The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Nice one Lawson!

We are doing Jeff's Time After Time arrangement for the next two weeks.

There's a new thread for that tune so am hoping that you can join us there.

By practicing and recording these tunes we can only improve.
    I plan to join in. My problem with HTRD is that I've played it on my own for 35 years or so and didn't particularly like the Arnold arrangement--stuck in my own ways I suppose. Nothing against the arrangement, probably just my liking my own.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd kinda like to hear a stab at someone improvising some simple single-note lines over the changes of this. I now it's out of the purview of the thread, but I'd welcome hearing someone walking through how to make the changes in an improvisational approach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I love the tune and already have several clips of my own take on it, but I haven't gotten to learning the Arnold arrangement yet. I love making these clips and hope to do the Arnold this week. I can always post simply a take of me just playing it like I do sitting on the sofa or wherever, but it would not contribute to our discussion of the Arnold arrangement.

Here's one I did with a very "minor" feel
    Jeez, Lawson, that was an upbeat take on the tune!

Apparently not only is it a rainy (and gloomy) day but the dog came in sopping wet and shook himself off right next to your favorite guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    I'd kinda like to hear a stab at someone improvising some simple single-note lines over the changes of this. I now it's out of the purview of the thread, but I'd welcome hearing someone walking through how to make the changes in an improvisational approach.
    On Rainy Day? Within the chord melody or separate from it? I could do that. Still having technical problems recording but I hope to solve them soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Jeez, Lawson, that was an upbeat take on the tune!

Apparently not only is it a rainy (and gloomy) day but the dog came in sopping wet and shook himself off right next to your favorite guitar!

On Rainy Day? Within the chord melody or separate from it? I could do that. Still having technical problems recording but I hope to solve them soon.
    Actually the words to this song are quite gloomy and I have heard it played as a minor fairly often. But this was done more as a joking around exercise because I realized how weak I was at subbing over minor progressions.
    As for improv, I'd love to hear anything. Improvisation in a chord-melody sort of format, or just some lines over the changes. This tune has one of the more interesting chord sequences among standards, and I think it's rather fun.

User Info Menu

Now that I've got my Zoom recorder Zoomin', I will post my rendition of Here's that Rainy Day.

Lawson, are you saying that you find it difficult to improvise over the changes of this tune? Improvising on the melody is a good way to manage that, I could post a recording that illustrates that approach?