The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

Here's an article on this very subject. It's a fun read.

The Most Common Complaint From Older Musicians - Jazz Guitar Today

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well written. Fareed's a wise man.

User Info Menu

This list of innovators is a bunch of people so old they're all dead. Which is ironic, innovation is literally dead in his example.

Almost all of the great music that we celebrate – from Palestrina, Bach, Stravinsky Debussy Bartok Schoenberg, to Mingus, Monk, ‘Trane, Charlie Parker, Tristano, Zappa, Holdsworth, and beyond is in some way rejecting tradition and embracing architecture, form and innovation.

User Info Menu

Bartok did field research, Mingus deeply interested in folk blues, Monk had a background of accompanying a preacher, Bird was busking blues as a kid, Trane played with Cleanhead Vinson ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Bartok did field research, Mingus deeply interested in folk blues, Monk had a background of accompanying a preacher, Bird was busking blues as a kid, Trane played with Cleanhead Vinson ...
    You're saying these pure musicians actually had roots? For shame!

User Info Menu

Maybe I read in too far but that's what I got out of the article...that there's not really a dichotomy...

User Info Menu

Am I going out on a limb to say pure music is more an accusation than an artistic process? Oi Bach you did pure music. 'Ach, I thought I was writing a French suite.'

That said he did kind of go out of his way to make his music jolly complicated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Maybe I read in too far but that's what I got out of the article...that there's not really a dichotomy...
    Yeah, I was having a goof with Bop Head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think he's saying there is a dichotomy, but that it's not old vs young; it's "innovative" vs "roots". He is specifically saying that people on the "innovative/pure" end of spectrum mistakenly dismiss roots music (especially blues) as too easy to be worthwhile. They thereby miss its sophistication of execution and fail to learn the lessons it offers for the art of performing jazz.

User Info Menu

George Benson not only heard but also played with BB King.

B.B. King 1978 Bottom Line NYC WNEW FM : WNEW : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

EDIT: Link corrected

User Info Menu

Was fully prepared to roll my eyes at this until I saw it was Fareed Haque.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I think he's saying there is a dichotomy, but that it's not old vs young; it's "innovative" vs "roots". He is specifically saying that people on the "innovative/pure" end of spectrum mistakenly dismiss roots music (especially blues) as too easy to be worthwhile. They thereby miss its sophistication of execution and fail to learn the lessons it offers for the art of performing jazz.
    He writes,

Don’t forget that history is the greatest teacher and you’ll find that the greatest innovators have always understood the roots of their music. So don’t think understanding your roots as losing your innovative spirit and don’t fight innovation in order to be a rootsy musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    He writes,

Don’t forget that history is the greatest teacher and you’ll find that the greatest innovators have always understood the roots of their music. So don’t think understanding your roots as losing your innovative spirit and don’t fight innovation in order to be a rootsy musician.
    I just read the article. It's funny that the bit you quote undermines the already very specious premise of the article, that music exists in two forms - 'roots' and 'pure' music. I'm unsurprised to discover it contains zero evidence that there are people around ('younger guitarists') who need to have it explained to them that they need to know about the tradition within which they're working (i.e. their roots).

I'd also like to hear him explain to me how Palestrina rejected tradition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    I just read the article. It's funny that the bit you quote undermines the already very specious premise of the article, that music exists in two forms - 'roots' and 'pure' music. I'm unsurprised to discover it contains zero evidence that there are people around ('younger guitarists') who need to have it explained to them that they need to know about the tradition within which they're working (i.e. their roots).

I'd also like to hear him explain to me how Palestrina rejected tradition.
    True - in my choir days- we always thought of Palestrina as the vanilla option. Victoria if you wanted some messy fun.

For the real out-there c16 stuff of course there’s Gesualdo a little later…

Anyway douchebag quibbles aside, I’m also not sure if I buy this dichotomy. Sounds like something a jazz musician would come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 01-31-2024 at 07:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Here's an article on this very subject. It's a fun read.

The Most Common Complaint From Older Musicians - Jazz Guitar Today
    ahhh...Nice site...

User Info Menu

Most young musicians do look down on blues as something below them. That's a fact I established by how many pick up guys were unable or unwilling to stick a blues gig. Hitting a blues jam for a few songs and an all nighter playing blues are quite different things. Due to the nature of a lot of gigs now i.e low volume, many of the drummers lacked an audible back beat and couldn't be coaxed to drive the music by any means. Then, thanks to everyone-gets-a-gold-star teaching methods you also have a whole slew of guys with no meter.....

Pointers shared by peers are not generally respected the way demands handed down by bandleaders and professors are respected. Novelty seems to be more of a core ingredient in the young musical mind than roots. The endless admixture of music. Abandon the blues roots of jazz and you don't have a genre left. Maybe that's why so much music sucks now.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A word-guy quibble: "roots" and "pure" are not opposing terms. I think I know what Haque is getting at, but the tension he's describing is more like "traditional" and "paradigm-stretching" (or -breaking). Or, from a different angle, music that emphasizes continuity or discontinuity with regard to previous conventions and expectations. (Or music that deliberately mixes modes/expectation-sets, or that deliberately violates conventions.)

None of these strike me as polar opposites with absolute end-points, but rather as directions along a variety of axes that might describe what's going on in a body of work.

I'd better stop before I start reconstructing my old intro-to-lit notes on how to talk about a poem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    True - in my choir days- we always thought of Palestrina as the vanilla option.
    Get my guy's name out of your mouth, Miller.

User Info Menu

The trouble with younger guitarists

The trouble with the young is that they're young, which is not their fault. And the trouble with the older people is that they're always complaining about something or other. Quite often the young people :-)

And that's all that article said about that. The rest of it, which was most of it, I glazed over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    True - in my choir days- we always thought of Palestrina as the vanilla option. Victoria if you wanted some messy fun.

For the real out-there c16 stuff of course there’s Gesualdo a little later…
    Or Lassus' Prophetiae Sibyllarum...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Quite. Yet he is writing for a publication called Jazz Guitar Today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Get my guy's name out of your mouth, Miller.
    Victoria’s better and you know it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Admitted I havnt had time to read the article - yet. In a jazz guitar context how old is a younger guitarist actually?

User Info Menu

Authors who can't write coherently kind of peeve me.