The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Yes, if you have the knowledge/confidence of your convictions to play what you know is better then there's no need to throw anything away. Why not?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi pan60,

I agree with others, those chords are not quite "there" and the TAB is not very "guitaristic".
    That different naming of the same chords seems to follow what a bass player might be thinking.

Yes, you should find a better version or make your own on how you hear it.
    I hear it more like this using four note chords, some quartal stacked fourths...

First line bass... Eb E F Gb G B Ab F

Ebmaj7
    Edim
    F7#9sus4 x8889x
    Gbdim
    G7#9sus4
    BM7b5 xx9101111
    Abmaj7
    F7sus2b5 x8988x

Second line bass... Eb C F Bb Db C B Bb

Ebmaj7
    C7#5
    Fm7
    Bb7
    F7sus2b5
    Em7sus2b5 x7878x
    Eb7sus2b5
    Dm7sus2b5

All these chords can be played on the middle four strings, I play BM7b5 on the high four strings to stay below the 12th fret. If playing alone, for the last four chords of the second line you may bounce on the bass notes for chord melody:

F7sus2b5/Db
    Em7sus2b5/C
    Eb7sus2b5/B
    Dm7sus2b5/Bb

I like to develop more than one version of a tune's harmony to have a range between minimal and lush; minimal for horn band and when accompanying advanced soloists who like to carry the harmonic development load without constraint, and lush for trio and more modest soloists to make them sound good as possible.
    Except for the occasional horn band, all my Jazz playing is with a trio (bass and drums), so unless I'm playing an intro, the head, octaves, accompanying the occasional bass or drum solo, or an ending, I am pretty much doing chord melody between and sometimes as soloing. Getting up a good version(s) of the tune is critical because of the interdependence of the melody and harmony.

Start with finding a good version to work with, then don't "follow the directions" (TAB) and make it your own. If you enjoy reading, score your own version(s) and ideas.

User Info Menu

Ain't Misbehavin' chart is in: New Real Book 2 & Real Book 3

User Info Menu

It's not about chord charts or lead sheets, it's about a chord melody arrangement.

User Info Menu

The tab was auto generated based on the notes "typed in."

This stuff happens all the time.

User Info Menu

There are quite a few options on Google...

ain't misbehaving chord melody guitar - Google Search

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    The tab was auto generated based on the notes "typed in."

This stuff happens all the time.
    Thanks, didn't know about that. But how can one tell? Because it's all messed up, I suppose :-)

User Info Menu

My understanding is that the OP is studying sight reading and can't care less about the tabs.

User Info Menu

So here's the whole story.

Someone arranged the tune. They input the notes into a music software that automatically generated the tab.

They then input the chord symbols above the staff based on what is commonly played. It does not match up perfectly with some of the chord voicings as played.

User Info Menu

No, he realised that the TAB didn't always make sense. It just boils down to getting a decently produced arrangement from somewhere and recognising and dismissing bad ones.

User Info Menu

Someone arranged the tune. They input the notes into a music software that automatically generated the tab.

They then input the chord symbols above the staff based on what is commonly played. It does not match up perfectly with some of the chord voicings as played.
    Not sure. I don't see any chord symbol that doesn't match up with the voicings. I mean yes in one place it says Fmin7 but doesn't play Eb but that's a solo arrangement of the tune, there is some freedom in how the harmony is realized. Most arrangements include partial voicings and moving chords with different extensions etc.

User Info Menu

In that case the first line should read:

| Eb Eo/G | Fm F#o/Ab | Bbm Eb7/Db | Ab6/Db B aug |

or something like that. For exactitude's sake, I suppose!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Not sure. I don't see any chord symbol that doesn't match up with the voicings. I mean yes in one place it says Fmin7 but doesn't play Eb but that's a solo arrangement of the tune, there is some freedom in how the harmony is realized. Most arrangements include partial voicings and moving chords with different extensions etc.
    Well, there's the Eb chord in bar 4 that has a b7 in it...I didn't squint to see if there were any further discrepancies, but you're really just saying exactly the same thing I was...

I mean, let's say you had a melody line of C Bb G F# F over a bar of Eb7... you harmonize it in block chords, you could write Eb13 Eb9 Eb7 Eb7#9 Eb9....but it's a lot cleaner just to write Eb7 above that bar...

Edit: Yeah, it happens again in bar 7, notation and tab agree this time on a B natural in a C chord, chord symbol says C7.

It's just not the best put together thing...fine to look at and come up with your own ideas for chord melody, maybe not so good for sight reading.

User Info Menu

I see that. So who publishes this garbage and gets money for it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I see that. So who publishes this garbage and gets money for it?
    Apparently Frank Vignola? Though I doubt he's the one who typed it out...

I don't see it as garbage at all, if used for it's intended purpose...

User Info Menu

Apparently Frank Vignola? Though I doubt he's the one who typed it out...

I don't see it as garbage at all, if used for it's intended purpose...
    Well, okay, but mostly beginners will use it and it's going to confuse them greatly if it's not accurate. And it's not accurate, which means they're selling sloppily checked, sloppily edited stuff and making money from it. The name Frank Vignola will certainly attract buyers. I call that bad news.

If it applied to something technical, like a machine or something where terms, functions and instructions mattered, then it would probably be subject to law, especially if it led to injurious accidents.

But it's only guitar music so...!

User Info Menu

I suppose...do we know this was even sold or just available for free? Sometimes you get what you pay for

User Info Menu

Whenever it gets called in gigs where I am it always seems to be

Eb Eo7 | Fm7 Bb7 | Eb Eb7 | Ab Abm6
    Eb/G Gbo7 | Fm7 Bb7 | Eb

Make of that what you will…

EDIT: sorry entirely irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I suppose...do we know this was even sold or just available for free? Sometimes you get what you pay for
    I don't know either but Frank has an awful lot of books out. There's definitely the Chord Melody Playbook which, I think, is a video. Instructional videos usually come with written material.

Where the OP got his image from I don't know. There's quite a lot I don't know :-)

not sure what they charge for the course but its not free this i got from a free trial i am sure it is designed for guys like me and intended to be very basic,

i have looked at trying to learn music theory as well as voice leading chord melody or chord voicing not a 100% the correct term here but in years past i have been discuraged because it would be so far over my head and every teacher i ever aproched was no more knowledgeable the myself or in many case no where as knowledgeable.
    i played clubs for year and years so i am want that next keval i always loved many types of jazz so here i am.

so i am looking at courses that frank has available.
    i have looked at others but i am not interested in soloing i am interested in the chords the theory and being able to sight read.
    i do have a pretty decent chord vocabulary just dont always see how the go together
    take this song i dont have a issue playing it i have a issue seeing whats written and a little memory work i can play it.
    i do not understad why the chord names are what they but aperinatly that not a concern with this piece as well i am not sure why ( and this is just a random eample ) why you would choose lats the the Edim and not some other E that would carry the melody is it potion or ? in years past i would listion and hear the dim and play it but that hasnot taught the why just in this land mark i can go here kinda move
    make sence?

remember i am very new to anything other the playing by ear i am no slouch by many a standar but i am no jazz guitarist ether that is where i want to be.

so if you guys and or gals have a better direction to go or look at i am all ears. i spend several hrs a day with a guitar in my hands.

User Info Menu

Ok, a lot to unpack there...

Sounds like you want to get better at a few things...I'll leave the sightreading answer to someone better at it, I can address the chord melody stuff because I've done a lot of that.

I think the real key is to learn the tune first, not someone's arrangement. Learn the chords, learn the melody. Use your ears when you can, look at lead sheets when not. Check against your ear...there's very often not "one way" to play these tunes, but if you listen to 10 versions and hear the same thing happening over and over, you can at least be pretty sure that's the "right track."

Once you know the tune, looking at an arrangement should help make the choices the arranger made make more sense. Like "Why E diminished?" Because that's how the song goes...

I don't know either but Frank has an awful lot of books out. There's definitely the Chord Melody Playbook which, I think, is a video. Instructional videos usually come with written material.

Where the OP got his image from I don't know. There's quite a lot I don't know :-)
    as mentioned i got it as a trial from a course?
    Attached Images Attached Images Aint Misbehavin chord meldy theory help-aint-misbehavin-chord-melody-screen-shot-1-png Aint Misbehavin chord meldy theory help-aint-misbehavin-chord-melody-screen-shot-2-png 

User Info Menu

I’m upset that he didn’t delete ‘Gtr’ or ‘Guitar’ from the beginning of each stave. Entirely unecessary taking up space for no reason. It upsets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
    i got from a free trial
    I'd go for something better if I were you.

so i am looking at courses that frank has available.
    This is the Frank Vignola chord melody course. It's not available anywhere else. Forget the free stuff, take a breath and buy it.

Jazz Chord Melody Playbook - Frank Vignola - Guitar Lessons - TrueFire

From everything you've said I've no doubt that you're dedicated and serious. I wish you every success and the best of luck. Go for it!

I'd go for something better if I were you.

This is the Frank Vignola chord melody course. It's not available anywhere else. Forget the free stuff, take a breath and buy it.

Jazz Chord Melody Playbook - Frank Vignola - Guitar Lessons - TrueFire

From everything you've said I've no doubt that you're dedicated and serious. I wish you every success and the best of luck. Go for it!
    thanks for the link thats on my list now. i will look it over good.
    the other wasnt free, i had a trial period to look and see if it covered want i was looking for and i down loaded while i had access.
    i just seen this and since i am working on sight reading it seem simple enough i could kill two bird with one stone. but i just didnt understad the chord naming.
    trying to learn the voice leading and the sight reading and the theroy it mounts up so.
    i figure i would be better off if i had a good intrustor but theres nothing around and i dont know how the computer stuff works or if its worth messing with.
    maybe i am wrong but i thought if i learned to sight read i would be learning theroy and voice leading by default?