The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Bb in first position, some new rhythms and reverse alternate picking.

Remember to review.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Page 50, Scale, Rhythm Accompaniment

Page 50 Scale, Rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Page 51, Duet (This was a fun piece and I had a drum track that seemed to fit well, so added it)

Page 51 Duet.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

very enjoyable oldhead. Now, where are my maracas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead

Page 51, Duet (This was a fun piece and I had a drum track that seemed to fit well, so added it)

Great playing on both of these.

And the drum track, that's one cheesy enchilada.

User Info Menu

That's quick jump to C7 and D7, that's hard for me. I need to drill on that a bit.

MM1 Page 50, Bb Major Scales, Rhythm Accompainiment.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Great playing on both of these.

And the drum track, that's one cheesy enchilada.
    Thanks, FEP. Yes, it is a cheesy enchilada, but made it more fun. Maybe in the Supplemental Thread we could have one person upload one part, someone else download that and add to it, upload the result, someone else download that, etc., to see what we'd come up with? Could be very interesting, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    very enjoyable oldhead. Now, where are my maracas?
    Thanks, TLT. Actually, I was thinking about putting maracas and maybe a tambourine in, but couldn't justify the expense.
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-17-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: delete wrong quote.

User Info Menu

That's quick jump to C7 and D7, that's hard for me. I need to drill on that a bit.

MM1 Page 50, Bb Major Scales, Rhythm Accompainiment.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    I really like the sound of your chords and the way you play them. Some of these changes were difficult. When I started this one, because of my arthritic finger I couldn't even make the change C7, D7 and very difficult on the diminished. Once I loosened up to the point I could make them, figured I'd better record it. Mr. L certainly gives us challenges, but that's a good thing.
    Looking forward to your duet (I'm sure you've got maracas and a tambourine)!!

User Info Menu

Like it alot man! I thought the backing track fit well also and you knocked this one out really quick Dave. Your playing sounds really good and your reading skills are coming along great from what I can tell. Sounded great. What was your view on the squiggly line next to the F7? Are we suppose to strum through slowly here more like an arpeggio? I don't remember seeing this symbol but it may have come up earlier?

User Info Menu

Sounded great Fep. Sounded like the scale you played when it ascended and descended took the dynamics in your playing higher and lower which I thought sounded musical as much as a scale can be made musical.

Like the punchiness of the rhythmn track. I'm going to practice like that with more punch and attack. I tend to drag somewhat at times. Love the sound from the diminished to the dominant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Like it alot man! I thought the backing track fit well also and you knocked this one out really quick Dave. Your playing sounds really good and your reading skills are coming along great from what I can tell. Sounded great. What was your view on the squiggly line next to the F7? Are we suppose to strum through slowly here more like an arpeggio? I don't remember seeing this symbol but it may have come up earlier?
    Thanks, Will. The reading is coming along, with a lot of work, but it's worth it.
    The squiggly line (it comes up in 3 places in this piece) appears first at Pg 17, at the end of Here We Go Again (duet), and means to glide the pick across the strings so notes sound one after the other.
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-17-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add s, m

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You deserve one after that performance, but I'm a little sad you didn't add the maracas! Very nice playing, FEP.

User Info Menu

This is a pretty handy picking technique. I like it.

I played alternating picking with the down strokes on the down beats for such a long time. It's good to being breaking out of that habit.

Last edited by fep; 04-20-2012 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice job on that picking exercise. It can be tricky, but I can certainly see the benefits of being able to use it. If only it was as easy as you make it look!

User Info Menu

P52, Reverse Alternate Picking
    https://www.box.com/s/63e77369121503ab7f48

User Info Menu

Wow. You guys are too good.

User Info Menu

P52, Reverse Alternate Picking
    https://www.box.com/s/63e77369121503ab7f48
    I just stumbled upon what to me is a very beneficial asset to speed building.
    In golf and in my work (I'm a freelance stenotypist court reporter) speed is essential. In the golf swing relaxed muscles result in more clubhead speed and longer hits. In stenotype relaxed muscles result in faster finger speed on the stenotype machine (we have to be able to write at 250 to 300 words per minute). So when practicing this exercise, I noticed how tight my finger muscles, neck muscles, shoulders, etc. were, so I made a concerted effort to really relax my whole body, and especially my fingers and hands. I also went from a death grip on the pick to a very light hold, just enough so it won't fall out of my hand. What a difference! More speed, more relaxed. The benefits are multiple A lot of you probably already know all this, but I thought I'd post this for anyone who isn't gaining the benefit of consciously relaxing while playing. It really does help.

This is the reverse picking exercise after relaxing. It's not perfect, but I think you'll get the point.
    https://www.box.com/s/d195c172fb3dd5d6f33e

User Info Menu

Here's Duet in Bb: http://db.tt/zVybsNkv

Not too happy with my groove in part one. Especially the measures with tied notes, like system 2, m. 4

I noticed I tend to rush the fourth beat when strumming the chords in the accompaniment.

Here's Reverse Alternate Picking Study: http://db.tt/nGU7jquq

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Here's Duet in Bb: http://db.tt/zVybsNkv

Not too happy with my groove in part one. Especially the measures with tied notes, like system 2, m. 4

I noticed I tend to rush the fourth beat when strumming the chords in the accompaniment.

Here's Reverse Alternate Picking Study: http://db.tt/nGU7jquq
    Duet: Thought the groove sounded fine. Didn't really hear a rushed rhythm. s3, m1,2 sounded a miniscule off on the timing of rhythm and lead to me, but that could just be me.
    Very nice job on the duet. I felt like I was sitting in a cafe, just listening to good music and sipping a drink.

Great job on the Alt Picking.

User Info Menu

Good point oldhead on the relaxing while playing. I still do Rob's exercises every day, and I think they help. Yes, I already know about relaxing, but some things it helps to be reminded. Awesome reverse picking.

Marty - sounds good both times. Solid picking. Duet was fine, only the most minor rhythmic inaccuracies that are inevitable without a conductor, drummer, or live partner to play alongside.

User Info Menu

Sounded great oldhead. I'm impressed than you can read that quickly in Bb.

Well played fep, very consistent. The first F7 in system 4 caught my ear as being a little late but no biggie.

Here's a question for the group about the measures where we're supposed to strum slower. Like in system 2, m.2, F7. Do you think it sounds better to start the strum early, anticipating beat 1? Or to start directly on beat 1?

I experimented with both but couldn't make up my mind.
    This is a pretty handy picking technique. I like it.

I played alternating picking with the down strokes on the down beats for such a long time. It's good to being breaking out of that habit.

Very well played. I like the contrast between your bass and melody. I think mine was probably too bass heavy.

Yeah same here with the picking. I've been thinking about this for a while. It's more efficient to pick toward the next string instead of picking away from it.

IOW it takes less movement to go down/up when moving from the 6th to 5th string than it does to go up/down. It's not always possible to do this of course but it does make it easier.

I've noticed a big improvement in my technique by reversing a lot of my picking patterns. In the long run it's lead to less tension and more speed.

In golf and in my work (I'm a freelance stenotypist court reporter) speed is essential. In the golf swing relaxed muscles result in more clubhead speed and longer hits. In stenotype relaxed muscles result in faster finger speed on the stenotype machine (we have to be able to write at 250 to 300 words per minute). So when practicing this exercise, I noticed how tight my finger muscles, neck muscles, shoulders, etc. were, so I made a concerted effort to really relax my whole body, and especially my fingers and hands. I also went from a death grip on the pick to a very light hold, just enough so it won't fall out of my hand. What a difference! More speed, more relaxed. The benefits are multiple A lot of you probably already know all this, but I thought I'd post this for anyone who isn't gaining the benefit of consciously relaxing while playing. It really does help.

This is the reverse picking exercise after relaxing. It's not perfect, but I think you'll get the point.
    I thought both sounded good oldhead. The second was for sure more laid back, but the first one had good energy. The first was maybe more on the front edge of the beat and the second on the back edge??

Great point oldhead about relaxing. Motocross racers are always talking about breathing and heart rate, it's probably the same with guitar players.

Thanks for posting everyone. And for the critiques.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great job and I agree about relaxing. The only problem I have at times is the pick moves around on me and I have to fidget with it. I hold the pick very lightly and am going to pay more attention after reading your relaxing idea and incorporate it more to my wrist and hand and perhaps other parts of the body.

The only thing I'm moving is my wrist and hand. My arm and elbow are not moving at all. I move my picking thumb as well and index finger for accents.

User Info Menu

Nice playing on all three, Will. Was that turnaround at s5, m4 on the duet intended? It seemed to fit even if it wasn't.

User Info Menu

Nice playing on all three, Will. Was that turnaround at s5, m4 on the duet intended? It seemed to fit even if it wasn't.
    Got to the end and lost it for a sec and tried to salvage it keeping the rhythm on beat.