The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92

User Info Menu

Or we could ask what is jazz now? Damned if I know, something like waves of sound mostly, isn't it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What was jazz then?

“With the belated emergence of jazz from its long-suffered role as the Cinderella of esthetics, and with its gradual acceptance in many previously closed areas, the definition of its nature, always disputed among critics and to some extent among musicians and the public, has become a near-impossibility.”

Leonard Feather, The Book of Jazz: A Guide To The Entire Field (1957)

User Info Menu

Jazz may be a process or methodology rather than a genre then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    Yes, or a community of interest. Jazz has lasted so long, and changed so much. It resists definition and its boundaries and difficult to discern. Several of its most important practitioners did not like the name. It hangs together because people in its community want that. Its future is uncertain.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of fiction; there used to be “genre fiction” on one hand, and “literary fiction” on the other. These have largely blended and the categories no longer work so well. So maybe jazz will become increasingly retro and diffused at the same time.

User Info Menu

So maybe jazz will become increasingly retro and diffused at the same time
    This is the most spot on description I've seen. On one hand we have the swing dancers, vocalists and Django enthusiasts while on the other we have the EDM inspired twist on fusion. All of it is retro to me, but the net is wide. Unlike say, rockabilly which is also retro but it's a very small net of sonic options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    I think some artists have thought that way for 60+ years!

There is no new focal point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    There is no new focal point.
    Has there ever been? Seems like change is always brewing under the flavor of the day.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of the modern stuff that has a lot of nonfunctional harmony is completely inaccessible to the general public. Yet, you probably can't play every gig like it's 1957 either. What percentage of the (say U.S.) population consider themselves to be serious jazz fans in 2024? Maybe 1.5%?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Split into a "classical" canon and improvising over Dilla beats. Like now. Change is slow

User Info Menu

The end of the Dilla beat period has been reported many times. My undergrad students semi-disparagingly referred to it as ‘cheesy clank’ as far back as 2018….

And yet, it remains a thing. I’m all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Crazy that the young undergrads playing at my local were born the year I got Facebook. No wonder they think it's for old people.

Twin Peaks jazz maybe? More Nintendo Jazz? Will Dad jazz (fusion, maybe KR now) make a comeback?

User Info Menu

It all used to be called syncopation but I think Sonny Rollins said it best- jazz is a spirit.

User Info Menu

I think in 20 years we will be able to dial up any mashed-up jazz we want to hear through AI. For example "hey, Google, play me "Hello Dolly" as a duet between Louis Armstrong and Allan Holdsworth." "hey, Google, let's hear Albert Ayler playing with Blossom Dearie." Or even "hey, Google, let's hear Taylor Swift and John Coltrane play "Lover.""

And without need for those pesky jazz musicians. Indeed, there will be no need for artists at all; or journalists; or scientists; or English teachers; etc. We all be able to live in our own little AI generated bubble without reference to reality.

At which point, curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I think in 20 years we will be able to dial up any mashed-up jazz we want to hear through AI. For example "hey, Google, play me "Hello Dolly" as a duet between Louis Armstrong and Allan Holdsworth." "hey, Google, let's hear Albert Ayler playing with Blossom Dearie." Or even "hey, Google, let's hear Taylor Swift and John Coltrane play "Lover.""

And without need for those pesky jazz musicians. Indeed, there will be no need for artists at all; or journalists; or scientists; or English teachers; etc. We all be able to live in our own little AI generated bubble without reference to reality.

At which point, curtain.
    Yes.

A bit depressive thought.

Btw. You can tell the AI instructions like "play more passing notes"... "same, but a bit laid back".

'asdkjfa';sdkg';aldknfg;ldaknjf;gnads;fgnads

We're done. Stop practicing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

At which point, curtain.
    It could be a lot sooner than 20 years the way A.I. is going. A lot of that can be done now.