The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

FYI: Just came across a program called Moises which is great for track separation. I tried it using the album Fitzgerald and Pass Again. It totally enabled me to eliminate the vocal (sorry Ella) and listen to how Joe Pass accompanies a singer.

I think this is going to be a very useful app (for phones or desktop).

Moises - The Musician'''s App | Remove vocals and instruments from any song

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=moises+app

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    FYI: Just came across a program called Moises which is great for track separation. I tried it using the album Fitzgerald and Pass Again. It totally enabled me to eliminate the vocal (sorry Ella) and listen to how Joe Pass accompanies a singer.

I think this is going to be a very useful app (for phones or desktop).

Moises - The Musician'''s App | Remove vocals and instruments from any song

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=moises+app

Doug
    I've messed with LALAL.Ai a few times - it's about the same thing. I used it to remove Wes from a couple tunes to get a backing track and it worked fairly well. I tried it on a Ventures tune and it didn't work at all - it had trouble differentiating which electric guitar I wanted removed. However, if there's an obvious lead instrument or vocal, it seems to work well.

User Info Menu

I've used Moises with varying degrees of success. It is worthwhile though. I've made back tracks from recordings of Inner Urge, Isotope, Joy Spring, Yes or No to name a few. I also made versions with horn and no keys to practice comping without McCoy getting in my way :-) These rhythm sections beat the hell out of iReal. Fun to play with.

I bet it works a lot better with pulling out vocals as they're usually more identifiable than some instruments are. Maybe they've worked harder on that. Karaoke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    I bet it works a lot better with pulling out vocals as they're usually more identifiable than some instruments are. Maybe they've worked harder on that. Karaoke.
    Yes, it does work better with vocals. If you want to know how the pros comp behind a singer, try doing what I did: use it on Fitzgerald & Pass...Again Moises cuts out the vocal almost totally and you can listen to how Joe P accompannies a singer. Now is that a valuable lesson for a guitarist or what? :-)

Or listen to what Barney played on Julie London's 'Cry Me a River' Classic! :-)

And that is only the beginning what you can do with Moises. Very useful program, for sure.

Doug

User Info Menu

I have used it to transpose songs into other keys I want to play along with. I think it is very useful.