The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

Hi,

I am looking for a metronome with a realistic wood block sound. Ideally it would allow accent placement. I think I would prefer a dial type control versus a button or "tap tempo".

I do have a couple of metronomes but looking for something simple with a mellow sound. Thanks.

Happy independence day!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wish I could help you on this one. I've got an electric one (not battery powered) that has a nice click but it also has a light that flashes with each click. If I really want to check my timing, I can close my eyes, turn off the click sound and just leave the flashing light on for a chorus. Then I can open my eyes and see if I'm still in time with the light. I'd hate to tell you how many times I'm not synched with that light. It's a great exercise.

User Info Menu

HFC - I've got one of those ... somewhere. (I never found it after moving to our present house!) I think the brand was, "Thomas." It is (was) sort of a pyramid-shaped wooden box with a dial for speed if I recall. I'll have to look for it again!

User Info Menu

Korg KDM 2 Digital Metronome. Good tone (with a number of options although the default is the only one I would use), dial for tempo, accent placement, loud, easy button access (no multi-function buttons). My search for a good metronome stopped when I got this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    HFC - I've got one of those ... somewhere. (I never found it after moving to our present house!) I think the brand was, "Thomas." It is (was) sort of a pyramid-shaped wooden box with a dial for speed if I recall. I'll have to look for it again!
    Franz made similar ones without the pyramid shape. Came plain vanilla (only clicks) with a light, and with one that could add a bell sound for beat one (or whichever you wanted). I think the light could also be set for one, but not sure. I have the plain vanilla one, when I studied with Lee Konitz, he had the one with the bell and light.
    I like the idea of the light alone to check how well you keep time.
    Brad

User Info Menu

If you want a "woody" sound from a metronome, you will need to get a modeling version that has a "wooden box" setting.

All seriousness aside, here is what I have been using since just before the beginning of time:

Amazon.com: Matrix MR-600 Metronome: Musical Instruments

It has a great knock instead of that irritating electronic chirp. Once I heard it, I was sold.
    Last edited by bborzell; 07-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.

User Info Menu

If you have an iPhone, check out Guitar Toolkit. I use it every day, and i always have it with me. You can have an accent or not, and choose the type of sound. Woodblock is what i use. For $10 it is a great deal considering you get a chord dictionary, tuner, metronome, and chord calculator.

User Info Menu

Mine wasn't either of the two you guys mentioned. I'm not at home until tomorrow night so I'll be able to tell you which one I have. It has a dark brown plastic case and is about 6" long by about 4" wide by about 4" high. It has a diamond shaped light directly on the top and a dial on the front. It rattles a bit when I shake it but that's only been since I dropped it. it keeps great time. I don't.

User Info Menu

On the iPhone front, I use the Steinway & Sons metronome app. It's simple and has a big virtual dial in the middle for adjusting tempo. You set your time signature, you can set it to flash or not, or flash only, downbeat only, or down and up-beats, and it has that nice warm wooden box click that you described. (You can even select the wood finish you want it to look like! LOL!)
    Best of all, it's free.

Thanks for all the input. I just got the free app metronome (thanks retroman)
    I just got an I pad so this will work fine for now. I just hope I don't drop this on the floor like I've done with my other metronomes!

Enjoy the day.

User Info Menu

No problem Bflat!
    I had the same issues, finding most modern metronomes (and apps) unnecessarily complex with distractingly shrill 'beep-beep' or 'crack-ding' sounds. I tried and dumped a bunch before settling on this one.

PS: You might consider trying an Otter Defender case. Makes the delicate iPad nearly bulletproof. A bit pricy (like $60-$80) but worth it in piece of mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman1969
    On the iPhone front, I use the Steinway & Sons metronome app. It's simple and has a big virtual dial in the middle for adjusting tempo. You set your time signature, you can set it to flash or not, or flash only, downbeat only, or down and up-beats, and it has that nice warm wooden box click that you described. (You can even select the wood finish you want it to look like! LOL!)
    Best of all, it's free.

hey thanks for that! I've tried two other metronome apps and they've both come up short in big ways. This one seems pretty solid!

The "web metronome" app has an awesome feature which is that it can go all the way down to 1 bpm - unfortunately it's tempos are innacurate! It's consistent with itself but just simply has slower bpms. The web metronome's 100 is really about 95, it's 200 really 180, etc.
    Last edited by JakeAcci; 07-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    hey thanks for that! I've tried two other metronome apps and they've both come up short in big ways. This one seems pretty solid!
    Cool, I'm sure you'll like it. It gets about the best metronome reviews in the app store and I can see why.

User Info Menu

im all about my TEMPO app on the iPhone. though it does crash every once in a while...

User Info Menu

I've been using a good metronome that has a variety of beats patterns. However, the metronome emphasizes the first beat, which is great sometimes, undesirable other times. There is no way to switch that emphasis off. It would also be useful to have the ability to switch particular beat(s) off, say 1 and 3 or even 1,2 and 3. I know I can run it at half speed, but the emphasis on the 1st beat makes it difficult to ignore.

I've been checking a variety of metronomes on amazon, but none seem to discuss that kind of feature - it's all about how many patterns there are, and so on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Hi there, I presume you are using a mechanical metronome. If you are willing to try a computer based metronome there are a few out there. I have one called weird metronome which apart from presets you can program virtually anything you wish. I have used it for Flamenco which has many non standard beats and it has been quite helpful. I think the site is www.weirdmetronome.com and there are others out there if you search.
    Last edited by OldRocker; 04-29-2013 at 08:59 AM.

User Info Menu

The easy solution to what you're describing is simply: count differently. If you're hearing the "click" as "1," try hearing it as "2" ( or 3 or 4 or whatever). Most people when practicing "swing" feel jazz hear the metronome like it's the drums -- emphasizing 2 and 4. Count: "one - click - three - click," etc. To "switch 1, 2, and 3 off," (presumably to hear a Philly Jo drum pattern!), slow the metronome down, and count: "one-two-three-click." No need to buy anything new.

User Info Menu

The boss db 30 is a great metronome

User Info Menu

A real wooden one from years ago...mechanical..I have to wind it up..
    ...brass hardware...antique...use it regularly...with and without students..

Mine is 50 years old and never skips a beat...

to each his own...my students like the real one better...but will cost three times as much as an electronic one...

time... on the instrument...

User Info Menu

I need a good metronome, preferably an old school analog click type. I have the small electronic Seiko and the beeps drive me crazy. There are bunch to choose from at Amazon and most are pretty expensive, so I wanted to get some feedback. Thanks...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have a Boss (eletronic) metronome and I never thought of the sound it makes. I like being about to tweak the speed consistently. Analog ones look more like furniture to me -- can't clip them to the music stand.

User Info Menu

I don't know why, but every time I attend a guitar show I come home with one more metronome! I bring them home as souvenirs and they are invariably old 80's Wittner or Seiko's quartz metronomes.
    I have some old mechanical ones also, but for regular use I like the convenience of those small quartz ones. They seem indestructible too (and easy to repair if neccesary)
    I also have a more modern Seiko that I like. It has a volume knob which can be convenient. It was appr. €40 and is used by my wife now.

I don't particularly like those digital ones with push buttons. I prefer a big manual dial to adjust the speed.

User Info Menu

I use a Boss DB-90 attached to my music stand with a boom cymbal arm.

I have also used my compact Seiko SQM-358 for the last 30 years.

User Info Menu

I also couldnt stand the beeping sound of my digital metronome. I bought a quartz metronome, Seiko SQ70, and ive been happy. The price was more than i wanted to pay but i think its ok if it lasts several years. the click sound is much less irritating and i actually use the metronome more now. i had to adjust since the digital i was using was my first and rhythms are dialed in differently. the biggest thing for me was the sound of the click.