The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 105 of 105

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    "The problem is, I have come across others saying this is a diminished shape."

It is a diminished "shape".... take your example, C/Eb/A, and slide it up the neck 1/2 step > whole step, etc.

That will give you chords that contain the notes of a dim. scale:
    C/Eb/A > Db/E/Bb > Eb/Gb/C > E/G/Db - etc. - which you could play over a Cm7b5 (> F7b9)

So it's a not a symmetrical Cm6 "shape" because the fingering would change at different fretboard positions.
    Cdim7 is C Eb Gb A. Each of these notes can be the root, meaning the same notes are four differently named diminished chords.

And, of course, the same notes are B7b9, D7b9 F7b9 and Ab7b9.

I've always wondered why it isn't called a Cm6b5. And, the same notes would be Ebm6b5, etc.

So, those four notes might have 12 different names, instead of the usual 8, that is, if anybody used m6b5.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Cdim7 is C Eb Gb A. Each of these notes can be the root, meaning the same notes are four differently named diminished chords.

And, of course, the same notes are B7b9, D7b9 F7b9 and Ab7b9.

I've always wondered why it isn't called a Cm6b5. And, the same notes would be Ebm6b5, etc.

So, those four notes might have 12 different names, instead of the usual 8, that is, if anybody used m6b5.
    I'm really enjoying this thread & learning a lot. It's a far cry from my bluegrass jams..."This one's in G boys"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J.C.
    I'm really enjoying this thread & learning a lot. It's a far cry from my bluegrass jams..."This one's in G boys"
    Once you get the foundations down, it's pretty much "This one's in Bb boys"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Once you get the foundations down, it's pretty much "This one's in Bb boys"
    Watch me for the changes, and uh...try to keep up, okay?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Watch me for the changes, and uh...try to keep up, okay?
    I wish I did that on purpose.