The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

better
    - explain?

It's kind of an emphasis thing...
    - If you need a specific scale/mode to enable you emphasise notes you aren't listening to what you are doing

So...the notes in a scale provide a palette to be used by a musician to achieve an artistic result. How you use them is up to you to decide.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Gainly
    - explain?

- If you need a specific scale/mode to enable you emphasise notes you aren't listening to what you are doing

So...the notes in a scale provide a palette to be used by a musician to achieve an artistic result. How you use them is up to you to decide.
    This is a concept I got from Adam Rogers. It’s the way he views things.

I was skeptical too, and equally purist about it, but in fact it does make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When you're playing, there comes a time when you need to stop playing guitar and play music instead.

User Info Menu

And sometime the secret is in knowing when to stop pretending to be a musical brain in a jar and just play the bloody guitar like a filthy strummer.

All things in moderation….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I guess I didn't put that very well. What I meant to say was: assuming we divide by the 12 semitones so that each is 12th-root-of-two times the frequency of its predecessor, then we get the property that the octave is exactly double the frequency of the root. For the fifth, we get 12-root-of-2 to the power 7 (7 semitones between the fifth and the root). This gives approximately 1.5, meaning that the second octave of the fifth has *approximately* the same frequency as the third octave of the root. Similarly, the frequency of the third is given as 12-root-of-2 to the power 4, which is roughly 1.25. This means that the fourth octave of the third is approximately the same frequency as the fifth octave of the root. These correspondences between higher harmonics of the root and its intervals may account for the fact that these intervals sound consonant. However, these correspondences are only approximate, and depend on how you choose to divide up the octave.
    All that math model fails when you span a few octaves; the perceived pitches diverge from the numerical frequencies. Simply doubling frequencies a couple of times results in a very flat pitch perception, and halving frequencies results in sharp pitch perception.

It only takes a few seconds playing with an audio oscillator to notice the discrepancy...

Online Tone Generator - Free, Simple and Easy to Use

Enter 500, press play, select sine wave, adjust volume
    While that is playing, enter 1000 and press play
    While that is playing enter 2000 and press play

Now think about the consequences of what you heard!