The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

I would like some learned opinions on whether I should put a strap button on the neck end of my 175.I play standing and tieing the strap to the headstock is really becoming a nuisance.And I've read some articles about placement of said strap button.Some players warn that putting it in the wrong position causes your guitar to feel like it's pitching forward.All feedback is welcome.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Drives me nuts when guitars don't have buttons. I had a button installed on the heel of the neck on my 175 - no issues at all.

User Info Menu

Me too. I even had one installed on my Martin 000-28 ... at position 5 as described here:
    http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0...&xst=3&xsr=262.

User Info Menu

Great info.Thanks guys.Position 5 looks like a winner.

Mine has it in the 1 position. But the guitar does tilt forward a bit.
    Could you put it in the 3 position on a 175?
    Otherwise 5?

User Info Menu

I've tried using a strap on my Eastman 403 (position 2 above), but it pitches the guitar forward and I can't see the fretboard, so I solved the problem by always playing seated

User Info Menu

I wonder how much difference the #2 position would be from the #1.

User Info Menu

Is yours centered on the neck heel and how does the guitar feel when standing?Does it feel like it's pitching forward and if so is it uncomfortable or inconvenient.

For me, the tilt forward is not uncomfortable. Just an inconvenience. I do like to stand when I'm playing out. I have to wear reading glasses now to read the charts and need some amount of light on the neck. So the tilt is just a bit of a hassle.

User Info Menu

I have position 2 on an ES-225 an it's fine, but it's a thin line. Not sure how the balance would be with a full depth guitar.

I have #3 on an L-4C, basically the same as an ES-175, and also on a Godin 5th Ave. It would not have been my first choice before I had these, but I must say that it is a comfortable position and the balance if good.

My favourite spot is #5 though and it has always been.

For the last couple years, I almost exclusively play sitting down, and I use a strap less and less since I've also started using a foot stool.

User Info Menu

Putting a drill to my 175 anywhere is worrisome,so I'll have it done by a professional.All your suggestions have been very helpful.Tough decision.I think you can use the #3 on a 175,but I would have to have confirmation from someone more knowledgeable than me.When you look in the soundhole with a flashlight.it looks like there's plenty of wood there.

User Info Menu

Mine is position 4, FWIW

User Info Menu

I've searched for pics of Steve Howe,and it appears that his is in the #4 position also.Does it feel comfortable when you're standing?

User Info Menu

Yes - I really don't notice it. Mine happens to be the Steve Howe model 175

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluemusic4us
    Mine has it in the 1 position. But the guitar does tilt forward a bit.
    Could you put it in the 3 position on a 175?
    Otherwise 5?

I read it on the Internet and did my guitar up like that......yup, all 5 positions. Now I am fully covered.

User Info Menu

I don't like strap buttons and have no use for them.

A pianist or an organ player plays sitting down. A drummer plays sitting down. Why should a jazz guitarist not play sitting down, just like his classical counterpart? The only person who should be standing is the double-bassist or saxophonist, for obvious reasons. Be heard, not seen. I wish more guitarists would just sit down and stop upstaging his mates in the band.

Eschew straps and strap buttons. Sit down and play.

OK, haven't had my meds. Sorry, fellas.

User Info Menu

I think Joe Pass & Lenny Breau both played sitting down with a strap. I think It had to do with maintaining a certain angle of the neck.

User Info Menu

I'm not a jazz player.When I can no longer stand and play I'll retire.I play sitting down at home.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    I think Joe Pass & Lenny Breau both played sitting down with a strap. I think It had to do with maintaining a certain angle of the neck.
    So did Wes Montgomery and Grant Green. They both attached the strap around the headstock though. I like it for playing sitting down, but if I have to play standing up, the strap needs to be near the heel (for me).

User Info Menu

Folks, I generally gig with my 175, and sometimes I'm standing, sometimes I'm Sat...to be honest, I'd rather be sat!.but in some scenarios standing is more apt. I'd like to be able to use a strap with my L5 but it's kind of precious to me and I'm being a total wuss by even asking this.. but should I fit a strap button on my L5? If so where??.. my instinct is on the heel cap. I don't plan to sell it...so I theory it shouldn't matter.
    Help me out fellas😊

User Info Menu

IMO . . . put a strap button on the L5 at the heel cap. It won't devalue the guitar at all. Also, even if you do prefer to be seated (sat??? . . ain't never hear that one before) . . . try putting a strap on while you're seated also. It provides a sense of security and when position correctly helps to prevent the guitar from *walking*.

User Info Menu

You will need to drill the plastic heel cap first just a tad bigger than the wood screw or the plastic could crack when you screw in the wood screw. Also use a felt washer for the strap button.

User Info Menu

No strap button on a L-5, please. The pianist/organist plays seated as does the drummer. They should learn to make room for the guitarist too.

Put on a strap if you are playing in a mariachi. Remember to pack a sombrero.

User Info Menu

When you really can't decide...
    Strap button on my Gibson  ES-175-45u-1739_heel_sm_-jpg