The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

so i have been try to learn to sight read as of late and i started with what i beleave is a song somewhat simple Aint Misbehavin i have i have a chord meldy chart from Frank Vignola and coulduse some input.
    i aslo have some other charts i am wanting to understand why what apears to me the smaechord in the song has multipe names and other chord are sud they work but i am wantingto try and understand what is going on.
    if i post a section on the chart can you all help me analize this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You've come to the right place, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    thats what i was hoping i will copy some section from the PDF later tonight and post.
    thanks pan

User Info Menu

This is definitely the right place for analizing. Analyzing too.

User Info Menu

Yes, be careful what you ask for.

okay i will start here.
    first line i see
    Eb Edim Fm F#dim but on the second line i see
    Eb C7(b9) Fm7 Bb7
    so i was hoping to start with how is the F#dim now called a C7(b9)
    the Fm now a Fm7 same three notes?

next i will move to the chord chart after i get my mind around the i fear couding with to much at once LOL

Aint Misbehavin chord meldy theory help-aint-misbehavin-chord-melody-screen-shot-png

AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'

Key of Eb 4/4

[: Eb Edim | Fm7 F#dim | Eb G7 | Ab Abm |
    1._________________________
    | Eb C7 | Fm7 Bb7 | G7 C7 | F7 Bb7 :]
    2._____________________________
    | Eb Abm | Eb G7 | Cm | Ab7 |

| F7 | C7 | Bb | F7 |

| Bb7 C7 | F7 Bb7 || Eb Edim | Fm7 F#dim |

| Eb G7 | Ab Abm | Eb C7 | Fm7 Bb7 |

| Eb | Eb |

User Info Menu

Edim is the same chord as rootless C7b9. It's also sometimes called the diminished dominant.
    The chord voicing is the basic drop2 diminished. A diminished chord root can be any one of the roots. It's called E diminished in this case because it's leading to Fmin. It's customary to name a diminished chord with the leading note.
    Both C7 and Edim resolve to Fmin.
    These are just elementary diminished concepts. Nothing out of ordinary.

User Info Menu

Every diminished chord is also a rootless 7b9.

Whoever made this chart typed in the chords from a lead sheet and just so happened to use the same voicing for a Edim and a C7b9.

The second chord of this tune is often written as diminished a half step above the I...but if you listen to Fats Waller, well...
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 04-15-2024 at 06:43 AM.

the chord chart itself the bottom chart is from Ralph Patt site
    the staff is from a
    Frank Vignola did i am not sure that its franks work or someone else?

aside from what i am trying to understand i also dont see the Eb in bar 3 in my mind i am seeing a f#maj maybe ish?
    and i am not seeing the Eb7 as a Eb7 either? and looking at the chord chart i dont see it has a G7 either?
    i played it i think it sounds fine payed the as show on staff and the chord chart?

User Info Menu

I see what you're saying. The music and TAB is the same but the chord names are different.

I don't know why it's like that. Where did you find this chart?

I would never have called the first dim chord either Eo or C7b9 as it's notated. I can see the basic chord names make a nice chromatic run (Eb E F F#) but that's not really what's being played.

Some of the other chords too are completely wrongly named and fingered... I won't describe the whole thing. Personally, I'd throw away those chord names and just play the music.

Where did this chart come from?

User Info Menu

Don't answer this theoretically. That's the vanilla chart there and it's probably fine if you're playing chords. EbM7 - Eo - Fm7 - F#o is okay but it's NOT what the fingerings are.

And there more dreadful examples (C7 is fingered as CM7). Whoever published this garbage should be sued!

Edim is the same chord as rootless C7b9. It's also sometimes called the diminished dominant.
    The chord voicing is the basic drop2 diminished. A diminished chord root can be any one of the roots. It's called E diminished in this case because it's leading to Fmin. It's customary to name a diminished chord with the leading note.
    Both C7 and Edim resolve to Fmin.
    These are just elementary diminished concepts. Nothing out of ordinary.
    so no reason why its called a Edim then the next go around C7b9?
    what about the Fm being called a Fm then a Fm7?

User Info Menu

Pan60 -

Ignore the chord symbols, they're wrong. The arrangement seems okay, just play that. But beware some of the fingering, it's silly.

In fact forget it, find a good chart you can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I see what you're saying. The music and TAB is the same but the chord names are different.

I don't know why it's like that. Where did you find this chart?

I would never have called the first dim chord either Eo or C7b9 as it's notated. I can see the basic chord names make a nice chromatic run (Eb E F F#) but that's not really what's being played.

Some of the other chords too are completely wrongly named and fingered... I won't describe the whole thing. Personally, I'd throw away those chord names and just play the music.

Where did this chart come from?
    i replayed to your post but somehow its above your post?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
    i replayed to your post but somehow its above your post?
    I edited it before I saw any replies.

Don't try to figure this chart out, it's a waste of time. Get another one, a good one.

User Info Menu

so no reason why its called a Edim then the next go around C7b9?
    what about the Fm being called a Fm then a Fm7?
    In jazz there are many ways of playing and voicing a chord that's on the chart. The shown voicings are just some simple choices. Not even remotely adventurous or sophisticated.

I edited it before I saw any replies.

Don't try to figure this chart out, it's a waste of time. Get another one, a good one.
    thanks
    i have been using it to help me with site reading and can play it, it looked simpe i just could not understand the chord namimng
    i am working with a couple youtbube verstion i have showed down and i am trying to write them out?
    i should have been try to learn to read at 6 not 60

In jazz there are many ways of playing and voicing a chord that's on the chart. The shown voicings are just some simple choices. Not even remotely adventurous or sophisticated.
    i think the idea is that it is basic i chose it for that reason. : )
    i would like to find sond more adventurous but as i am not much for reading but i am trying to learn if i just wanted to learn the song i would just want to hear it then work out how i wanted to aproch playing it.
    and some stuff can be a challenge and i feel the fool not beeing able to read?

User Info Menu

i think the idea is that it is basic i chose it for that reason. : )
    i would like to find sond more adventurous but as i am not much for reading but i am trying to learn if i just wanted to learn the song i would just want to hear it then work out how i wanted to aproch playing it.
    and some stuff can be a challenge and i feel the fool not beeing able to read?
    I can see that it could be confusing that two identical voicings are called different names but Edim and C7b9 are practically synonymous in this context. Once you see enough charts, you won't be bothered by something like this.

User Info Menu

the chord chart itself the bottom chart is from Ralph Patt site
    the staff is from a Frank Vignola did i am not sure that its franks work or someone else?

aside from what i am trying to understand i also dont see the Eb in bar 3 in my mind i am seeing a f#maj maybe ish?
    and i am not seeing the Eb7 as a Eb7 either? and looking at the chord chart i dont see it has a G7 either?
    i played it i think it sounds fine payed the as show on staff and the chord chart?
    I agree, it's nice and simple, which is just like Frank Vignola. But some of the finger numbers are silly, like this:

Aint Misbehavin chord meldy theory help-x-jpg

Why would you go down from 6 to 3 then up to 10? Ridiculous. Play the G on 8, second string.

I agree, it's nice and simple, which is just like Frank Vignola. But some of the finger numbers are silly, like this:

Aint Misbehavin chord meldy theory help-x-jpg

Why would you go down from 6 to 3 then up to 10? Ridiculous. Play the G on 8, second string.
    i have been trying to avoid looking at he tab so i was playing the G at the eighth before i even noticed that and seeing the differant names started checking the tab which just led to more confusion.

User Info Menu

You obviously know more than the idiot who wrote the chart!

You obviously know more than the idiot who wrote the chart!
    well not sure about that.
    i would not be suprized if it wasnt some computer generated chart possible maybe ?
    i thought i was just missig some rule that said if its this call it that kinda thing?

User Info Menu

All I can think of is that maybe Vignola (or someone else) scribbled out the TAB by hand and the 8 looked like a 3 on an indeterminate line. And the printers misread it.

But that's just a theory and doesn't explain a lot of other stuff.

All I can think of is that maybe Vignola (or someone else) scribbled out the TAB by hand and the 8 looked like a 3 on an indeterminate line. And the printers misread it.

But that's just a theory and doesn't explain a lot of other stuff.
    i think some where i read or seen he was not doing these charts.
    but i am not a 100% sure i think he would have to have some involment but?
    at any rate excluding the name i would hope its fine for easing me into some site reading practice? i fear if its to complex i wont be able to follow.
    i have some old fake books i guess i should dig them out.