The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    o.k, what do you call them?
    In the way that I look at harmony, for example, C6 is not a chord. It's a voicing of a Cmaj type chord. That type of the chord could be a I chord or a IV chord.
    A min7 is a voicing of a different type of chord. Again it could be one of the many type of minor chords. It depends on the context.

Most chords have non-disjoint set of voicings that one could use. Sometimes voicings are partial and sound ambiguous unless they are used in tandem with other moving voicings or basslines. But sometimes ambiguous is also welcome.

If voicings aren't distinguished from chords, than one could argue that the major scale has only two chords, I chord and a V chord. As every other chord can be voiced as a different voicings of I or V chords. But of course there is more nuance to the major scale harmony.

That's just how I look at harmony. Chords are abstract. Voicings are more fluid realizations of chords in specific contexts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"As every other chord can be voiced as a different voicing of I or V chords."

In formal harmonic theory, the three basic chord functions are tonic (major or minor), subdominant (also major or minor), and Dominant. And as I recall, Joe Pass'es three categories were major, minor and dominant sounding chords.

But for fret-board mapping purposes, it is advantageous to know chord synonyms, especially if you use many different voicings.