The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 115

User Info Menu

I'm not suprised that not a lot of people here use effects or have effects in their rigs being that this is a jazz forum. I am in the thinking that most jazz guitar players pretty much play straight into their amps with nothing in between. Now if you ask the same question in a forum filled with rock guitar players obviously you'll get more responses. Even in some of the posts in here by people who don't just play jazz, you'll notice they have a jazz rig and a rock rig. Myself, I have tons of pedals none of which get used in my new band where I pretty much play clean. Now if I'm with my other band, which is a rock band, I carry a pedalboard containing at least 10 pedals.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Derek,

how do you like the jazzkat? have you tried any other of the newer jazz guitar amps like Henrickson, AI or AER?
    John,

I have a good buddy who plays thru an AI/RE set up, and that is probably the industry standard. I didn't want to spend that much $, so after shopping around, I got the JazzKat for $550 from a guy who was closing them out on ebay. I love it. Plenty powerful enough to play with drums, light at 23lbs, sounds good.

I will put my ES175 in the gigbag, grab the JazzKat and guitar stand and do my Friday solo gig. Easy as can be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frisellfan19
    It's interesting to read everyone's guitar setups. I guess my follow-up question would be how much of the equipment do you own actually gets used?

For my own setup, I use it all at some point in time. I do not use any Lexicon MPX-110 other than the Hall reverb. The Lexicon also where I split the signal to two amps.
    I use all of my stuff pretty regularly. I do a weekly solo jazz gig, and play rock/pop at least 2x per month. I have pretty much cleared out all my stuff that was just laying around. I also have a Fender ss amp in my front room that I use for teaching. 2 inputs, dependable, cheap. I have never gigged with it, and wouldn't unless I was in a big bind.

I am considering either a silver face Fender Deluxe Reverb or one of many custom 5E3 tweed clones. The DR has enough clean headroom that you can use it for jazz too. The tweed, not so much.

User Info Menu

Yeah, The AI/RE is a lot of cake. I spent a lot on the BOse PS1 and later regreted it.

I wanted to check out that new AI corus but thats still expensive. The Henrickson looked reasonable and so did the JAzz Cat. I want something powerful but light. My Blues jr is not that heavy but lacks headroom.

But them I remember that I 'm not gigging like I used too and reality sets in

User Info Menu

Ibanez Artcore AF86 straight into a Roland Cube 60, no gadgets. (The best part about playing jazz).

For Rock I play bass.

User Info Menu

I use the basic effects of compression, delay, and reverb. Everything else is secondary and not important to me. I do like to have the tonal options though, because I go through different moods. Like Pat Martino said in an issue of Guitar Player magazine: "Effects are just complexions, shades that help you achieve musical expression."

That's all they are...nothing more. They help you creatively, of course, it can backfire and become too much of a good thing. That's why it's always good to find a balance.

User Info Menu

Hi, guess you could say I'm in my second childhood since I've retired (71 yrs young) and now spend lots of my time playing at home (used to gig in my 40;s) and like keeping up with technology along with great standard equipment;
    Guitars...Gibson es175 and es339,godin ACS w/synth access,PRS SE single cutaway,MIM strat HSS,Cordoba gypsy king model,requinto,cuatro (PR style)banjo,SX gypsy guitar,baby martin electric and assorted steel and nylons.
    Amps...Polytone mini-brute II,roland street cube,pignose 60r studio reverb,kustom acoustic amp, a '79 fender twin reverb and line 6jam amp. gear...digitech Lv4 vocal harmonizer,roland rg20 synthesizer,boss br1600cd studio and the micro BR,excelsior accordion and yamaha dg220 keyboard, bundy clarinet and various flutes, drums and scratchers.
    As you can see I spend a lot of time playing !

User Info Menu

[quote=John Curran;15307]Ibanez Artcore AF86 straight into a Roland Cube 60, no gadgets. (The best part about playing jazz).

Hey! That's the same rig I'm using! Almost.......the guitar is an Ibanez AK85, and I just picked up a Cube 60 on the 'bay'. I'll get it this week.

John, how do you like the 2 together? I already have a micro cube and the AK85 sounds great through it.

I too like the simle approach with jazz guitar. Amp, guitar, that's it. I use a little reverb or chorus, but like the drier sound. To me, it sounds like jazz!

For the blues band I'm also in I use a delay pedal, wah, and Ibanez tube screamer, through a Fender Blues Junior.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joseph vocht
    Hi, guess you could say I'm in my second childhood since I've retired (71 yrs young) and now spend lots of my time playing at home (used to gig in my 40;s) and like keeping up with technology along with great standard equipment;
    Guitars...Gibson es175 and es339,godin ACS w/synth access,PRS SE single cutaway,MIM strat HSS,Cordoba gypsy king model,requinto,cuatro (PR style)banjo,SX gypsy guitar,baby martin electric and assorted steel and nylons.
    Amps...Polytone mini-brute II,roland street cube,pignose 60r studio reverb,kustom acoustic amp, a '79 fender twin reverb and line 6jam amp. gear...digitech Lv4 vocal harmonizer,roland rg20 synthesizer,boss br1600cd studio and the micro BR,excelsior accordion and yamaha dg220 keyboard, bundy clarinet and various flutes, drums and scratchers.
    As you can see I spend a lot of time playing !
    You have the same birthday as me, Joseph!

Anyway, you have an impressive amount of equipment! I've been wanting to get one of those Roland GR-20 Guitar Synthesizers. I own a pretty old one. I have the GR-1. It's pretty good, but no way near as great as some of the newer ones that have come out since the GR-1.

How often do you use the GR-20? Do you enjoy it? What do you like/dislike about it?

User Info Menu

Hi, Well, I try to play with the roland at least once or twice a week. I like using the godin ACS with it more than the attachment since it tracks very well and I had played nylon stringed guitars for most of my 55+ playing years. I especially like to have the guitar sound slightly more than the synth because it has the effect of symphonic accompaniment. The piano and tenor sax sounds are to die for! Since I also love world music (for lack of a better term) the odd sounds are not foreign to me. When I used to gig I often played music from all over the world(part of my desire to use music to eliminate boundries) The only thing I dislike about it is the cable...you would think, in this day of coaxial cables , roland would have used a better input than the 13 pin one...its overly long and heavy.

User Info Menu

Currently:

Epiphone Joe Pass with Gibson pickups, Thomastik Swing 12's
    Epiphone Orville Electro-Acoustic, D'Addario strings

Vox Valvetronix 60, modelling amp with programmeable onboard effects
    or
    Ashdown G40R 40wt ss combo for rehearsals and small stuff. I may use a Boss CE chorus with that depending on the gig.

For Blues gigs, I have a 1991 Fender Strat Plus and a Gibson SG Melody Maker with a P90 instead of the stock p/u's, the latter being kept in open G for bottleneck. Both strung with D'Addario's.

User Info Menu

Ingeneri,

I go through phases. I've got a ton of stuff. But I like to dream.

I was thinking about checking out one of those AI Corus, and the Jazz Cat looked light. But then I have to think that I have three amps now. (actually it was 4 but I gave one to my brother in law).

The worst part is that I owned a poltone mini brute that I bought used back in 1988 for about $90. I sold it in 1992 to buy a JC-55 (smaller version of the JC120). I recently did a gig with the guy I sold it to. He uses it for bass. He still has it and it still sounds great. Man am I sorry that I sold it. That was a real nice amp, and cheap

How do you like that vestax D'A? They looked real sweet but were more than I wanted to spend.

User Info Menu

Hey John, I also own a couple of Vestax D'A's and I find them sort of hit and miss but I don't know in what proprtions they fall. I've got one in blonde that's absolutely fantastic. It's easy to play and it sounds really well acoustically. I did change the pickup to a DeArmond FHC type which really brings the sound out. I have another one in sunburst that is on the other end of the spectrum. I think it needs the frets leveled and acoustically it sounds cold and harsh. I've played it with the same DeArmond pickup and it hasn't got nearly the same warmness as the other one. I've tried to mess with it as much as I could but it just doesn't have what the other does. If you do find one somewhere, put it through its paces thoroughly so you don't get a lox(dead fish) like I did.

User Info Menu

Thanks. but remember, I'm very close to NYC so I know what lox are (and bagels, and taylor ham too )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    John,

I've been gigging regularly with a Jazzkat for about 18 months. I've been happy with this amp. It has a very nice warm and dark tone, can be very loud, and the portability can't be beat.

That said , the original 8" speaker model I have can sound a bit boxy. The new ones have been upgraded and are supposed to sound "bigger" despite being less watts. I'm planning on trading up to the 10" Tomkat that is 3 pounds lighter than the original Jazzkat, has a tube, and reportedly solves the boxiness issue. I just need to sell off some gear to free up the cash and floorspace first.

No effects, my guitars are a Vestax D'angelico New Yorker and a Heritage Super Eagle. I've got a Heritage 575 on the way from Ebay that I'm go to mod with Lollar P-90s.
    I agree about the JazzKat. I have the original Pizzarelli model, but for the $ and size/weight, I really don't think the tone is boxy enough to complain. I too have thought about the TomKat, but until the JazzKat craps out (if ever), I really can't justify a new amp right now.

If you get the TomKat, please post your impressions of it, I would love to hear what you think. I have yet to hear from anyone who owned the JazzKat and went to the TomKat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Thanks. but remember, I'm very close to NYC so I know what lox are (and bagels, and taylor ham too )
    Not to hijack this thread, but I LOVE TAYLOR HAM. I'm originally from Ozone Park in Queens, New York. Now I live in Shelbyville Kentucky. The pizza tastes like the cardboard box. Here, lox is what you secure your house with.

User Info Menu

My setup has changed a good bit since I last posted this thread.

I now use a Boss ME-50 Multi-effects processor. The only pedal I use is a Line 6 DL4 for short loops only. I still run a hall reverb setting on my Lexicon MPX-110. I'm really enjoying the Boss ME-50. It has all the effects I need. Before I was using a lot pedals to get one sound. Now, I have a ton of tones I can use.

I have always had some problems with hum and feedback when I turn on distortion so I have been thinking about expanding my rackmount gear with a Rocktron Hush Super C. Has anyone heard anything about these?

User Info Menu

Oh boy, this is my favorite topic!

I play two main guitars a Dale Unger (American Archtop) (Blonde) and a Fender D'Aquista (Custom Shop). Both are strung with D'Addario Flat Wound .13 Guage strings (Chromes XL).

I play through a Bogner 2x12 Open Cabinet, I was using a 1987 JC-120 forever and recently switched.

I just use the spring reverb on the Amp, if I am playing solo or as lead instrument then I use patch in a TC Electronic's G-Major for some Chorus.

Here is a picture...
    Last edited by durrow; 10-29-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: bad link

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by durrow
    Oh boy, this is my favorite topic!

I play two main guitars a Dale Unger (American Archtop) (Blonde) and a Fender D'Aquista (Custom Shop). Both are strung with D'Addario Flat Wound .13 Guage strings (Chromes XL).

I play through a Bogner 2x12 Open Cabinet, I was using a 1987 JC-120 forever and recently switched.

I just use the spring reverb on the Amp, if I am playing solo or as lead instrument then I use patch in a TC Electronic's G-Major for some Chorus.

Here is a picture...

I'm just curious why don't you just use the reverb on the G-Major, doesn't it have some good sounding reverbs? Not only that but, like my Lexicon unit, I know the G-Major is 24-bit and you can't beat the clarity a 24-bit reverb provides.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because the Lexicon unit I use has beautiful reverb on it and that's the only reason I use it, because I have never been happy with an amplifier's reverb.

Last edited by frisellfan19; 10-30-2008 at 04:05 AM.

User Info Menu

The G Major reverb is better is some ways:
    it's easier to control (midi controller, front facing knobs, patches, etc)
    it's sounds pretty darn good
    you can place it before or after certain things to make it sound really interesting

However, the Bogner reverb just sounds more natural to me. I feel like the Bogner reverb scales with volume and change based on presence control. Sometimes it behaves strangely and takes a bit to dial in but it's really comes from low and scoops up (I know I must sound crazy).

To me the Bogner gives me a more natural reverb.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up...the ME-50 is good and cheap. I still use mine all the time on Gigs when I don't want to haul the Furman down from my office. Then again I don't play many gigs anymore but that's supposed to change.

Now that I have the 225 my sound has changed and I think for the better. Of course that guitar is "in the shop" so I haven't really flushed out the nuances of the guitar and won't for months since it's so different from my 335.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    Thumbs up...the ME-50 is good and cheap. I still use mine all the time on Gigs when I don't want to haul the Furman down from my office. Then again I don't play many gigs anymore but that's supposed to change.

Now that I have the 225 my sound has changed and I think for the better. Of course that guitar is "in the shop" so I haven't really flushed out the nuances of the guitar and won't for months since it's so different from my 335.

This is crazy I'm pretty much the opposite when it comes to playing out live. I actually only bring a few pedals with me. I leave all of my rackmount gear and the ME-50 at home. I only really use those for recording.

When I play out live, I use a Morley volume pedal, TC Electronic Compressor, Boss DD-6 Digital Delay, and an the original 16-bit Alesis Microverb, which I still consider one of the best reverbs. Nothing can compare to Lexicon reverb in my opinion, but the Microverb is really clean and it's a half-rack unit, so it's really easy to carry around and I don't have to worry about breaking down my rackmount gear.

I also play small 25-watt amplfiers like the Jay Turser Classic 25RC, which is light and easy to carry around.
    Last edited by frisellfan19; 10-30-2008 at 10:28 PM.

User Info Menu

"turn it up and it doesn't need any reverb" --danny gatton

(i don't necessarily always agree with this, but i felt it'd be a fun quote to interject into the convo)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    "turn it up and it doesn't need any reverb" --danny gatton

(i don't necessarily always agree with this, but i felt it'd be a fun quote to interject into the convo)

I use reverb to give my guitar tone more body. To make it fuller sounding, I don't really use to get an ambient type of sound, which I've been told I already have by several people.

I'm a textural player, which for better or for worse, this is the way I play. I'm not a licks player, so all I can really say is I just try and make whoever I play with sound good.

User Info Menu

it is interesting how much variation there is in guitar, amp and effects choices here on this forum. As someone just starting to listen to jazz guitar, I felt like the first thing I should do is dump my Tele and get a real jazz box (in fact, I used to have a Joe Pass Emperor but never played jazz on it); turns out lots of jazz players are using Teles after all - the rule seems to be that there are no rules!

I changed my mind when I heard Ted Greene's solo recording - amazing sounds from his Tele (of course, having a truckload of talent helps...) So now I play:
    Fender Made in Japan 50's Telecaster with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups
    Pignose 60VR tube amp - this little dude is a beautiful sounding amp (and loud, if you crank it) with a really warm tone - I use the spring reverb sparingly. Plus it isn't too heavy - 35 lbs. or so - not bad for $250

My only effect box is a Yamaha DG Stomp - got sick of carting so many pedals everywhere - some nice chorus settings and delays on it.

Do you all use heavier jazz strings (.11s, .12s or .13s)? Doesn't the higher tension make it hard to add vibrato as you play? Just curious - up till now I've used 10s and occasionally a set of 11s.