The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Did you string them up (the Labella 20PH) on your Gibson ES-775? They may not like the 24.75" scale.
    No I put them on the L5. I have to say that I really liked them for a couple of days. The gauges are well suited to me (once I'd replaced the 1st and 2nd).

But what I was searching for was at least some life for chords. I can handle the dark sound for single notes no problems.

The Swings do both. A little zing for chords and a lot of bounce for single notes.

Today I got my L5 back from the tech and it now has a Biltoft P90 in it.
    I made him leave the old set of strings on because I had that sound burned into my brain. I knew as soon as I plugged it in that I would be using this Pup for a while.

At this point I think I have eradicated my nasal midrange problem.
    By removing the treble cap from the Deluxe Reverb and changing out the speaker for a Eminence Cannabis Rex I have removed the booming bass and upper mids.

I can't wait to start recording this guitar now.
    I said to my Tech, "you know I'll be back next Friday so you can put the original Pup back in"
    He said "I don't think so" and at this point he's right.

Does look different though. I'm amazed at how, just having the pole pieces in the centre of the Pup has changed the "face" of the guitar.

It will take some time to get used to it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca
    just for curiousity: what do you mean with "last forever"? 2/3 mounths?
    I play 2/3 hours each day: do you believe I can keep them for 3 mounths?
    When I had TI they did not last much longer than DAs to tell you the truth... But I play at least 6 / 8 hours a day and a lot on band contexts where you sweat more. One thing I learned is to change only the plain steel strings (the first two). I do this every week... my sweat just kills them. The oher four strings can least something like 6 monhts or more (I am using John Pearse rounds which last more than TIs in my experience). So I just buy a lot of extra DAs plain steel for the first two strings and save a lot of money in strings.

User Info Menu

I prefer the
    JS113 Medium 13 17 21 28 39 53
    With my Gibson ES-175

TI GB come in 012 and 014 gauge. My experience with the flatwound version is quite controversy: I had to realize that the low e- and d-string have a very different sound compared to the a- and wound g-string. They sound more metallic, dull, somehow dead. The a- and g-string instead have a wonderful warm, lively, well defined bassy character.
    So the consequence is that I won't use the flatwounds anymore. The round wounds are great.
    By the way: I'm still waiting for an answer from TI regarding the flatwounds.

User Info Menu

I've switch to the JS112 Swing.012

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Just for fun, has anyone contacted T-I and asked them what exactly are the differences (besides the gauge mix) between Swing flats and GB flats?
    Or - - a similar question - : " How do you determine the gauges in your sets ? "

I'd use JS's on all my archtops if their gauges matched Chromes -- or were even close, but they're not. They insist on thinner 3& 4th strings - -or if you go up to a 13 set you're stuck with a .53 low E.

I just think the overall action suffers a little, because you have to compensate for those thinner middle strings.

Or, ???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca
    I recently purchased a Gibson L-5 CES and I strung her with thomastik Infeld swing flatwound 013-053: great strings for this guitar.
    (I didn't like those strings on my previous guitar, a gibson 175)
    TI swing flatwound are very long lasting and I'm ok with them even if I pay 14,00 eur each set.
    I'm wondering if somebody has compared the swing 013 with the thomastick george benson 013 which cost 24 eur each set.
    I'm not a pro but I'm curious to give them a try...
    I've been using Swings .013-.053 on my 2015 Gibson Historic 1959 ES-175D VOS, with the original MHS pickups, and I've always been curious to know the difference between the Swing and the George Benson.
    The post was very instructive.
    I thought the strings were the same and Benson had just handled the gauges.
    But why do not you like the Swings in your 175?

User Info Menu

My 2 cents after trying both. I definitely found out I'm not a Flat wound string guy! I do like the George Benson Rounds for sure!

But after spending the money on them, I find I'd rather go with cheaper brands an d change them more often.

User Info Menu

I'm still yet to try the George Benson flats but the cost of them puts me off.
    When I use flats I use the JS 12-50 or 13/53 sets; they're my favourite flat wound. I have tried the D'Addarios but didn't like the feel or tone.

If I'm not using the Thomastik flats, I use John Pearse 'archtop' pure nickel roundwounds. They have a round core like the Thomastiks. Best round wound string I've used.

User Info Menu

I use Jazz Swing 13-53 on my Heritage Super Eagle and Memphis EL300/PE-180. I use George Benson 12-53 on my Unity 100th Anniversary. It was Pleked with the Benson strings.

Both sets are tremendous. The Swings excel on the thick chordal sounds. The Bensons have clear mountain air trebles. This may be the Unity though. I'm unwilling to try Swings on it to find out. As it is, it's the most beautiful sounding guitar I have ever played.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE

If I'm not using the Thomastik flats, I use John Pearse 'archtop' pure nickel roundwounds. They have a round core like the Thomastiks. Best round wound string I've used.[/QUOTE]

Any problem with "string noise" with these round wound strings? Thanks!