The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a Gibson L-5 CES and I strung her with thomastik Infeld swing flatwound 013-053: great strings for this guitar.
    (I didn't like those strings on my previous guitar, a gibson 175)
    TI swing flatwound are very long lasting and I'm ok with them even if I pay 14,00 eur each set.
    I'm wondering if somebody has compared the swing 013 with the thomastick george benson 013 which cost 24 eur each set.
    I'm not a pro but I'm curious to give them a try...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca
    I recently purchased a Gibson L-5 CES and I strung her with thomastik Infeld swing flatwound 013-053: great strings for this guitar.
    TI swing flatwound are very long lasting and I'm ok with them even if I pay 14,00 eur each set.
    I'm wondering if somebody has compared the swing 013 with the thomastick george benson 013 which cost 24 eur each set.
    Vast difference in my opinion.
    Swings are a match made in heaven for an L5 and after trying many different brands I have personally stopped searching.

The differences between Swing and Benson:
    Bensons go dull very quickly. Personal taste will determine if that troubles you or not.
    Swing are very bright at first and then mellow a little but never go "thud" like the Benson's eventually will. They stay a little lively.
    Benson's are silky smooth.
    Swing's are ever so slightly rougher...but still very flat wound.
    You can just see the wind on the Swing's whereas you can barely see it on Benson's.

The big difference and game changer for me was the way my L5 responded to the Swing's.
    My guitars sounds 2" deeper. I can now hear a lot more body tone when I play chords and single note playing is alive with a more acoustic sound.

Sounds crazy?
    Ok I am a fickle string changing maniac but I've been around guitars for long enough to know that the 2 things that will bring about the greatest change in tone are strings and plectrums.

I have tried these strings on my L5 so far…
    Labella
    D'addario Chromes, Half Rounds
    GHS Brite Flats
    Thomastic Benson, Thomastik Be Bop, Thomastik Swing

All the above in the last 6 months.

I'm stopping at the Swings and have just ordered a box. The difference wasn't subtle, it was a happy moment.

It's a very "personal taste" thing though. We all search for what we want to hear. This is the closest I have got to that. It may not be the tone that others seek.

I also swap out the 1st and 2nd string to D'addario .014 and .018 no matter what brand of string I'm using.

User Info Menu

I'm using the Benson 114's on my new/old L5. They sound terrific. I don't like round wound strings because I am sensitive to finger noise and flats remove my fingertips from any sound equation. I also think the amp you use makes a huge difference in how certain strings sound on which guitar. My Fender Princeton Reverb is my best sounding "Jazz" amp of the moment.

I've reviewed several of the TI strings in my search for the right sound for my playing style and solidly settled on the Bensons:

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBop 12-50 Guitar Strings Review | Boles Blues

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 13-53 Flat Wound Guitar Strings Review | Boles Blues

The George Benson GB114 Thomastik-Infeld Nickel Flat Wound Jazz Strings Review | Boles Blues

User Info Menu

I have 2 guitars w Swings and 1 with Bensons and I prefer the Bensons. The Swings are a little brighter and may last a little longer. They also sound almost as good to my ears, but as I can afford it I'm switching to Benson's for all. That rich darker tone is worth it to me and I love the feel but try both if you can.

User Info Menu

Just for fun, has anyone contacted T-I and asked them what exactly are the differences (besides the gauge mix) between Swing flats and GB flats?

User Info Menu

I used Swing and Benson.
    I prefer for my style of playing Swing 13 .
    I used it with my guitar: hollow-body with floating pick up.

User Info Menu

I prefer Swing 13s on my 175, BeBop 11s on my Heritage 535 and Les Paul.

TIs are incredible strings.

User Info Menu

Agreed about the TIs, great strings. I used to use Swings but once I tried their roundwound Bebops I found I liked them better. There's more harmonic information and the slight rasp from the pick on the string winds sounds kind of "woody" and organic thru an amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Just for fun, has anyone contacted T-I and asked them what exactly are the differences (besides the gauge mix) between Swing flats and GB flats?
    No, but I did read a description somewhere about the core being different somehow. Mind you that could have been just a blurb for advertising.

But they look very different......and I don't mean just the colour of the end wrap. The strings are more of a chrome colour and you can see the winding a bit more.
    They sure sound different.

Here is the blurb from the Strings and Beyond site…

"The undisputed king of flatwounds, Mellow timbre, Thomastik-Infeld Swing Series Acoustic/Electric Jazz Guitar Strings lay down jazz tunes like a true heavyweight powerhouse!

"It has the perfect balance of fundamental to overtones required for traditional jazz. Some players claim that its mellow, powerful tones actually improve with age!" - Thomastik-Infeld

Thomastik-Infeld Swing Series Acoustic/Electric Jazz Guitar Strings offer mellow timbre, yet powerful tonation with a super smooth true flatwound feel resulting from the polished nickel wrap wire around a round core. This legend of jazz guitar strings was designed specifically for semi acoustic and acoustic jazz guitars.

Gauge:
    JS110 Extra Light 10 14 18w 23 33 44
    JS111 Light 11 15 19 25 35 47
    JS112 Medium Light 12 16 20 27 37 50
    JS113 Medium 13 17 21 28 39 53

What makes Thomastik-Infeld different?
    Pursuing the perfect sound, Thomastik-Infeld starts with steel and nylon as core materials for their strings. The highly qualified technicians then wind and check every string by hand in order to insure quality and perfect tone. Infeld and his staff continually pursue the ever changing musical world, applying the evolving preferences in timbre, technique, and playing to their own imagination in pursuit of delivering perfection.

For a jazz string with an edgier tone, check out our Thomastik Jazz BeBop Round Wound Acoustic/Electric Jazz Guitar Strings! "

.....end of over excited Cheerleader blurb.

User Info Menu

I like stiff, high tension string like DAddario are the Swing string higher tension than the Benson's. I'd like to try the TI's but hear they are a soft string.

User Info Menu

soft but you have to try...
    I like also hard tension...

User Info Menu

Are the Benson .014-.055 the heaviest gauge flat wounds TI makes?

User Info Menu

I think so..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I think so..
    I think so too -- but there might be something else lurking out there from TI that's flat wound and heavier.

I play fingerstyle, so I like the heaviest strings possible so I can really grab on and pluck. No fingernails. Just the tips of my fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boles
    I think so too -- but there might be something else lurking out there from TI that's flat wound and heavier.

I play fingerstyle, so I like the heaviest strings possible so I can really grab on and pluck. No fingernails. Just the tips of my fingers.
    David, any heavier and you'll have to change over to bass tuning machines to string them Didn't you have to ream out the E2 tuning machine on your L-5CES?

Love your blog, by the way.

User Info Menu

D'addario chrom are heavier!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    David, any heavier and you'll have to change over to bass tuning machines to string them Didn't you have to ream out the E2 tuning machine on your L-5CES?

Love your blog, by the way.
    That's an excellent question on E2 reaming. You're right that a .055 string tests that machine hole. Of all my guitars -- Yes, I use the GB114s on my Strats and Telecasters, too -- the only peg that gives me any trouble at all on stringing up the E2 is my '57 LP VOS. It does not like the last few blue silk winds before it becomes the active string.

I don't touch the E2 hole, I just put a 90-degree bend in the .055 string right after the cloth end to bind the winding to the core and then I cut off the silk end. Then I push the bent end through the E2 hole and string it up. I'm left with a sort of short end to wrap over and lock -- it feels like wrangling a stubby, but really floppy worm -- but you don't need more than a winding or two on that string because the peg can't take too many winds.

One great thing about using these thick strings, the B, at .041 is heavy like baling wire -- is that you don't need a lot of winds and the strings don't slip. When I used 9s and 10s on my Strats, the strings would slip even with five or six windings on the highest strings. Heavy TIs fix that problem across the board.

Thanks for the kind word on Boles Blues blog. All 14 blogs are advertising free. We aren't trying to sell anybody anything. We're just doing our best to record the truth as we know it.

User Info Menu

D'addario chrom are heavier!!!!!!
    I've reviewed a lot of D'Addario strings and, for short-term use, they're okay -- but in my experience they lose their responsiveness and brightness rather quickly. If you're re-stringing weekly, then they're fine.

The reason I like TI strings is that they last forever and don't lose their tone.

This morning I took delivery of a whole bunch of GB114s and I strung them up on my two Les Pauls. The last time I changed the GB114s on those two guitars was in December. Sure, the new strings were livelier and more dynamic, but I could have left them on even longer and still been satisfied with the sound.

User Info Menu

just for curiousity: what do you mean with "last forever"? 2/3 mounths?
    I play 2/3 hours each day: do you believe I can keep them for 3 mounths?

User Info Menu

just for curiousity: what do you mean with "last forever"? 2/3 mounths?
    I play 2/3 hours each day: do you believe I can keep them for 3 mounths?
    In my experience, the TI strings lasting 5/6 months is "forever" -- compared with other brands I've used. The TIs also hold in tune longer and more reliably that other strings I've played, and the TIs seem to help the guitar stay set up better when the seasons change.

User Info Menu

-- but there might be something else lurking out there from TI that's flat wound and heavier.

La Bella 20PH are flatwound and heavier (.015 - .056). But they are stainless steel and not nickel like TI. I haven't tried them (yet) so I can't tell how they are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    La Bella 20PH are flatwound and heavier (.015 - .056). But they are stainless steel and not nickel like TI. I haven't tried them (yet) so I can't tell how they are.
    I really like the "flurpiness" of nickel strings. An early playing favorite of mine were Ernie Ball Rock 'N Roll Super Slinkys. Now, that was a classic 70's Rock sounding string!

User Info Menu

soft but you have to try...
    I like also hard tension...
    I'm aware that English is not your first language, but I'd be very interested to read more details/impressions on this.

I recently had a 13, 17, 24, 32, 42, 56 set on my hollow body and eventually went back to a more "traditional" 13, 17, 26, 36, 46, 56 set. The tension of this latter set is by no means balanced, but it just feels right in my hands.

I actually tend to pick and fret more accurately with "hard" tension, as you say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I bought a couple of sets of those. They are floppy like the TI's and dead from the moment you put them on.
    At first I loved them because they felt SO great.......but then everything was so dark sounding. I know a lot of players like that.
    Man they are DEAD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    I bought a couple of sets of those. They are floppy like the TI's and dead from the moment you put them on.
    At first I loved them because they felt SO great.......but then everything was so dark sounding. I know a lot of players like that.
    Man they are DEAD!
    Did you string them up (the Labella 20PH) on your Gibson ES-775? They may not like the 24.75" scale.