The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Call it altered, outside, dissonance, whatever, the tempo seems to move along in a blur of notes. Chord solos and comping seem to tolerate alterations at slower tempos, but soloists don’t play their lines slowly. When practicing hip lines, don’t forget to practice technique that pushes you to no less than 200bpm.
    Opinions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not to be mean, but I don't know where you came up with this premise lol. Chromaticism is used in all tempos in jazz, not only fast. Have you never listened to Monk? He's one of the most definitive chromatic players of all time and he never played above 200.

I surmise you've never listened to Mark either. Lol!

Larry Goldings with a beautiful concert of inside/outside playing at slow and medium tempos. First solo at 2:08.

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 03-10-2024 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StevenA
    Call it altered, outside, dissonance, whatever, the tempo seems to move along in a blur of notes.
    Always?

User Info Menu

Never

User Info Menu

Call it altered, outside, dissonance, whatever, the tempo seems to move along in a blur of notes. Chord solos and comping seem to tolerate alterations at slower tempos, but soloists don’t play their lines slowly. When practicing hip lines, don’t forget to practice technique that pushes you to no less than 200bpm.
    Opinions?
    Its unclear what the question is.

Are you asking if there are tempos that are too slow for outside playing? Or are you asking if people think you should be able to play their outside material at 200bpm.

If it’s the first, I would say no … no minimum tempo. Outside stuff can work at any tempo.

If it’s the second … I would say you should be able to play anything that fast.

User Info Menu

Opinions?
    There are eighty-four strictly diatonic scales in the "step construction" domain. I'm not so sure I know what non-diatonic means with regard to playing in the time domain... a phrase may be a mixture of strictly diatonic and strictly non-diatonic segments, so you need a window of some period to decide whether something (line, phrase, chunk) is diatonic, non-diatonic, or a mixture (where unfortunately that mixture might be casually called non-diatonic because it's not strictly diatonic - even though it is also not strictly non-diatonic).

Maybe your "minimum tempo for non-diatonic soloing" is connected to this time window aperture of defining D vs non-D with respect to tempo? Hint: a small enough window will allow its content to satisfy the conditions of both strictly diatonic and strictly non-diatonic.

I second pamosmusic's comment up above.
    (200bpm is less than 7 eighths per second).