The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 118

User Info Menu

I use(d) it on smaller, low volume gigs. I don't think I used my classical but I did use:

Telecaster
    ES 350T (thin body version)
    L-5
    Super 400

I don't think I've played any guitars with floating pups with it though. For those I would have used a 50w amp at low volume

It sounded fine. Just don't use the fat switch and watch the volume level. For $250 you got a deal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got one and I have used it on small gigs with med-sized combo (drums, piano, bass, couple of horns). It's not quite loud enough for me, so I'm considering some of the Bill M mods (e.g. bias) to improve my clean headroom. It starts to get a bit dirty at the volumes I need in that situation. I don't think it would hang with a big band. But I love its tone and it's a really fun amp.

For my junior recital last spring I used it in conjunction with a ZT Lunchbox (had an active splitter box)...that seemed to work pretty well.

EDIT: I play a Samick JZ4 (basically an L5 copy) and as expected, I get some amount of feedback if I'm not careful. That guitar has a single floating pup. I wish this thing was available in a 25W version (I think it's rated at 15W).

User Info Menu

Jeff,

I agree, 25w would make this an even better amp. The only other Fender option I see is the Deluxe Reverb at 22w but that's more than I would want.

User Info Menu

The blues junior is not trash, like someone said. Everyone search for a different sound, and if it gives you a sound you like, that's ALL that really matters. It is true that it breaks up easily, but in some situations I don't dislike that. I like the fact that its got bass/mid/treble EQ. I play it with my ES-335. I also tried it with my Eastman 805CE (floating pick-up), but it sounds better on my princeton reverb. You can also easily put at least 3 beer bottles on it...

User Info Menu

I have one, as does my nephew. It's not quite loud enough for many gigs, but a mic will fix that easily enough.
    It gets dirty....fast.
    The reverb was made for playing Beach Boys tunes.
    EL84 tubes don't sound all that much like a Fender amp.
    I give it a C, but will likely replace it with an Ibanez Tube screamer amp. It has 15 watts and uses 6L6 tubes and the clean channel stays clean almost all the way up. Way more Fender-y sounding to me than a Blues Jr.

EG

User Info Menu

I have one and done a lot of mods to it, some Bill M, others myself. Its a good amp but the best is to get one cheap and do just some mods. For me the bast part was the learning process actually. You can mod it a lot but its still a 15w amp in a small cabinet. You can set the amp to have a lot of headroom but this amps sounds very sweet at low volumes and too agressive at high volumes even if it stays clean.

Bill M is a great guy to deal with but he sells his stuff expensive. The Blues Junior must be one of the most sold amps in the world - creating a mods site was a great idea. I liked most of his mods but didnt liked his tone stack values - giving a lot of bass to a very bright amp just gives you too much of everything.

For a starter its a great amp. If you always mic your amps it might fit you. For jazz and jazz only there are better solid state options at that price.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I could flip it but that isnt my style (I still have a couple of Valve Jr, they make ok bookends).

I might have a blues rock gig this fall. I can try it out then. Using a 78ish vibrochamp with a holygrail and it is hard to beat but doesnt even come close to holding up in a jam situation.

I actually like the fat switch on it. Like the master volume. I DO have to frig a lot with the tone knobs to get something I like. With the 12in it seems to fit nicely between my reverbs princeton and deluxe.

User Info Menu

I'd try it for yourself...plenty of people love this amp. Many of them are serious players...at least the ones I've hung with. I know I dig mine...albeit it's heavily modded along with a C. Rex and extension jack.

User Info Menu

I've also got the tweed blues junior and have had for a couple of years.

Left it on for 3 days by mistake and now it begins to whistle loudly when I turn the volume up? Have I screwed a valve? Any ideas would be appreciated

User Info Menu

Eddy... try not to burn your fingers.

leaving an amp on for 3 days shouldn't harm the amp. not a great idea but no real biggie.

label your preamp tubes 1-2-3 (3 being closest to the power tubes)

swap tubes 1 and 3 and try again.

if that fixes it then tube 1 is probably microphonic and ready to be replaced.

if it doesn't fix it then put the tubes back in the original order and then swap 2 and 3.

If that fixes it (or makes it much better then #2) is probably the culprit.

if that doest do it see if you can borrow a 12ax7 and then substitute for 1, then 2, then 3.

BTW your reverb should be at 0 for all of this. I have heard reverb tanks feed back but usually you can tell it is a reverb issue.

if THAT doesn't do it... I would take it to a tech.

User Info Menu

Thanks Sam. Puts my mind at rest that I haven't killed it - at least. I'll give your idea a shot.

By the way, I tried the magic 6 for the 'Fender sound' and it really did sound so much better.

This is the sweet spot, or there abouts, that Fender amps are designed to reach.

Cheers Sam

User Info Menu

It took me a while to get the hang of setting the contols on mine. I think the master vol threw me off more than anything else. I did some mods to mine (too long ago to remember what but I think I did the cooler-bias BillM mod and maybe another.. I would have to look it up). I also changed the reverb tank and that was the best 15$ I spent on that amp.

User Info Menu

Are you guys talking about 'old' Blues Juniors? Is the current model, the Blues Junior III, as useful for Jazz as the older models? An earlier poster mentioned it being thinner and brighter than previous models. I live in Ireland and am pretty limited in what I can buy. Would love a vintage Kenny Burrell tone with a little break-up but there are never decent amps for sale second hand here and nothing like polytone, etc. New amps or reissues (from somewhere like Thomann) are about the best I can hope for!

User Info Menu

Only real issue is the clean headroom - for a home amp it's fine (overkill probably), but won't be much use against 4+ horns, heavy handed pianist and a drummer.

I picked up a sunburst Mk2 one on ebay for rock band practice, added a Cannabis Rex, and have tried some of the V1 tube/valve swaps for more clean headroom (pretty unsuccessful - wrecked the sound and made it pick up lots of interference) - classic blues/rock with a Zendrive - a to-die-for tone, but not jazz

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice Jalapeno, i dont need headroom, just a home amp that will also do for jamming with friends, doubt i will ever gig! Hard to find a small vintage sounding tube amp over here that fits the bill!

By coincidence I just noticed the Fender Blues Junior III FSR Stealth (http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_blue...sr_stealth.htm) which comes with a Cannabis Rex fitted as standard. Must be a recent release, in Europe anyway, as it has only just appeared on Thomann.

User Info Menu

I have wondered about those Bill M mods. He does kits and rumour has it (a mate bought a ss amp) that there is a guy down the road who worked for fender building amps. He's opened his own show so I could ask him to do the work.

Heard people like to swap out the stock reverb for a ruby model. I'm not up on reverb enough to comment though there is a great vid on how to use a BJ containing amp settings, a boss blues driver 2 modded by Mr. Keeley (which I also have) and his comments on the reverb on the amp and his preference for a little slap back delay, instead.

Hope this helps out, somewhat

User Info Menu

I don't like the reverb on mine, went back to my Boss RV-3 recently.

User Info Menu

I often read this and wonder what element of the stock reverb is so offensive to players? What is it that I am hearing that others find the need to replace?

I say this in good heart as I'm trying to improve my tone.

User Info Menu

Oh.. just has seems very high end.. not noisy but if I say buzzy do you know what I mean.
    It "sounds" small. I don't remember I thing I got the ruby but there is another brand that is very popular too. Really, if I could leave my holy grail rev on the shelf and just use the stock one I would. And having spent the 17$ and 5 min. I CAN leave my HolyG on the shelf. It is the single best mod to the amp.

User Info Menu

If it only took 5mins and at such a cheap cost, I'm up for this. Did you do the mod yourself, squire and could you walk me through it? Cheers

User Info Menu

Did it myself.

1) went to tubesandmore.com and ordered http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-RBS3EB2C1B
    2) Waited 2 weeks
    3) unplugged the old tank (keep track of which colour goes on which side)
    4) philips head screwdriver to remove the 4 screws holding in place.
    5)repeat steps 4 and 3 but in reverse.

so it took 5min + 2 weeks.

User Info Menu

Like to get another tube amp, but growing older want small and like a 1 x 12". I was looking at the Fender Blues Jr and the size and price seem pretty good, but but wonder it they can get a clean sound. Has anyone used one for a clean sound? Most the time I see people using the larger Blues Deluxe.

User Info Menu

Not much headroom on a Blues Jr, but if things are not too loud it will do. But it reaches it's max very soon in a noisy bar.

I've used one once and the bigger problem I found is the abundance of treble that the amp delivers and I had a lot of trouble dialing that out without the sound getting muffled or dull and undefined.

That amp wouldn't be my first choice, make sure you try one out thoroughly to see if it suits your needs.

User Info Menu

buy a princeton 65 reverb reissue and upgrade the 10 inch speaker for a 12 it fits in same cab no prob ...

User Info Menu

Keira's suggestion is not half bad!

And if you go for an efficient speaker of art least 98dB (preferebly even more) and maybe even a neodynium, you'd have a class jazz-amp that can cover a lot of terrain.

The Princeton is considerably more expensive though, but that's maybe for a reason...