The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Hi,

These aren't perfectly smooth but give a listen and tell me what you think. Here's the fingerings.

Steve Montgomery
    Attached Images Attached Images What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-all-clusters-1-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-all-clusters-2-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-all-clusters-3-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-all-clusters-4-001-jpg 
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Montgomery; 01-27-2015 at 10:02 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Close-voicing 7th chord inversions?

User Info Menu

Actually, some are and some aren't. They're just a variety of chord clusters. None have the root in the bass. Here's the fingerings I used for two hands. These go to my arrangement of part of Cherokee.
    Attached Images Attached Images What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-cherry-tree-1-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-cherry-tree-2-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-cherry-tree-3-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-cherry-tree-4-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-cherry-tree-5-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-cherry-tree-6-001-jpg 
    Last edited by Steve Montgomery; 01-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Cluster Pluck!

User Info Menu

Here's some "pandiatonic" chords with the beginning of the melody of "Giant Steps" as the the top pitches. I sent a copy of it to John McLaughlin. He said, "To say the least, your chord structures are very interesting. I have no idea how you can get this harp-like quality on the guitar. On listening, I would imagine that your work will take you into the realm of composition as opposed to the analysis and re-synthesis of existing harmonic movement, though these two aspects are closely related. In any event keep up the good work and thanks."
    Attached Images Attached Images What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-giant-steps-chord-exploration-1-p-1-001-jpg What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-giant-steps-chord-exploration-1-p-2-001-jpg 

User Info Menu

There is no such thing as a difficult chord for me anymore since my surgical procedure:

What are some really hard Chord shapes to play?-img_1690-jpg

User Info Menu

Great picture! Is that your real hair?

User Info Menu

If you haven't checked out Ted Greene's "V-System" of organizing all possible 4-note voicings for chords it's well worth the read. It opens up new territory in one's chordal thinking.
    "V" stands for "voicing group," and there's 14 of them....some will be familiar, some new.
    TedGreene.com - Teachings - V-System

Some of the really tough voicings are the later ones: V-11, V-12, and V-14 chords:
    http://www.tedgreene.com/images/less...Inversions.pdf
    http://www.tedgreene.com/images/less...Inversions.pdf
    http://www.tedgreene.com/images/less...nversionss.pdf

Yes, there are more difficult voicings than these, but as a whole system or group, to play these chords regularly is a mighty tall order!