The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 192

User Info Menu

Hey.

This has bugged me ever since started learning music. All my life.

In music school, from 1 to 7 years, kids learn 3 chords (T, S, D) and 4 scale types but in 13 keys. *****edit: 30 keys. math error and linguistical error here.
    Every year one key gets added. Eventually, in year seven, they have to know those 3 chords in 13 keys.

So!
    Instead getting into those degrees and really get to know them, the KEYs are what give the grades.

I stop here at this moment. What are your thoughts in this matter?

edit: added "in music school"
    Last edited by emanresu; 02-05-2024 at 06:14 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    What are your thoughts in this matter?
    ???

Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    ???

Confused.
    I need more than ??? to fix the post.

User Info Menu

Hey.

From 1 to 7 years, kids learn 3 chords (T, S, D) and 4 scale types but in 13 keys.
    Every year one key gets added. Eventually, in year seven, they have to know those 3 chords in 13 keys.

So!
    Instead getting into those degrees and really get to know them, the KEYs are what give the grades.

Firstly, when I was a kid from the age of 1 to 7 I didn't learn any chords, scale types or keys. Secondly, there are 24 keys, not 13, or if we don't count the minor keys, that would make 12. Thirdly, what do you mean getting into those degrees? Lastly, how do keys give grades?

You were in a music school?

User Info Menu

You were in a music school?
    Yes, I went to music school. Aged 18-22.

User Info Menu

I agree with James. You aren’t making sense. I would add what are TSD chords?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I would add what are TSD chords?
    Tonic Subdominant, Dominant.

User Info Menu

Hey.

In music school, from 1 to 7 years, kids learn 3 chords (T, S, D) and 4 scale types but in 13 keys.

So!

This is not the way of music schools in the UK. Your school sounds very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonM
    This is not the way of music schools in the UK. Your school sounds very poor.
    I guess thats a hint for me.

User Info Menu

Eh????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

THIRTEEN keys? Who knew?

That could explain why 8% of my solos really suck.

User Info Menu

What????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Tonic Subdominant, Dominant.
    No that can’t be right. The I and IV are both major. Why would you learn 2 majors and a dominant for each key.

User Info Menu

No that can’t be right. The I and IV are both major. Why would you learn 2 majors and a dominant for each key.
    Because they are the primary functions of the key.

Dude, I don’t mean to be funny, but have you like, you know, played songs? I mean this is basic busking songs for singalongs stuff. G C D, that kind of stuff? The three chord trick?

User Info Menu

My reaction of WTF??? is more based on my total lack of comprehension of anything else in the OP

User Info Menu

You are not talking about music school. Kids do not go to music school and learn one key a year. Music schools are found in universities. You are talking about music lessons in secondary school, are you not?

User Info Menu

Play most Ramones songs in 7 short years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Because they are the primary functions of the key.

Dude, I don’t mean to be funny, but have you like, you know, played songs? I mean this is basic busking songs for singalongs stuff. G C D, that kind of stuff? The three chord trick?

Well, he didn’t say anything about songs. Just chords. I was thinking chord types(major, minor, ect..) not chord function.

It’s a fair question on your part. Haha

User Info Menu

Well, he didn’t say anything about songs. Just chords. I was thinking chord types(major, minor, ect..) not chord function.

It’s a fair question on your part. Haha
    Yeah especially tonic dominant is pretty accessible stuff for younger kids. Anything that can be binary … like “same and different” … is pretty workable for young students. Major and minor, step and skip, tonic and dominant.

Adding subdominant would be more involved but yeah …

As for anything else in the OP, I second James’s “???”

Dunno. I guess the programs are different in other countries.

Here they go through all natural intervals - fine. But chord-wise, it is only
    those 3 types. Triads and their inversions for T and S, and dominant gets the 7th only.

And they do the same things in all keys, meaning up to seven sharps or flats.
    Basically each year they add 1 flat and 1 sharp.

So the same basic things but the main work is to get those chords learned in all the keys.

It seems kinda.. lacking.

User Info Menu

I dunno. what are you trying to achieve?

User Info Menu

Well, I don't know what that stuff about 13 keys was all about. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding or mis-remembering. But the business of working up through the keys makes a little more sense. They're learning 4-5-1 in all keys from simple to complex. And something to do with scales too.

And, of course, they're starting them very young and doing one change a year. Bearing in mind a year is only the term-times, not literally all year.

In today's terms it does seem a rather rigid and unimaginative way of doing things. Mind you, us older people here will know that's how we learned our multiplication tables, by repetition till we had them off pat - one one's are one, two two's are two, and all that. It does go into the long-term memory and stays with one. I still know right away what seven eight's are (56) without thinking. And I couldn't do maths!

So maybe there's a point to it but, of course, it's merely knowledge unapplied to an instrument. Apparently so, anyway.

It's not ideal but I think we'd have to know a little more about it before passing complete judgement. Maybe there was also some actual musical application involved as well.

User Info Menu

Funny, Bird once stated in an interview that he though there were 13 keys. Maybe people learn the keys of F# and Gb as separate keys... or something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If it was the difference between F#/Gb, C#/Db, etc, there'd be a lot more than 13!
    I know, right?, at least an extra 3, but I'm thinking F# and Gb both get used, say more than C# or Cb. I could be wrong...