The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

On which tunes did they play the genuine Lydian mode on the "Kind Of Blue" album? Or did they? Could the often-claimed George Russell Lydian Chromatic Theory "influence" on Miles Davis be a marketing tactic to promote sales of Russell's book? Did Ravel and Debussy, with their modern modal usage, perhaps have a bigger influence on Bill Evans and Miles Davis than George Russell?
    Last edited by rintincop; 02-25-2024 at 11:10 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So What is Dorian. Freddie Freeloader and All Blues are blues, meaning, non modal, not mixolydian at least.

There might be Lydian lines in the solos… I dunno. This kind of music theory analysis isn’t my focus.

My band doesn’t play the other two, so I can’t say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    On which tunes did they play the genuine Lydian mode on the "Kind Of Blue" album? Or did they? Could the often-claimed George Russell Lydian Chromatic Theory "influence" on Miles Davis be a marketing tactic to promote sales of Russell's book? Did Ravel and Debussy, with their modern modal usage, perhaps have a bigger influence on Bill Evans and Miles Davis than George Russell?
    The Lydian Chromatic thing is mostly nonsense. Instead of playing D dorian, he’d say to use F lydian. It’s the same notes! Whooptie-doo!

Your ear should be guiding you in terms of what notes to emphasize. Your goal should be to use all 12 notes melodically over any given vertical structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

F lydian is a much better choice over Dm11 than D dorian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsaras
    The Lydian Chromatic thing is mostly nonsense. Instead of playing D dorian, he’d say to use F lydian. It’s the same notes! Whooptie-doo!

Your ear should be guiding you in terms of what notes to emphasize. Your goal should be to use all 12 notes melodically over any given vertical structure.

The LCC largely predates modern chord scale theory. Some see it as the direct ancestor. I’m not so sure. But it does frame things in what seems to us like a slightly backwards way.

The modes in use compositionally on Kind of Blue are the traditional ‘church’ modes (that’s a can of worms lol) so I don’t see why it would have to have anything to do with LCC. I remember Miles mentioning Ravel.

But that’s neither here nor there really, the question is - did it?

George Russell was not shy of a bit of promo haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    F lydian is a much better choice over Dm11 than D dorian

Is that because F Lydian contains the notes A B C D E F G whereas D Dorian only contains the notes A B C D E F G?

User Info Menu

The LCC largely predates modern chord scale theory. Some see it as the direct ancestor. I’m not so sure. But it does frame things in what seems to us like a slightly backwards way.

The modes in use compositionally on Kind of Blue are the traditional ‘church’ modes (that’s a can of worms lol) so I don’t see why it would have to have anything to do with LCC. I remember Miles mentioning Ravel.

But that’s neither here nor there really, the question is - did it?

George Russell was not shy of a bit of promo haha.

Bill Evans had worked with Russell before working with Miles.

User Info Menu

The Lydian Chromatic theory isn't about just using the Lydian scale for everything. It was a way of looking at the organisation of notes. It constructs a scale by stacking perfect 5ths, so C -> G -> D -> A -> E -> B -> F# which becomes C D E F# G A B, i.e. the Lydian mode. The Lydian mode should be the basis of harmony, not the Ionian mode.

It was developed in the 50s, and it affected a lot of people then. It was a new way of thinking about scales that wasn't bebop running changes. In the present day it doesn't seem as revolutionary. But at the time it led people into thinking modally. The tunes on Kind of Blue were all designed to explore a different mode. I think it's Flamenco Sketches that moves through a series of 5 modes. I'm not sure if the Lydian mode is ever explicitly used.

Today it seems like alot to do about nothing, but modal thinking is pretty ingrained today. The pop tunes of the 30s,40s, 50s have tons of harmonic movement. The pop tunes of today have much more simple chord movement, if there is any movement at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    Is that because F Lydian contains the notes A B C D E F G whereas D Dorian only contains the notes A B C D E F G?
    It's kind of an emphasis thing...

User Info Menu

Like everything else in music theory, it's an attempt to verbally explain what is ultimately unexplainable verbally.

User Info Menu

Blue in Green has a Bbmaj7#11, so BOOM! Lydian!

User Info Menu

It was a concept..an obscure one at that..

In reading about it from various interviews with active musicians and GR..he did not use the LC on his own compositions - this is what I came
    away with after a fair amount of reading.

I read,,was it used on the tunes on Kind of Blue..consider who played on those tunes..did they make space for it..

"..OK bar 35 LCC then E diminished then back to the head.."

If it was used to any extent..its notice was in passing.

If it was used in the composition of any tune on the album..it would have been known by
    the many musicians who played and studied each tune and the many who wrote and analyzed each tune in depth

User Info Menu

Took me awhile to get past the Dorian thing to see what I was missing. I think in Dorian on the fret board because Santana, prog rock, Allman Bros. Hard to argue with all that muscle memory built up over the years. And it's just.. notes.

However, it's not the notes.. it's how you use them. Lydian has a sound. Open. Grandiose. Heroic even.

If the underlying harmonic content supports it, makes for a very cool and thematic sort of solo. But you can't just play Dorian to get the impact of Lydian.

(side note: are mode names capitalized?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Blue in Green has a Bbmaj7#11, so BOOM! Lydian!

I kinda like Lydian #9 there tho

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410

(side note: are mode names capitalized?)
    They are proper nouns, so yes.

Someone said Blue In Green has a Bb major seventh chord with E in the lead? Then how come the bass player plays a G on beat one in the first measure of every chorus of the tune. To my ears I hear a Gmi13 harmony in the first bar of every chorus.
    Last edited by rintincop; 02-27-2024 at 03:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Blue In Green has a Bb major seventh chord with E in the lead? Then how come the bass player plays a G on beat one in the first measure of every chorus of the tune. To my ears I hear a G-6 harmony in bar 1.
    My understanding is that Mike Moreno turns into The Hulk every time someone calls it a Bbmaj7.

User Info Menu

The first chord is Gm13?

I assumed Jeff was talking about the Bbmaj7#11 later in the tune

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    My understanding is that Mike Moreno turns into The Hulk every time someone calls it a Bbmaj7.
    It must be quite exhausting being Mike Moreno.

User Info Menu

going by harmonic series you get Lydian dominant, going by fifths you get Lydian. Which one is more natural? Combine them and you get Bebop dominant. I struggle with major seventh all the time and my ear likes b7 better more often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I struggle with major seventh all the time and my ear likes b7 better more often.

That's because we should use 6th chords instead of M7ths as the vanilla tonic chord. Home should be peaceful, not tense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    That's because we should use 6th chords instead of M7ths as the vanilla tonic chord. Home should be peaceful, not tense.
    Definitely depends on the tune.

This discussion might belong in the “play the tune or play the changes” thread, but sometimes the vibe is very major 7 … Misty, Getting Sentimental Over You, etc. The melody tells you major 7 in those cases, but maybe even something like Accustomed to Her Face.

For me the difference isn’t the tension, but that ambiguous minor quality in the top part of the major 7 when you have the root in the bass. The vibe is more melancholy on the major 7. It’s more unambiguously major in the major 6

User Info Menu

It must be quite exhausting being Mike Moreno.
    I would imagine so.

User Info Menu

m6 is well tense

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Definitely depends on the tune.

This discussion might belong in the “play the tune or play the changes” thread, but sometimes the vibe is very major 7 … Misty, Getting Sentimental Over You, etc. The melody tells you major 7 in those cases, but maybe even something like Accustomed to Her Face.

For me the difference isn’t the tension, but that ambiguous minor quality in the top part of the major 7 when you have the root in the bass. The vibe is more melancholy on the major 7. It’s more unambiguously major in the major 6
    Yeah the melody ‘tis the thing.

Otoh if you are soloing up to you really.

In Barry World the 6th on the 5th is the way we tend to frame those more major 7/major 9 sounds. Which is, say G6 (Em7) on C. They do exist.. but they are separate and distinct