Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    I thought the CY's had solid tops but lammie backs & sides. ICBW. (Nonetheless, they ARE nice guitars.)
    Woody, it's possible that I'm making an incorrect assumption about the back & sides. I'll have to investigate. None the less, It's a very nice guitar and perfect for my purposes.

DS71, try a Kremona pickup in your current guitar. At $70, and with no alterations needed, it may be just what you're looking for.

I've been using the Kremona NG-1 on my Yamaha GC31C . I was surprised by the very transparent tone despite the very low cost.

Will

You don’t have to buy a ‘jazz guitar’ to play jazz. Jazz is a style not an instrument. I play jazz on a classical guitar as do plenty of other guitarists. Ralph Towner doesn’t seem to struggle playing jazz on a classical guitar. In fact, it makes a refreshing change hearing him play standards on a classical guitar over the regular jazz boxes. I’m not sure if labelling styles of music is helpful anyhow, there is just good and bad music in my book. Historically, labels were utilised by early radio broadcasters as a way to define audiences for different channels.

A lot of people say they don’t like classical although like modern orchestral film scores. Some don’t like jazz although probably like a number of II-V-I structure songs in which the musicians may well have improvised a solo or comping (who doesn’t like the theme tunes to The Flintstones!).

My advice is play an instrument you like the sound of and listen to a wide range of music. You will learn bits from all over the place and will hopefully develop your own style of playing from this. Focus on ‘jazz’ if you want to but don’t become preoccupied with common expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by stringmaster View Post
    While I'm not really a jazz or classical player, I'm really smitten with my recently acquired nylon string Dupont MCC50 (solid rosewood/spruce) Maccaferri style guitar. This is built like the original Maccaferri, that is fan braced and lightly built like a classical. The neck width is just shy of a typical classical guitar, and the fingerboard is flat (unlike most crossover guitars that have a narrower nut and fingerboard radius). I find the guitar to be very responsive and versatile. I can hit it with a pick, or bare fingers and it sounds great. It is very sensitive to different strings which I'm still experimenting with. I use it primarily for folk, western, and swing. I think it would be a very nice jazz/bossa/classical instrument--the cutaway could be a plus for jazz. They are kind of hard to find but you might see if you can try one out. Here's an example of one similar to mine (I believe this one is laminated):

I have D hole sel-mac the's just great for finger style jazz. It has a wide neck and a tone somewhere between an arch top and a nylon string. It also sounds good with a pick. I use Savarez Argentines on it. It's just a Saga/Gitane, but it's a good one.

Django kind of gave Sel-mac guitars a bad name. They're really versatile and can do a lot more than the gypsy thing

Quote Originally Posted by CP40Carl View Post
    You don’t have to buy a ‘jazz guitar’ to play jazz. Jazz is a style not an instrument. I play jazz on a classical guitar as do plenty of other guitarists. Ralph Towner doesn’t seem to struggle playing jazz on a classical guitar. In fact, it makes a refreshing change hearing him play standards on a classical guitar over the regular jazz boxes. I’m not sure if labelling styles of music is helpful anyhow, there is just good and bad music in my book. Historically, labels were utilised by early radio broadcasters as a way to define audiences for different channels.

A lot of people say they don’t like classical although like modern orchestral film scores. Some don’t like jazz although probably like a number of II-V-I structure songs in which the musicians may well have improvised a solo or comping (who doesn’t like the theme tunes to The Flintstones!).

My advice is play an instrument you like the sound of and listen to a wide range of music. You will learn bits from all over the place and will hopefully develop your own style of playing from this. Focus on ‘jazz’ if you want to but don’t become preoccupied with common expectations.
    I think you missed the point.

I want to upgrade my classical guitar . Something nicer than what I have at the moment.

I play all styles on all types of guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by DS71 View Post
    I think you missed the point.

I want to upgrade my classical guitar . Something nicer than what I have at the moment.

I play all styles on all types of guitars.
    Oh good! (Sorry, late night post here in UK and intended response was to other general discussion points). First post in a while - think I’d better use my time practising the guitar!
    Last edited by CP40Carl; 11-07-2018 at 04:13 AM.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed