The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

So, I've been looking at Afternoon in Paris the last couple of days, and there's a peculiarity w some of the Real/Fake book lead sheets. The first A section have a little melody line in the last two bars - in several sheets i've found, this isn't notated, instead you get a whole note and a rest, like in the first page below. Yet, the versions I've heard all seem to have the line, like in the second page below. Is the Real/Fake book verion transcribed from a recording I've yet to hear, is it that the the line is thought too immaterial, or that "everybody know it's there no need to write it down", or what is the reason it's not in the sheet music?

Stupid Real Book question - Afternoon In Paris-afternoon-1-png
    Stupid Real Book question - Afternoon In Paris-afternoon-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The recording is always right.

For what it's worth, John Lewis does it sometimes where he plays the melody without that, but there will be a saxophone or something playing an approximation of that line as a counter-melody.

So that might be part of it ... someone who transcribed it didn't consider that to be "the melody" and that version ended up in the real book. Who knows.

User Info Menu

As you say in your thread title, it's just "Stupid Real Book" -- the Aebersold you posted has the correct line as does this sheet from the Colorado Cookbook:

Stupid Real Book question - Afternoon In Paris-afternoon-paris-jpg

User Info Menu

That's an interesting one.

It seems at some point lyrics were written to this tune...the vocal versions that use those lyrics don't have that little flourish that was clearly there, right from the beginning. Also, almost nobody sings these words, they do the Anita O'Day version, a scat/vocalese version with different words, and she DOES do that little melody line.

I've actually never played this tune...but it definitely seems that bit at the end of the A section SHOULD be there.

User Info Menu

I play the real book version and it sounds ok to me....

User Info Menu

Another odd thing about that old Real Book chart is that it says the source recording is the MJQ at the Music Inn. (Not visible in the OP but you can see it below).

As far as I can make out, there were 2 volumes of this record (I have the one with Sonny Rollins) but neither of them feature this tune!

Stupid Real Book question - Afternoon In Paris-img_1032-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    So, I've been looking at Afternoon in Paris the last couple of days, and there's a peculiarity w some of the Real/Fake book lead sheets.
    That's the problem right there. Never mind Real book charts, how many versions have you listened to? And how many have the additional line? If hardly any, that's your answer. Because nobody uses it.

User Info Menu

I hear that additional line in most versions, actually.

User Info Menu

Pcjazz posted above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Another odd thing about that old Real Book chart is that it says the source recording is the MJQ at the Music Inn. (Not visible in the OP but you can see it below).

As far as I can make out, there were 2 volumes of this record (I have the one with Sonny Rollins) but neither of them feature this tune!
    That’s interesting — I have a RB chart that attributes it to Sonny Stitt, Genesis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Pcjazz posted above.
    So he's complaining that the RB sheet doesn't have the line in the A/1 section that other sheets have and most performers play, is that it? So use them, not the RB. What's the fuss about?

User Info Menu

That little line’s my favourite bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    So he's complaining that the RB sheet doesn't have the line in the A/1 section that other sheets have and most performers play, is that it? So use them, not the RB. What's the fuss about?
    It's hardly a fuss, just curiosity as to why there would be differences in the sheet music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    It's hardly a fuss, just curiosity as to why there would be differences in the sheet music.
    Because not all of them are the same. In any case, the unreliability of the old RB is legendary, although in this case I don't think it's just a misreading. That line is significant and I think their leaving it out is also significant. For them at that time, I mean.

Perhaps it was never included in some original version by the composer but other players liked to fill the space. Perhaps Lewis submitted the sheet music without that line but played it on his recording, so it was henceforth included in publications. Hell, I don't know!

Sorry, I'm not very good at speculations.

User Info Menu

I have to say I've just listened to quite a few versions now and it's not true that everybody does it, quite the contrary. Some play that line as it appears on the sheets, others do their own kind of pick-up to the next section, others just play a 3 or 4 beat note. I was going to list them out but I haven't time, maybe later.

By versions I don't mean anybody, I'm only talking well-known jazz players. So that line is certainly not set in stone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I have to say I've just listened to quite a few versions now and it's not true that everybody does it, quite the contrary. Some play that line as it appears on the sheets, others do their own kind of pick-up to the next section, others just play a 3 or 4 beat note. I was going to list them out but I haven't time, maybe later.

By versions I don't mean anybody, I'm only talking well-known jazz players. So that line is certainly not set in stone.
    Yeah I think that’s more or less right. Some version of it is there more often than not, but a lot of the time it’s a sort of loose variation of it and a lot of the time it’s a counter melody while the long note is held out by another instrument.

So I imagine the way to go would be to play what works for you.

I honestly don’t think I play it most of the time. Just because I’m playing trio 99% of the time and it feels a bit cluttered if I’m just chunking away through all those eighth notes.

User Info Menu

I love this tune but a lot of people play the real book version which , apart from not having that little melodic phrase , is inaccurately transcribed , listen to the rhythm of the first phrase , as played by Sonny stitt and JJ Johnson on the first recording .

<font size="4"><span style="font-family:book antiqua;">

Also , the rhythmic feel of the whole line is v.subtle , almost straight 8s but not quite

Also , check John Lewis's v.quiet piano thr-r-rums on the second A

A small masterpiece , regularly butchered at jam sessions . So sad .

User Info Menu

Looks like it depends on the version rather than the player:

Benny Golson yes
    Sonny Rollins yes
    Sonny Stitt yes
    Kenny Burrell yes
    Milt Jackson/Benny Golson yes

Tommy Flanagan soundalike line
    Scott Hamilton piano does a soundalike fill

Kenny Drew chord fills
    John Lewis/Sacha Distel own fill

Scott Hamilton (another version) long note
    Emmet Cohen w. Lew Tabackin long note

User Info Menu

Jeff -

This might interest you. Go to 0.26

User Info Menu

Lastly, but not least, here's an interesting solo version by the man himself. It doesn't bear much resemblance to the tune as it now is but it's probably worth posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrTriangle View Post
    I love this tune but a lot of people play the real book version which , apart from not having that little melodic phrase , is inaccurately transcribed , listen to the rhythm of the first phrase , as played by Sonny stitt and JJ Johnson on the first recording .

Also , the rhythmic feel of the whole line is v.subtle , almost straight 8s but not quite

Ah well, it can’t thank its stars it’s not Blue Bossa…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I love this tune but a lot of people play the real book version which , apart from not having that little melodic phrase , is inaccurately transcribed...
    That being the fundamental problem of the Real Book up through the fifth edition.

Any time music is transcribed from a recording, there are going to be outright errors as well as different interpretations as to how to play a given melody or harmony.

User Info Menu

What a disturbing album cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    What a disturbing album cover.
    It was done by Don Martin, who was a cartoonist for ‘Mad’ magazine.

He also did this one:

Stupid Real Book question - Afternoon In Paris-img_1034-jpeg