The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

New-ish because I have now had the guitar for a few months.

This is #55 of the Schorr guitars (and my #1 good 7-string guitar, but another interesting instrument is coming soon).

This one has one of Nicolais sliding single coil pickups. I rarely use more than one pickup at a time, so this setup is ideal for simplicity, while still offering alot of tonal options.

I contacted Nicolai, and got on the waiting list, because I was looking for a 7-string that would be suitable for cleaner electric sounds (non-metal, non-archtop and non-existing). I play alot in jazz and country settings - sometimes without a bassist - and often have to cover the low end. Previously, I have been using a baritone for this, but trying to do this, and play the normal guitar range, on just 6 strings, comes with too many compromises, imho.

Nicolai sets up his guitars with flatwound 12's. I have tried out roundwound 12's and are now on a set of roundwound 11's (unwound 3rd string, 72' for the low A). All options that bring out different qualities in the instrument. With the flats, the 3 low strings sounded very short scale bass-ish. The rounds brings it a bit closer to a more familiar electric guitar sound (having used flats on alot of different guitars, this one really is something else). With all the different setups the guitar maintains an almost acoustic quality to the sound. Turning the tone down a bit dampens this character slightly, while still keeping the dynamics. When I picked up the guitar in Berlin, I got to try a couple of Nicolais other models and this characteristic is very much present in all the guitars I tried. When Nicolai says, that he prefers not to compare his guitars to other instruments, it is for good reason. They really have a unique sound.

Also, the string balance has been great for all the different gauges and types of strings. Pretty impressive for a pickup that doesn't have adjustable polepieces.

In these clips I have tried to play the guitar, as I mostly will be using it. The tone is turned down pretty far and with the pickup close to the neck, it sounds, to me, not worlds apart from a telecaster neck pickup.

Youcan read more about Nicolais models here:
    Schorr Guitars / Schorr Guitars

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is a unique guitar design, vaguely indebted to Ken Parker for the headstock (as the luthier acknowledges) and a hint of the old Danelectro Convertible body shape (which may be coincidental). But everything else is outside the usual box and a fascinating set of solutions. Thanks for sharing this with us, it sounds really nice in your hands.

User Info Menu

That was really nice.. you have a great touch that goes well with the guitar.

User Info Menu

Nice tone, too... it has that Attila Zoller vibe to it (in my ears), maybe just a little darker than his but similar attack and consistency. Attila used a pickup of his own design.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    That is a unique guitar design, vaguely indebted to Ken Parker for the headstock (as the luthier acknowledges) and a hint of the old Danelectro Convertible body shape (which may be coincidental). But everything else is outside the usual box and a fascinating set of solutions. Thanks for sharing this with us, it sounds really nice in your hands.
    Thank you
    Yes, the Schorr guitars really are a unique combination of features. The tilting neck-joint (inspired by Howe Orme and Rick Turner) is another solution that really makes alot of sense from a practical point of view. Adjusting the action really couldn’t be easier. Many of the key features have obviously been done elsewhere before, but the combination really is what creates such a unique vision for the electric guitar.