The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Came across these chords at rehearsal last night.

What does the : mean?
    What are these chords-fm7-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like it's just a lowercase i

So Fmi7-- is Fm7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Looks like it's just a lowercase i

So Fmi7-- is Fm7
    I agree especially since "ma" is used when it is a major.

User Info Menu

One of my many pet peeves on handwritten charts

User Info Menu

Never seen it before, but it certainly looks like minor is written m: and major is written ma.

User Info Menu

What are these chords-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar View Post

It looks like a colon, but it's really a dotted " i ". If you look at the maj chords, he's using ma for those, so his convention is consistent.

User Info Menu

I'd guess that this writer got complaints about an earlier chart (one without the dots) -- that the players couldn't distinguish minor from major.

I agree that it looks like a colon and that it can be read, successfully, as a dotted i. But, a dotted i isn't two equal dots, so my guess is that it's just an idiosyncratic way of making minor and major look different. Or it could be a strange looking dotted i like Patrick already said.

User Info Menu

the major chords have only one dot..so it appears to distinguish between minor two dots and major one dot

User Info Menu

I haven't seen this "C2" chord notation on a common lead sheet, apparently it's a C add9 (C-E-G-D). Somewhat odd in that they notated the G add9 as G/A. The tune is Wichita Lineman.
    Attached Images Attached Images What are these chords-wichita-lineman-c2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Is it meant to be an ‘i’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Is it meant to be an ‘i’?
    The C2? It's a major chord.

Actually, I just found another chart in which it is called C(add9) so I suppose this new chart solves the riddle but raises new ones, e.g., the G/A in the first measure of the old chart is now called an Am7(add 4), which is quite different - but all of this could probably be cleared up by listening to Glen Campbell. Jimmy Webb wrote some cool chord changes.

What are these chords-wichita-lineman-02-jpg
    Last edited by Mick-7; 09-22-2024 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    The C2? It's a major chord.

Actually, I just found another chart in which it is called C(add9) so I suppose this new chart solves the riddle but raises new ones, e.g., the G/A in the first measure of the old chart is now called an Am7(add 4), which is quite different - but all of this could probably be cleared up by listening to Glen Campbell. Jimmy Webb wrote some cool chord changes.
    There's a youtube video of Glen Campbell playing it solo, on the Craig Kilborn show. He just plays a Csus2, going and forth with a Bb major triad at the 10th fret. There's even a good shot of his hands.

User Info Menu

I mean the letter ‘i’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar View Post

Yea I think it's just 'i'. Whoever hand wrote this charts has a daytime job prolly a doctor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    I haven't seen this "C2" chord notation on a common lead sheet, apparently it's a C add9 (C-E-G-D). Somewhat odd in that they notated the G add9 as G/A. The tune is Wichita Lineman.
    The string figure in that part of the song was supposedly composed by Carol Kaye in the studio but it's almost identical to the one that runs through Nights in White Satin from the previous year. An unconscious memory perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    The string figure in that part of the song was supposedly composed by Carol Kaye in the studio but it's almost identical to the one that runs through Nights in White Satin from the previous year. An unconscious memory perhaps?
    I had to go and listen to both. I hear what you're talking aboput. Something must have been in the air.

One sounds like "heavenly clouds of regret" and the other one sounds like "atmospheric radio static rippling thru a longing heart."

In the Moody Blues I hear mellotrons (choir, flute and string settings?) while I hear a real orchestra in Wichita Lineman. I know there is also an electronic theater organ set to "funny" or "sci-fi," per Jimmy Webb. During the "still on the line" Csus2 BbMaj part there's a soft attack flute that reminds me of a distant morse code thru a fog.

edit: I'm wrong about the mellotrons! On the back of the Moody Blues album it says "with the London Festival Orchestra"
    Last edited by supersoul; Today at 09:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Whoever hand wrote this charts has a daytime job prolly a doctor.
    Agreed, but I'd say there are 2 authors then. The doctor, and then a pharmacist who scribbled his or her interpretation above the hieroglyphs