzzy when turned up loud in clean).

I finally found a music store which had a Koch Jupiter 45 Combo in stock. This amp is very quiet. And the clean ("cool") channel stays that way even on high volume. The clean channel also stays clean, even on very high volume. Should you want a slightly broken up/distorted sound, you can achieve this by adjusting volume and gain settings of the "cool" channel or going over to the “hot” (OD) channel (with its own gain and volume knobs, going from slightly, to very distorted sounds). It's a pity that the clean and OD channel share the EQ-section, but not so strange if you look at the price of the amp.

Both amp and FS appear to be very sturdy (I guess that is where part of the weight comes from; the amp is some 19 kg). Of course no latency when using the FS. A (serial) FX loop and record-out option are handy. It has a contour switch to go from a more Fendery sound to a more Marshally sound. You can add an additional cabinet if you want. But the amp is clearly more than loud enough in band-situation. The amp acts and sounds like a tube amp, but because there are only two tubes in it (one in the pre-amp and one in the power amp), it should be more reliable and cheaper in maintenance compared to a full tube amp.

So, in the end, I chose the Koch Jupiter 45 Combo.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comparative findings with such a nice writeup. Sounds like you made a great choice!
    And welcome to the Forum!

User Info Menu

It’s true that the last generation of modelers are an overkill solution (Axe FX, Helix, Kemper, Atomic Amplifire), but there is one that it’s just perfect for the task: Atomic Ampli-firebox.
    For amplification you can use a FRFR speaker or a power amp in a pedal like the mooer baby bomb and your favorite cab.

I have an atomic Amplifire 12 and also a Joyo American Sound, that is very good, but the modeling + IRs is a more powerful and versatile option.
    Last edited by chenko; 03-31-2018 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

@ooglybong - Thanks!

@chenko - How about latency if you want to switch presets on the Atomic?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M.T.Pilot
    @ooglybong - Thanks!

@chenko - How about latency if you want to switch presets on the Atomic?
    Hi, I have no noticeable latency on my AF12, ampli-firebox should be the same.

User Info Menu

I would go down the modeling/profiling route with a powered speaker. These days, the sounds are so good. You don‘t deal with heavy amps or failing tubes anymore. There is no directionality of the speaker that drives your band members crazy, the sound at the front of the house is the one you are hearing, no need for microphones, quick setup, great for recording, any level of gain at any volume ...

... if you can swing it, the Kemper is fantastic and will get you deluxe reverb (or any other) sounds at any volume with no hum. People are also very convinced by the Axe Fx or Helix (which is cheaper) that I haven‘t tried. Many people are being put off by deep editing menus. At least with the Kemper you don‘t need to do this. Turn it on, set the Eq where you like it and you‘re good to go. You *can*, of course, fiddle with menus to your hearts desire, but you really don‘t have to once you have a profile that you like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M.T.Pilot
    The Laney CUB 12R sounded pretty good, but not as "wide" as the VOX and it only has one channel. Several reviews also remarked that the 15W of the Laney was not enough for even small gigs, where as the 15W of the VOX was reported to be more than enough (weird...).
    I've been gigging clubs with Laney CUB12R, with my blues band. No mic. I did replace speaker with g12h30 anniversary which is louder then previous but I played first few gigs with stock speaker (Rocket 50 if I recall good) and I remember that it was loud enough but poor sounding. Loudest I went is 7 master, 4 gain.

You wont get Jazz clean at high Volume but you will get decent clean around 6/3 and depending on guitar it may be set very convincing. VOX AC15 is bigger sounding amp (box) indeed but I carry Laney in one hand, pedal board on shoulder strap, and guitar in other hand. Priceless.