The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Modern jazz composition often involves the juxtaposition of modes from different keys. This approach allows composers and improvisers to create unique and colorful harmonic landscapes, often pushing the boundaries of traditional tonality.
    Students are encouraged to explore each mode extensively. This can involve experimenting with different melodic patterns, intervals, and rhythmic ideas within each mode. This helps internalize the sound and shape of each mode while also developing improvisational skills. Students can start with simple melodies and gradually add complexity as they become more comfortable with each mode.
    ______
    Harry Likas was the technical editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
    Attached Images Attached Images Modes arranged in a musical sequence-modes-arranged-png 
    Last edited by rintincop; 04-09-2024 at 11:48 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Modes of C melodic minor shown in an unmusical order:
    Attached Images Attached Images Modes arranged in a musical sequence-modes-melodic-minor-png 

User Info Menu

What do the triangle and the plus indicate?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    What do the triangle and the plus indicate?
    triangle = major
    + = augmented

User Info Menu

I don't understand how one is musical, it's a bunch of F chords...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Not sure what makes one musical and the other unmusical either.

It’s just one parallel and the other relative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    triangle = major
    triangle = major seventh; e.g. C to B, as opposed to m7 C to Bb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    triangle = major seventh; e.g. C to B, as opposed to m7 C to Bb
    Thanks for the save!

User Info Menu

Chords shown have:

triangle
    triangle before a #4
    triangle before a #5
    triangle before a +5
    triangle before a 7
    Maj before a 7
    minus sign before a triangle
    minus sign before a Maj 7

Those two pages are from the same book?

User Info Menu

Perhaps but..it is addressed to a piano framework--and Chick Corea at that..

It didn't do anything for me..again.the chord names of the modes vs the scales to play over them..I think a recent 400+post thread dealt with some of this stuff.

I think Levin has said..and I agree..all the chords are the same in MM..and of course it can be confusing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen View Post

It didn't do anything for me..
    It did something for me. I can't say I'd know immediately what to play over, say, a M7#5, 7sus4b9 or a mb6 if I came to it. So I'd say they were useful, personally.

User Info Menu

Chords shown have:

triangle
    triangle before a #4
    triangle before a #5
    triangle before a +5
    triangle before a 7
    Maj before a 7
    minus sign before a triangle
    minus sign before a Maj 7

Those two pages are from the same book?
    Has anyone untangled the symbology?

User Info Menu

C-Triangle/F

Is a C minor chord with major 7 under F

F C Eb G B

The /F means play an F note for bass.

User Info Menu

Has anyone untangled the symbology?
    These are standard Jamey Aebersold chord symbols. Take a look at this:
    https://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FREE-nomenclature.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    These are standard Jamey Aebersold chord symbols. Take a look at this:
    https://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FREE-nomenclature.pdf
    Thanks,
    He's chord scaling so his chord symbols are really chord/scale symbols (extra stuff enough to identify the scale), but he writes he's for removing thoughts from the written page and expressing what is being heard in the mind.
    I totally agree with that; I've never used a lead sheet in my life.

User Info Menu

C-Triangle/F

Is a C minor chord with major 7 under F

F C Eb G B

The /F means play an F note for bass.
    You probably meant "over F"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    You probably meant "over F"
    Yeah, that’s right

User Info Menu

It's hard to believe on a jazz forum that no one knows what a triangle means or what a slash chord is.

They even provide the notes. The notes spell out the minor/maj7 chords over various variations of F chords, major, minor and dominant.

It tells you what to do in the blub above the notation: 'Linger in each measure and improvise'.

So that first one is F7#11 and you're playing C melodic minor over it. Linger, inhale, taste the lovely flavor... and then incorporate it into your playing.

The second bunch is using major scales instead of melodic minor. So the first one is Bb major played over F7sus. And so on.

Simple, see?

User Info Menu

Say, for example, you were playing Iris by Wayne Shorter. There are some of those chords in that one:

Modes arranged in a musical sequence-iris-236-jpg

The Bb+7 is another way of writing Bb7b13. So, according to the chart, you could play Eb mel m over it.

Likewise you have an AbM7#5. You could use F mel m over it.

You also have a Dbmb6. There's a mb6 chord in the second section of the chart. You could play A Aeolian (E major) over it.

Disclaimer: I'm not necessarily advocating these scales. They work fine but there are also other ways to play over those chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It's hard to believe on a jazz forum that no one knows what a triangle means or what a slash chord is.
    Well, the harmonic function of slash chords can be hard to decipher. For example, I wrote an intro to a song that had these two chords resolving to the opening tonic chord (Gmaj.7)

(1) x-x-8-6-5-5 ->> (2) x-x-6-5-3-3 (Abmaj.7b5) ->> x-x-5-4-3-2 (Gmaj.7)

I'd normally think of chord #1 as a F#7#9 (no root, 3rd in bass), because I normally use it as one, but writing it as A/Bb makes more sense because it sounds to me like it's functioning as a V7 to the AbM7b5 that follows it, which resolves to the Gmaj7.

User Info Menu

You're talking about the function of a slash chord, not what a slash chord is. Two different things.

But I agree absolutely, A/Bb is much easier than a whole lot of chord salad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    It's hard to believe on a jazz forum that no one knows what a triangle means...
    The triangle does two things.

- indicates the three is major unless otherwise specified with a preceding "-", "m", "mi", or "min".

- locally and temporarily contravenes the unique symbol convention applied to the "7" element of a chord symbol which by default mislabels the sounded flat seventh as "7" instead of "b7" unless otherwise specified by an additional mark (triangle, "maj", "ma", or "M") which acts to locally suspend the mislabeling convention by indicating the symbol element "7" is temporarily corresponding to its sounded pitch (natural seven).
    Last edited by pauln; Today at 02:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I think a capital letter is major. The triangle is explicitly telling us major 7th. You won’t see a triangle b7.