The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

How did it evolved in jazz that the melodic minor scale is played the same way ascending or descending, that is, when descending the 6th and 7th notes are not flatted but raised as in when ascending?
    Thank you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Because rules are tools for fools

Most basic answer is that in jazz, the scale is not only used for melody, but harmony.

This is why Christian and I have started a petition to call the scale "jazz minor."

User Info Menu

The notes are more easily sung that way; half steps and leading tones. That tradition, as a choral tradition, became assimilated as a sound and once it became part of the compositional canon, it was perpetuated not merely for singing, but for instrumental music, but not to the degree nor the function that it does in jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    This is why Christian and I have started a petition to call the scale "jazz minor."
    With so many youthful wunderkind into the scene these days, we need firm rules to be set as a good example for all those "jazz minors".

User Info Menu

As the others say, the same up and down mel m is called the jazz minor but that doesn't answer the question in the thread title.

My handy answer to that is: the mel m played in the classical manner sounds very balanced when played stepwise up and then down. But that doesn't apply in jazz.

The jazz minor is merely a set of notes which is basically a scale to itself distinct from others Thus you have a set of notes which can be played in several different ways to produce its own sound. Like this.

Except he doesn't like the term 'jazz minor' God knows why not :-)

User Info Menu

But I've always seen it referred to in books from way back as the jazz minor. That's definitely not new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voyage View Post
    How did it evolved in jazz that the melodic minor scale is played the same way ascending or descending, that is, when descending the 6th and 7th notes are not flatted but raised as in when ascending?
    Thank you.
    Cause they wanted to punish me for practicing the Segovia Scales for the last 40 years, every freaking day, at 320bpm through the cycle of fourths and the cycle of Fifths.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    But I've always seen it referred to in books from way back as the jazz minor. That's definitely not new.
    Oh you're absolutely correct...it's just a recent joke

Because rules are tools for fools

Most basic answer is that in jazz, the scale is not only used for melody, but harmony.

You and Charlie Christian? You play beyond the veil?

User Info Menu

This. In jazz, mm isn't only about the contour of the melody, it's also about the tonality of those raised notes against the (minor) chord.

User Info Menu

Classical composers do use the ascending form descending over a V chord. Have a squizz at some Bach for instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Look at the given name of the poster in #11 above.

User Info Menu

I mean quite a few of us do after a fashion…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk