The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

As some of you know already (thanks for all the good advice!) I was in the market for my “swing guitar”, and I had decided for a <1000€ acoustic archtop + floating pickup.

I have met some interesting guitars along the way, including an old Höfner (laminate, but big-bodied) that I liked a lot, but sadly had too many issues. Last week I met the seller of what was advertised as a LH600. I never thought I’d walk away with the guitar there and then… I had plans to try many more.

When he pulled it out of the gig-bag I was quite impressed with how beautiful it was. Gulp! Then I went and made sure what model it was: the label said LH700. Second gulp… the price was good for a LH600, but it was a bargain for a 700… So I thought there must be some issue, and checked it to the best of my abilities from head to toe, looking out in particular for those dreaded Loar flaws… shallow neck angle, bad fretwork, etc. I find nothing of the kind. I even like the V-neck a lot. The only thing I find (later!) is that the owner has drilled three holes in the headstock because he did not like the truss-rod cover (grr…).

The one problem, however, is that it’s got a nice voice but is sooo quiet. And as I play it, I find lots of buzzing. Hmmm… But then I realize it’s got the ‘wrong’ strings for what I want it to do: very low tension Galli black nylon. Long story short, it’s such a bargain, and the guitar is so beautiful and in such a good shape, that I decide that it might just be a problem of strings and setup and go for it.

One string change later (Martin 'Tony Rice’ monel strings, 13s), and one loving set-up later, I am very happy. It’s a beautiful guitar, it’s got the tone I wanted for 4-to-bar, I can solo without difficulty (… that is, without more difficulty than usual!). And it’s loud! The luthier I took it to for a quick look said that everything looks good, and that with a little work on the frets (I don’t know exactly what he meant, but I guess leveling) it can give its best.

Knowing that 700s usually come with a case, and 600s with a gigbag, I check the serial with the Loar, and they confirm it’s a 700. Good!

Now I have an old DeArmond FHC in the mail, and can’t wait for it to arrive. There will be another thread for that one, if all goes well.

I do have a question though: will a ‘monkey on a stick’ pickup move around and bump into the strings and body without a pickguard to “anchor” it? If so, would you use some painter’s tape or putty to keep it still, or do you think it’d ruin the finish of the top? I might get around to installing a pickguard in January, but I want to be able to play the thing NOW!

Loar LH 700 VS-img_4299-jpg
    Loar LH 700 VS-img_4306-jpg
    Loar LH 700 VS-img_4307-jpg
    Loar LH 700 VS-img_4308-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a beautiful guitar, for sure! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

The LH700 is a great guitar, and under-priced for what they are. One look at the headstock and brass fittings identifies it. Never any buzzing, or a fret dress required for the '700 I own. They are loud, yes. Congrats on your find!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The LH700 is a great guitar, and under-priced for what they are. One look at the headstock and brass fittings identifies it. Never any buzzing, or a fret dress required for the '700 I own. They are loud, yes. Congrats on your find!
    HA! That’s funny, I had looked at pictures of 600s and 700s to spot some obvious visual difference and had completely missed the headstock thing!

User Info Menu

String height looks tight for a dearmond. If it fits, the stick and cable will keep it from flopping around.

User Info Menu

Lovely and, yep, I think she's crying out for an ol' timey tortoise shell pickguard.
    Last edited by darkwaters; 12-06-2017 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

I have an FHC, it does tend to move a little bit if you don't have a pickguard. Your guitar deserves a proper 20's L5 pickguard. Check out this one. I ordered an Epiphone style pickguard from them, was a good deal and good quality.

Gibson L-5 archtop guitar pickguard tortoise shell w/ 3-ply binding 1924-1929 | fox-guitars.com

Loar LH 700 VS-screen-shot-2017-12-06-5-48-12-pm-jpg

User Info Menu

+1 on Paul Fox pickguard. I have a custom-built lefty pickguard on my lefty LH700. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    String height looks tight for a dearmond. If it fits, the stick and cable will keep it from flopping around.
    Thank you all for your replies. If the total string clearance I need is 1/2’’ or ?15 mm, I’ll have plenty and to spare. I checked it before buying.

From what you all say, it should work fine without a pickguard although with perhaps a little bit of wiggling. That is: until I give it the nice pickguard you all suggest

User Info Menu

RadioFM74,
    These are fantastic guitars. I remember playing one at Mandolin Brothers many years ago and was very impressed with the acoustic volume and balance. Do enjoy ....you made a wise decision at that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    RadioFM74,
    These are fantastic guitars. I remember playing one at Mandolin Brothers many years ago and was very impressed with the acoustic volume and balance. Do enjoy ....you made a wise decision at that price point.
    Thanks! I really think so too especially since my price point, in the end, has been 500€, half of what it costs new!

User Info Menu

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the FHC. I love that pickup. Very unique tone, definitely not inferior to--although very different from--the Rhythm Chief. Chris Flory gets an incredible sound out of his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    Thank you all for your replies. If the total string clearance I need is 1/2’’ or ?15 mm, I’ll have plenty and to spare. I checked it before buying.

From what you all say, it should work fine without a pickguard although with perhaps a little bit of wiggling. That is: until I give it the nice pickguard you all suggest
    For reassurance, when I briefly owned a 600, I measured to see if my DeArmond "Guitar Mike" pickup would fit, and while I never actually did that installation, it definitely would have fit.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    For reassurance, when I briefly owned a 600, I measured to see if my DeArmond "Guitar Mike" pickup would fit, and while I never actually did that installation, it definitely would have fit.
    Thank you Jeff, I can’t wait for mine to arrive! The vid above is very nice. This one is also a beautiful example of a FHC in action

I also found out that the great Remo Palmieri used one in his 1944 sessions with Teddy Wilson…

User Info Menu

I have/use an old DeArmond "Guitar Mic" which I use on my 51 L4CN w/o pickguard, and works fine.

I want to be J. Stout when I grow up (now 61) That guy has more fun than humanly possible with that cool band.

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    I have/use an old DeArmond "Guitar Mic" which I use on my 51 L4CN w/o pickguard, and works fine.

I want to be J. Stout when I grow up (now 61) That guy has more fun than humanly possible with that cool band.
    Great! And you don't need any tape or putty or anything?

I want to be J Stout as well!!!! That's why I got me the Loar and guitar mic!!! I'll open the "Stout wannabe Campus Club"! If you want to be a member, subscriptions are open

User Info Menu

Here's an article on DeArmond archtop pickups that you might enjoy:

VintageArchtop.com

User Info Menu

As one can see when Jonathon puts the guitar back on the stand, that's a Charlie Christian pickup, not a DeArmond.

Posted wrong video in haste. This is the one I intended. Certified by JS himself to have been played with his DeA Guitar Mic

Great tone, and more importantly great playing!
    Last edited by radiofm74; 12-07-2017 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Enjoy your guitar! I have gigged an LH600 pretty heavily, and with a Krivo Django-bucker it makes a pretty cool gigging machine.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Enjoy your guitar! I have gigged an LH600 pretty heavily, and with a Krivo Django-bucker it makes a pretty cool gigging machine.
    Thanks Christian! I’ve followed your posts with the LH600 and they were one of the motivating factors to check Loars out!

User Info Menu

Congrats, would love to try one some day. Beautiful.

Now it has its companion pickup: a DeArmond FHC (DeArmond FHC “Guitar Mike” just arrived).

I am very happy

Loar LH 700 VS-img_4377-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-img_4375-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-img_4382-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-img_4383-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes!!!

User Info Menu

One thing about my Loar that I've noticed.... The guitar plays in, wakes up. I honestly think some of that vintage tone you hear in old archtops comes from old wood that's been played in over the years.... Anyway, mine has certainly matured in the 4 or so years I've had it....