The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Depends on who is writing the chart. Many times people forget that guitar is a transposing instrument and they write a melody in the wrong octave. So i always check it with the horns or the composer.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

So, today I saw a big band chart and finally took notice of the little 8 hanging off the treble clef on the guitar part.

The first note was an F, 3 ledger lines below the staff.

A pianist seeing that note will play it as the pitch on the D string third fret.

A guitarist who learned it the way Mel Bay teaches it, plays that as the first fret low E string.

So, the little 8 hanging off the clef, tells the guitar player that he's supposed to play Mel Bay's way.

If the little 8 is not there, then the guitarist either plays the note an octave higher or assumes that the little 8 should be there and plays it as Mel Bay taught.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    So, today I saw a big band chart and finally took notice of the little 8 hanging off the treble clef on the guitar part.

The first note was an F, 3 ledger lines below the staff.

A pianist seeing that note will play it as the pitch on the D string third fret.

A guitarist who learned it the way Mel Bay teaches it, plays that as the first fret low E string.

So, the little 8 hanging off the clef, tells the guitar player that he's supposed to play Mel Bay's way.

If the little 8 is not there, then the guitarist either plays the note an octave higher or assumes that the little 8 should be there and plays it as Mel Bay taught.
    Well, a guitarist should always use common sense.

And a jazz guitarist probably never plays it the way it's written

User Info Menu

You cant rely on those little 8s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk