The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

Usually, when players are referencing altered tonalities, they will cite tritones, altered scales, H/W W/H scales, Dorian 1/2 up and whole step down. Although I enjoy each of these tools, I frequently resort to maj7 arps for simplicity.
    For example, over D7 alt consider:
    Ebma7, E, F#, G, A, Bb, C, Db
    The arp I have found most frequently in transcriptions is a 3rd up (F# over D7)
    Found in Benson Billies Bounce, and Martino Oleo and especially Trumpeter David Berger’s Contemporary Jazz Studies. It does tweak the ear a bit, but the resolutions are fun to work out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StevenA;[URL="tel:1312653"
    1312653[/URL]]Usually, when players are referencing altered tonalities, they will cite tritones, altered scales, H/W W/H scales, Dorian 1/2 up and whole step down. Although I enjoy each of these tools, I frequently resort to maj7 arps for simplicity.
    The arp I have found most frequently in transcriptions is a 3rd up (F# over D7)
    Found in Benson Billies Bounce, and Martino Oleo and especially Trumpeter David Berger’s Contemporary Jazz Studies. It does tweak the ear a bit, but the resolutions are fun to work out.
    Interesting ….

but I’m not completely following you
    did you mean play Ebmaj7 scale
    (Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb)

over the D7alt ?

User Info Menu

I like maj7 a half step below the I.

So over Dm7 G7 Cmaj7, play, Dm7 Bmaj7, Cmaj7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StevenA
    Usually, when players are referencing altered tonalities, they will cite tritones, altered scales, H/W W/H scales, Dorian 1/2 up and whole step down. Although I enjoy each of these tools, I frequently resort to maj7 arps for simplicity.
    L
    I don’t think I understand what you mean here. Are you spelling out notes? Or are those other major 7 chords that you like?

User Info Menu

Yep bVI on V7… generally I think of that as a type of extended IIm7b5 sound

User Info Menu

Dumb question:

do you mean bVI of the V7 (in C: for G7 you play EbM7)

Eb G Bb D
    [b13, R, #9, b7] of G

or bVI of the 1

(in C: for G7 you play AbM7)
    Ab C Eb G
    [b9, 11, b13, R] of G

writing that down, I am going to guess EbM7.

User Info Menu

A detailed description regarding the use of major arpeggios over dominant chords is contained in my method "CHITARRA JAZZ E IMPROVVISAZIONE MELODICA" ( "MELODIC IMPROVISATION FOR JAZZ GUITAR").

The videos showing this way of playing in practice are on my YouTube channel:

At the moment only the Italian version of my method is published but within a few months the version with English text will also be available.

Ettore - www.quenda.it

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Interesting ….

but I’m not completely following you
    did you mean play Ebmaj7 scale
    (Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb)

over the D7alt ?
    sorry, not a scale, but all maj7

Quote Originally Posted by sm80808
    Dumb question:

do you mean bVI of the V7 (in C: for G7 you play EbM7)

Eb G Bb D
    [b13, R, #9, b7] of G

or bVI of the 1

(in C: for G7 you play AbM7)
    Ab C Eb G
    [b9, 11, b13, R] of G

writing that down, I am going to guess EbM7.
    Both

User Info Menu

Steven, you should start a big arpeggio superimposition thread. Could be fun.

There's SOOO much in these sounds...

User Info Menu

In summary, : over a G7 chord you can play:

- AbMaj9 arpeggio
    - DbMaj9 arpeggio

And developing this system you can play the other 5 arpeggios from the Ab Major key:

Bbm9, Cm(b9), Eb9, Fm9 and Gm7b5 arpeggios.

As we know the Ab Major scale DO NOT INCLUDE the B natural so, if we play these arpeggios over a G7 chord, the major third is missing.
    Instead we play the C note.....obtaining a "temporary mode suspension" that is very original and "open".

We know that the other option (it is explained in dozens of books...) is to play the arpeggios of the melodic minor scale over the dominant chord.
    But for beginners it is much, much easier to play major scales and arpeggios than the superlocrian scale and all the arpeggios derived from the melodic minor scale.

Ettore

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Steven, you should start a big arpeggio superimposition thread. Could be fun.

There's SOOO much in these sounds...
    I got these from Jack Zuckers Dodecaphonic charts, basically take the harmonized chords from major, melodic, harmonic and harmonic major,
    move each chord in minor 3rds, and they can all sub for dominant 7 chords
    that are in those harmonized scales

User Info Menu

sorry, not a scale, but all maj7
    Okay got it. I'm there now.

Yeah that maj7 a half step up is a nice one. Harmonic minor, 7b9(sus) thing.

I really like the major 7s from the minor-third subs because they get some unusual sounds in them.

So that's Fmaj7 over G7, Abmaj7 over G7, Bmaj7 over G7, and (less frequently) Dmaj7 over G7. All kind of odd sounds, but really cool.

User Info Menu

George Benson uses a similar approach in his ‘art of jazz guitar’ video. On the chord progression Cm - F7 - Bb, he plays a line derived from a Bmaj7 arpeggio over the F7. Then he says he can substitute it with any maj7 arp related to B, and uses Emaj7 over the F7. He implies he could use any related maj7 arp going back up that cycle from B to E and so on (so he seems to be talking about a cycle of fourths).

I got intrigued by this and tried maj7 arps in all 12 keys to replace the F7. It’s surprising how many sound ok, I think there were only about 4 that didn’t sound much good (I think mainly because they sounded too similar to the existing chords).

Of course Benson plays these lines quite fast, that certainly helps too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

I got intrigued by this and tried maj7 arps in all 12 keys to replace the F7. It’s surprising how many sound ok, I think there were only about 4 that didn’t sound much good (I think mainly because they sounded too similar to the existing chords).
    Ah! Yeah I've had the same experience. Not with this specifically ... but generally, as long as you find the off-ramp into the chord you're trying to hit, it's the weird stuff that sounds good. The stuff that sounds a little too much like the existing chord sounds a little aimless and confusing.

Kind of the opposite of what we're trained to think.

User Info Menu

Ah!

I've just done what graham's done and tried them all. Intriguing is exactly the word I was going to use too. Some work better than others but that was predictable. I don't think any of them are a complete reject although a couple are highly suspect.

I suppose it all depends on the player and the context. As we know, a loud sax belting it out can override almost anything.

It starts with AM7 and ascends chromatically (including CM7) to AbM7 although some are played higher or lower than others. Incidentally, this is all take 1. I didn't try to make them fit, I just went where the fingers wanted to go.

My faves are Bb, Db, Eb, E, F, F# and Ab. The two funny ones are B and D. The rest pass :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ah!

I've just done what graham's done and tried them all. Intriguing is exactly the word I was going to use too. Some work better than others but that was predictable. I don't think any of them are a complete reject although a couple are highly suspect.

I suppose it all depends on the player and the context. As we know, a loud sax belting it out can override almost anything.

It starts with AM7 and ascends chromatically (including CM7) to AbM7 although some are played higher or lower than others.

My faves are Bb, Db, Eb, E, F, F# and Ab. The two funny ones are B and D. The rest pass :-)
    Nice that you posted the maj7 auditions.
    Interesting that Bmaj wasn’t a fave as it might be the most prevalent among players, at least in the few hundred transcriptions I’ve read, maybe because it’s a1/2 step away from the target chord.

User Info Menu

Nice that you posted the maj7 auditions
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating :-)

Interesting that Bmaj wasn’t a fave as it might be the most prevalent among players, at least in the few hundred transcriptions I’ve read, maybe because it’s a1/2 step away from the target chord.
    Yes. When I read what Jeff said I tried it out right away and thought it was okay for precisely that reason, because it's a 1/2 step away from CM7.

But then I played all of them and I think there's a big difference between the M7 arp and a simple major triad. The B triad, for instance, sounds quite good over the G7 but the BM7 sound is more like Ebm which isn't the same thing at all.

I actually think this is quite important and applies in different ways to all of them.

User Info Menu

Going on from that, if we write the M7's as their iii sound, they come out like this (from AM7 up to AbM7):

C#m
    Dm
    Ebm
    Em
    Fm
    F#m
    Gm
    Abm
    Am
    Bbm
    Bm
    Cm

Looking at my 'faves' (the ones I thought sounded best) it's quite interesting. I did NOT work this out in reverse before I started.

BbM7 is Dm which, over G7, is obviously good. Similarly:
    DbM7 = Fm which is a good sub.
    EbM7 = Gm which is the blues sound.
    EM7 = Abm which, of course, is the alt sound.
    FM7 = Am which is absolutely fine.
    F#M7 = Bbm which is another alt sound.
    AbM7 = C#m which probably works because it's a chromatic move from Dm to CM7. It's one of the ones that works best.

I left out CM7 before, which is Em. That's also a well-known sub over the whole 2-5-1, Dm-G7-CM7.

The two I didn't think were much good were

BM7 = Ebm which might be seen as a chromatic bridge between Dm and Em (iii sub for CM7). But I didn't care for it.

DM7 = F#m which is possibly the worst and doesn't go anywhere.

The rest you can play with yourself :-)

User Info Menu

Once more for the people in the back.

Everything sounds good over everything.

User Info Menu

Sure, if you've got a wonky brain :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Sure, if you've got a wonky brain :-)
    Got me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Once more for the people in the back.

Everything sounds good over everything.
    Isn't that the definition of harmolodics?

User Info Menu

More like paranoid schizophrenia, if you ask me. As experienced by chimpanzees. It's one of those thoughtless soundbites, like 'the only scale you need is the chromatic scale'.

Not even Schoenberg wrote 'anything over anything'.

User Info Menu

I’d say everything sounds bad over everything if you suck

but I’m a Brit and treasure negativity