The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 98

User Info Menu

At the start of December I bought a Loar LH700 (NGD Loar LH 700 VS). The plan was always to put a DeArmond on in order to have my swing guitar – I just love that sound (and more broadly ‘50s single coil) above all other jazz guitar sounds.

I found a DeArmond FHC in Italy that looked good and was at a decent price (… not low, but decent). After getting in touch with the seller, who seemed to be a nice chap, I took the plunge. It arrived yesterday in my mail. I mounted it, tested it, then made a bit more of set-up today. It sounds (and looks) great on my Loar… There are wonderful sounds to be had in there!

I still have much to learn about it though. It’s really hot – much hotter than I thought. I had to set it way lower than the suggested 1/16’’ – more like 3-4/16’' – and unless I go for a Charlie Christian-style saturated sound, I have to plug it the “low” input of my BF Tremolux (… which is a very clean amp and just won’t break up at 10 with Fender-style single-coils).

The pickup, together with the Loar, has a great swing guitar voice along all the spectrum of gain, from very clean to saturated. I can easily pay visits to Charlie, Remo and Barney… With monel .13s, no issue of string balance so far.

I’ve tried different placements between end-of-fretboard and 24th harmonic, and so far the one I like best seems to be right up at the end of the fretboard.

I’ll have to put a pickguard on the guitar, mainly to avoid the pickup from “falling off” slightly from the right alignment when I play. For now, painter tape at the butt-end of the fretboard, without even touching the top, seems to do the trick.

I’ve also done some detective work as to exact model and dating. It has the two black slots/insets, so I am guessing that it should be a FHC-B model (?).

As to dating, the little tab on the side shows “3” as the second digit, but the first digit is alas unreadable. From the little I could learn about DeA pickups, the stamping and the “clear ice-cube knob” should place it in the 50s or at the latest in the early ‘60s… so perhaps a ’53 or at the latest a ’63 (but other DeA pickups such as Rhythm Chief and 1100 already had different knobs by then from what I can see…). I’ve written to musicpickups.com to see if they have any indications…

None of this is really important. I like the pickup+guitar combination very much now, and I’m sure that I can still make huge improvements on the way I use it. It looks like my “swing guitar+floater” quest is over for now – I just have to play! Tomorrow evening I’ll test it at a Trad Jazz / Swing jam (… a bit of a bold move but who cares).

If any of you has any suggestions on the use of those little tone-machines, I’m all ears of course!

DeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-3981591-jpgDeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-img_4373-jpgDeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-img_4377-jpgDeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-img_4379-jpgDeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-3981588-jpgDeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-img_4382-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Outstanding! You don't waste time! How's it sound with the GM?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Outstanding! You don't waste time! How's it sound with the GM?
    Ha! I don’t! It was all carefully planned (BOUHAHAHAHAHA…).

It took me a moment to figure out GM= GuitarMike. It sounds great. After some set-up work, I had almost used all my guitar time, but I manage to have fun on “I have a new baby” and the feeling of producing that sound was great and very, very inspirational … I guess that’s what good gear is about: inspiring and enabling you!

User Info Menu

I am officially very jealous!!! Bet it sounds great I am looking for one for my 51' Gibson Super 300 acoustic archtop

Will

User Info Menu

Radiofm74, I compared yours to mine. Mine says Mod FHC-C
    Dearmond
    U.S. Pat 2,455,046
    H.N.Rowe & Co.inc
    Toledo,O U.S.A.
    My knob is clear also but with a smaller top. Wires seem to be the same. I would take it that mine is a newer model with the Pat #. I didn't take off the tab cover. Good luck with her. I'd love to hear her when you get a chance.

User Info Menu

Nice looking rig! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

FYI: I have a Loar LH700 with a vintage Rhythm Chief 1000 and a '35 Gibson L-7 with a '44 FHC GM. In both cases, the setting are about the same as yours -- 3-4 16th on an inch between strings and the top of the pickup. The setting with the '44 FHC GM is actually a tad lower than with the RC1000. Either way, they sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    I am officially very jealous!!! Bet it sounds great I am looking for one for my 51' Gibson Super 300 acoustic archtop

Will
    It does sound great, if that sound is what you’re after. There seem to be quite a few on the market 200-400$. I’m sure your Gibson deserves one!

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Radiofm74, I compared yours to mine. Mine says Mod FHC-C
    Dearmond
    U.S. Pat 2,455,046
    H.N.Rowe & Co.inc
    Toledo,O U.S.A.
    My knob is clear also but with a smaller top. Wires seem to be the same. I would take it that mine is a newer model with the Pat #. I didn't take off the tab cover. Good luck with her. I'd love to hear her when you get a chance.
    Hi, thanks! From what I’ve seen, those markings and the ‘tapered’ clear knob would indicate a mid ‘60s pickup. But I am no reliable expert. You may take the little black tab cover off and check… it’s no big deal. I’d be curious to know actually!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Nice looking rig! Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Will do my best, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    FYI: I have a Loar LH700 with a vintage Rhythm Chief 1000 and a '35 Gibson L-7 with a '44 FHC GM. In both cases, the setting are about the same as yours -- 3-4 16th on an inch between strings and the top of the pickup. The setting with the '44 FHC GM is actually a tad lower than with the RC1000. Either way, they sound great.
    That’s very useful. I will certainly experiment a bit more – different felt tabs, and perhaps I’ll take the action from 2.75 to 3 mm (when I strum hard, strings slap a bit).

Best!

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    PS: of course I meant with string depressed at the last fret. I guess same for you?

User Info Menu

I have the Rhythm Chief 1000 on my 1961 L-7C..... love the thing!

User Info Menu

I bought a brand new, NOS DeArmond FHC in box in 1975. It was made in the 60s. It remains one of the best pickups I ever used. Period.

User Info Menu

YES, truly a dream machine! Now you need to sell the Tremolux and cab and get you one of these:

Elektra Amplifiers Europe Main Page on Strikingly

...or maybe one of these:

VA-185G

Well, of course you don't "need" to, but just sayin'...

DeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-587ce1bc5a1c47ffb42286f32c8acb9d_vyco7s-jpg

DeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-01-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    YES, truly a dream machine! Now you need to sell the Tremolux and cab and get you one of these:

Elektra Amplifiers Europe Main Page on Strikingly

...or maybe one of these:

VA-185G

Well, of course you don't "need" to, but just sayin'...

DeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-587ce1bc5a1c47ffb42286f32c8acb9d_vyco7s-jpg

DeArmond FHC Guitar Mike just arrived-01-jpg
    I doubt I’ll ever want to part with my Trem, and if I do it would probably be for another Backface… BUT I’ve had my eyes on those for quite a while (and on small tweeds). So I guess my only strategy is to stay put with the guitars I have (I’m happy right now), stop buying guitar courses compulsively, and save up for a couple MORE amps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    I doubt I’ll ever want to part with my Trem, and if I do it would probably be for another Backface… BUT I’ve had my eyes on those for quite a while (and on small tweeds). So I guess my only strategy is to stay put with the guitars I have (I’m happy right now), stop buying guitar courses compulsively, and save up for a couple MORE amps
    Always good to have a plan. I diverge from my need to save bigger chunks of cash by buying courses and accessories myself, a habit I've gotta get under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Always good to have a plan. I diverge from my need to save bigger chunks of cash by buying courses and accessories myself, a habit I've gotta get under control.
    The trick I have with myself has been to say: you can’t buy a new course until you’ve exhausted the possibilities of those (books and Truefire) you have alrready bought. If I stick to this rule, I might never buy another course again

User Info Menu

We most definitely are on the same page. Enjoy the hell out of that gorgeous guitar and DeArmond!

User Info Menu

IIRC, those bigger pickups have more bass response than the smaller ones. Yes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    IIRC, those bigger pickups have more bass response than the smaller ones. Yes?
    Yes, the FHC is more mid and bass heavy than the Rhythm Chief, which is more neutral and acoustic sounding. The FHC was too muddy on one of my guitars but just perfect on my '46 Epiphone Triumph.

User Info Menu

Wow congrats on the guitar coming together, and that rig is outstanding. Tweed and BF Tremoluxes, though incredibly different in sound, are both very underrated Fender amps. I have one myself though, so I might be a little biased (tube pun dad joke not intended)......

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Wow congrats on the guitar coming together, and that rig is outstanding. Tweed and BF Tremoluxes, though incredibly different in sound, are both very underrated Fender amps. I have one myself though, so I might be a little biased (tube pun dad joke not intended)......
    Much appreciated nonetheless And yes, I really love my Tremolux, and the fact that it’s a head (and sounds good no matter what you put it through) makes the whole guitar+amp thing a lot more practical for me. I usually take it along for practice.

PS: thanks for the kind words on the rig!

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Yes, the FHC is more mid and bass heavy than the Rhythm Chief, which is more neutral and acoustic sounding. The FHC was too muddy on one of my guitars but just perfect on my '46 Epiphone Triumph.
    Good to know. I think I got what I would have wanted – I am after that fat, round, at times raw (and at times very clean) single coil sound from the ‘30s-‘50s greats...

User Info Menu

I've got the same Dearmond Guitar Mike you bought. I've never tried it on my D'A, but after trying the Guild Repro of the RC-1100, and being disappointed that it wasn't the same as the original, maybe I'll try using the Guitar Mike.I've always wondered which Dearmond pickup Johnny Smith used on his D'A...