The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Hi - Does anyone own one of these yet? I played one last week at a music store and really liked it. Sounded a tad thinner than the Eastman El Rey but still, it seems like a nice nice guitar.

I own the AR503CE and she plays very nicely. It's the fretboard size that fits my hand perfectly hence looking at the 185. I have an Epiphone Joe pass and the stock neck pickup is perfect. I loved the fretboard size until I played the 503. Sometimes I dream of changing the pickup to something with a slightly more deeper growl (or switching theJoe Pass pick up into the 503) but I'll leave it for now and see if I can tweak the sound through electronics or maybe own a 2nd one and tweak that.

Any feedback on the Eastman T185MX other than the reviews I have read and the videos I've seen on youtube?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Eastman T185MX - 15" thin line body semi hollow guitar-eastman-t185mx-cs-jpg
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 07-31-2014 at 01:59 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got a 186mx which had the more recent Kent Armstrong designed (read MIK or MIC), I was looking for one with a flame maple top and came across this white one for a really silly good price. I hunted around and got used SD 59 for the neck and an old Ibanez Super 58 for the bridge. LOVE IT !!

The thing about the 184, 185 and 186s is what pickups Eastman was putting in them. At first it was the two row of
    pole pieces designed by KA, then the one row of pole pieces showing designed by KA, then Duncan '59 and also Duncan Seth Lovers. I don't know which year was which but Eastman got smart and started using made in America Duncans almost exclusively. They're really great guitars and with some adjustment of the tone at the guitar or amp can really give you tones all over the jazz, rock, blues, gospel map. I've also got an Ibanez AS103bm (limited release guitar) that has Gibson Classic 57's in it and between those two babies I have the semi world covered...

If you have not purchased keep looking, there are some great deals out there to be had, it's a buyers market for now that is for sure. Buddy of mine has a really very sweet T185mx with the blonde flame maple top and Duncan '59s in it. He's got GAS real bad and keeps buying other guitars. I'll check and see if he's still trying to sell it. Here's a pic...

Eastman T185MX - 15" thin line body semi hollow guitar-t185mxa-jpg

User Info Menu

Incurable GAS at that! ... lol...

Eastman T185MX Semi-hollow guitar Near Mint Cond *LOOK*

Here's a link to the 185 I am selling....

There is an interested buyer in the canary islands that is waiting on me to work through the details of shipping via usps. No commitment on my side yet, but as they say, cash is king...

If you like it like it.. great. . step up to the plate, this gal is a beaut! and sounds awesome with the Duncans
    I already have a few too many guitars of the same basic genre and this one outshines them all by miles.

I don't expect it to be on the block past tomorrow or the weekend. ( not a sales pitch, just being honest )

Quote Originally Posted by hockeydad154
    Incurable GAS at that! ... lol...

Eastman T185MX Semi-hollow guitar Near Mint Cond *LOOK*

Here's a link to the 185 I am selling....

There is an interested buyer in the canary islands that is waiting on me to work through the details of shipping via usps. No commitment on my side yet, but as they say, cash is king...

If you like it like it.. great. . step up to the plate, this gal is a beaut! and sounds awesome with the Duncans
    I already have a few too many guitars of the same basic genre and this one outshines them all by miles.

I don't expect it to be on the block past tomorrow or the weekend. ( not a sales pitch, just being honest )

GAS? What a HOOT! I am dying here. You have no idea of the guilt I have WRESTLED with myself over a condition that I now know to be -- GAS!!! Hilarious.

On a serious note. I would have stepped up to the plate but I must pass on this for these two reasons:

1: I was told by the very nice saleswoman at the Guitar store that carries these [Please don't call me fickle] that the Eastman headstock has changed and so the particular model she's trying to pawn on me has been discounted as a B-STOCK whatever that means. Your headstock looks like the newer headstock with the "arched" Eastman logo. The one she's trying to sell me has the straight EASTMAN logo. Just like my AR503CE archtop. She also offered over the phone that she was "motivated" to sell it. (I played it over the weekend and called the next day to negotiate). The guy gave me a price of 1500+ so I called the next day knowing that she would be there.

Right now the price is $1300 BUT she would accept a $1250 (walk out of store price). Now that you tell me it's a "seller's market", me thinks I can massage her into lowering the price even more. She did joke when she asked me how much I wanted it for - "free or name your price". A sense of humor too, she has!

2: I have a 29 year old Sheraton (Epiphone by Gibson) and she is almost the same color as this beauty of yours. I also have an Epiphone Joe Pass that is the same color. Color me fickle, but I think I have to visually diversify my collection. (Oh boy do I sound fickle)!!

I'm assuming you're buddies with BIGMikeinNJ to whom I say thanks for suggesting this gorgeous guitar of yours!!

Speaking of GAS:
    The GAS Gallery

PS: All the best with your sale. Someone is going to love her!
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 07-31-2014 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

West LA Jazz

Nice gear, your selection of guitars is not shabby at all.
    But your collection of amps is truly lacking in number. You need to go out and buy a bunch of Blackface Fender amps, not reissues. Do it now, we will hide them for you in our garages. (now you know why Steve and I are tight, we're both unabashed enablers... LOL)

MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    West LA Jazz

Nice gear, your selection of guitars is not shabby at all.
    But your collection of amps is truly lacking in number. You need to go out and buy a bunch of Blackface Fender amps, not reissues. Do it now, we will hide them for you in our garages. (now you know why Steve and I are tight, we're both unabashed enablers... LOL)

MIKE
    I almost choked on my mouthful of Trisket minis! If this was AA you would be banished for all time!!!

I am actually considering getting the Roland G-212. A guy on here uses two of them. I screwed up and passed on some restocks that cost $349 at musicians friend.

I have to tell myself to be satisfied with the Cube 80XL and the Jazz Chorus 120 I have now.
    I gave away a Peavey Vyper modeling amp to a friend of Phish who's wife "allows" him to go and see Phish concerts and then gives him hell when he returns from said shows.

I am beseeching myself to walk away from the Eastman. I was looking at the Ibanez AS153 until I saw the T186MX!

I also have a Michael Kelly Hybrid Sunburst. I had a guitar playing electrician who owns a Yamaha AEX502 go gaga over it. But it's a very moderately priced guitar. And then there is the Martin GPCPA4. I'll stop there.

That being said, I would take you up on your garage offer but I have decided to hang up all my guitars so I can remember why I bought them!!

Heaven help us all.

PS: Coming to think of it, I have gotten rid of ...

a Les Paul (older model) - **he slaps himself in the face**
    Ibanez AS93 (older model)
    Gibson SG
    Ovation (slim body)..........

User Info Menu

Up until yesterday I had an Eastman t186mx. It was a really great guitar and I got a lot of mileage out of it. Only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the super skinny neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    Up until yesterday I had an Eastman t186mx. It was a really great guitar and I got a lot of mileage out of it. Only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the super skinny neck.
    Gibsons, the new Ibanezes and Epiphones certainly feel skinnier in my hands. Ibanez and gibsons are smaller at the nut. And I also play an Eastman AR503CE. It has the same dimension at the nut as the T186MX.

I might have to take my 503 to the store for an AB test. I know my hands cramp up when I play an Epi Sheraton after logging miles on the 503.

T186MX Thinline Electric (1.3/4" = 44mm)

Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR - AS153 Artstar | Ibanez guitars
    (43mm)

PS: But you might be helping me cure my GAS syndrome. THanks!! ;-)
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 08-01-2014 at 07:30 AM.

User Info Menu

It's almost wrong calling the T18_ Series semi hollow, most people immediately assume it has the full block going from the bottom of the guitar to the neck. The T18_ guitars have a 2 x 3 inch block that is under the bridge and tailpiece only so you're getting more of an acoustic/hollow body sound than say your traditional semi hollow...
    I sure like mine. There's a couple of really nice T186s on eBay, one with fantastic woods and inlays. But if you're looking at bottom line prices then they wouldn't be in your range. The fit and finish on these instruments (the Ibanez and Eastmans) is something to behold. Ibanez gave the Chinese factories samples of what they wanted (saw this also with the AS103bm and sm models) and they surely pulled it off. Kudos.

It's almost wrong calling the T18_ Series semi hollow, most people immediately assume it has the full block going from the bottom of the guitar to the neck. The T18_ guitars have a 2 x 3 inch block that is under the bridge and tailpiece only so you're getting more of an acoustic/hollow body sound than say your traditional semi hollow...
    I sure like mine. There's a couple of really nice T186s on eBay, one with fantastic woods and inlays. But if you're looking at bottom line prices then they wouldn't be in your range. The fit and finish on these instruments (the Ibanez and Eastmans) is something to behold. Ibanez gave the Chinese factories samples of what they wanted (saw this also with the AS103bm and sm models) and they surely pulled it off. Kudos.
    I didn't know the new Ibanez guitars are now produced in China.

And I did not know that the block DID NOT extend throughout the body of the guitar. Very interesting!
    I'm going back to the store to check that again.

The finishes of some of these Artstar line guitars are something to behold indeed! I first saw the IBANEZ AM153 at a local guitar center last year and was shocked at how good the finish vs the price was. The fretboard and headstock trimming was something else: Ebony fretboard, Gold headstock trimmings, dark sunburst and just a solid solid guitar to hold and feel - probably approaching the craftsmanship of the guitars Scofield, Benson and Metheny endorse and play.

Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR - AM153 Artstar | Ibanez guitars

I am torn between the Ibanez AS153 and the Eastman T185MX. Really torn. The Ibanez believe it or not is cheaper but if the T185MX is a real hollow body I see why that is. I love the length of the T185MX. I actually go to Sam Ash music store to play the Ibanez AS153 regularly to try to convince myself I don't have to have it! But like I said, the Eastman has a slightly wider fretboard that I have now gotten used to thanks to the AR503CE hollow body.

Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR - AS153 Artstar | Ibanez guitars
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 08-01-2014 at 11:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I have an AM153 and the T185... they are far more comparable to each other than to the AS153 in size.
    The T185 is vastly superior to the AM153 in my opinion. It is lighter, solid hand carved woods, way more resonant, ridiculous more detail, it has SD 59's which sound wayyyy better than any of the super58C's that are hanging on my walls. Make no mistake though, I really like my AM153 a ton but in every way the T185 outclasses it.Eastman T185MX - 15" thin line body semi hollow guitar-1-20140716_200649-jpg

My cheapo Alvarez acoustic / AM153BLG / T185MX

DOOD! You have two of my geetars hanging on your wall maaan!! Ha. Hey great looking line up. I'm not a dreadnaught guy like you are though. I have to have a cutaway but Alvarezes will get you there just fine thank you!
    I went to Sam Ash Music to check out the Ibanez AS153 again. I am convinced I like the T185 better. I need to go to the Eastman store to cop one more feel of her to make absolutely certain!

NICE WALL!!! Keep it up.

PS: BTW, I have an old Sheraton Epi 1 that is fitted with two Seymour Duncan SH1 and 2 (for bridge.. I think it's a 2) and boy the sound is legit. I need to convince myself to stay true to her. ;-)

I have an AM153 and the T185... they are far more comparable to each other than to the AS153 in size.
    The T185 is vastly superior to the AM153 in my opinion. It is lighter, solid hand carved woods, way more resonant, ridiculous more detail, it has SD 59's which sound wayyyy better than any of the super58C's that are hanging on my walls. Make no mistake though, I really like my AM153 a ton but in every way the T185 outclasses it.Eastman T185MX - 15" thin line body semi hollow guitar-1-20140716_200649-jpg

My cheapo Alvarez acoustic / AM153BLG / T185MX
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 08-01-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Gibson 390 (with P90s) on left | Ibanez AS153 on right.

Attachment 13611
    Duane Allman would LOVE the 390. Higher register sounding sound.
    The AS153 can rival any arch top in mellow sound. And then it can go "higher" register also (excuse the sizing if it appears small on your end).

User Info Menu

Don't forget the difference in finish. Ibanez dippes its guitars in liquid plastic, at least that's what they feel like, Eastman uses thin nitrocellulose. A night and day difference. At least it was that way a few years ago when I bought my AK105 and AR910. Could be different with todays models but I don't think so.

User Info Menu

Drifter is correct: Ibanez uses a heavy finish that almost seems dipped whereas Eastman does a french polish/stain and then shoots two very thin coats of lacquer and then buffs most of it out. The Eastmans delicate finish adds to the breathiness of their tone. You have to be very careful handing an Eastman though because that finish is delicate. Quite the contrast to an Ibanez that you could crack walnuts with.

User Info Menu

I agree with Drifter and Bigmike too... owning both, I can definitely feel a huge difference between the two finishes.
    I've been window shopping for Eastmans for a while now (something in the 800/805/810 neighborhood) and the stories I've heard and read about the Eastmans being fragile (finish coating) are widespread... However, if you are going to spend the bucks for a quality instrument, doesn't it make sense that one would treat it as such... and oh, say, NOT put in your attic for a couple years?????? (found an immaculate AR805CE on c.l. for $600 plus shipping!, owner writes back.. um, I need to take it to the luthier; it suffered storage problems...) How does that saying go?, you can't fix stupid? sorry, I digress.. I love the thin finish on the Easties

Quite the contrast to an Ibanez that you could crack walnuts with.
    HIILARIOUS!!!

PS: I've seen the Scofield handles his guitar. He's like a blue collar workman slinging it over his shoulder.

Speaking of thin Eastman coatings:

I walked into a wall the first day I received my Eastman AR503Ce. Small Chip, damn!
    I took it to mean that the guitar was telling me…. "you will NEVER sell me…EVERRRR"!!!

Regarding GAS (GUITAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME as opposed to GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME)

Jesse Johnson is a blues funk guitarist who worked with Prince during the latter's most creative period.

I stumbled on a post where he rationalizes why he has never and will never have GAS.

Here is his reasoning against GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome)

https://www.facebook.com/JesseJohnso...?stream_ref=10
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 08-06-2014 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey West, did you get that 185?

Hey West, did you get that 185?
    I'm going there tonight to see if I can resist. I measured the the fretboard of my AR503CE to see if the fretboards are close. The official specs say they are but I want to feel her up one more time.

That being said, I am looking for a reason to be "sensible" and not buy it but GAWWWWD DASH IT!

I WANT TO, REAL BAD!!! They've given me a walk out the door price so she's mine if I plunk down the CC.

LOL

PS: I'll keep you posted!

User Info Menu

Hi West, what is the out-the-door price they came to on that 185 B-stock?

Hi West, what is the out-the-door price they came to on that 185 B-stock?
    1250 flat. What do you think?

The sales person did joke about what other price would do it (for me) other than "free". HA

User Info Menu

Pretty decent price for the guitar... The ''B'' stock issue probably has no impact on tone or playability. Moreover it might have an impact on the investment but again that's rather subjective. Typically, B's reflect a blemish or something not quite up to spec in the production. As they say, it should be more about how it sounds and feels to you. The guy in the Canary Islands back out of his deal on mine. I would consider coming down to a 1250 number on mine plus actual shipping but that's about as far down as I could go on it.

Tempting, tempting on yours pal!

PS:

In this case The "B Stock" designation is because the logo is the old curved logo.

From what I'm told the new EASTMAN logo has no curve (or vice versa)? I need to go back and check.

Either way it's not a blemish but an old logo deal where the newer guitars sport the new logo.