The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I was listening to Peter Martin and it occurred to me that he sounds so swingin because his lines at times swing in not only an 8th note feel, but also a triplet feel, and a 16th note feel! So maybe I should practice my scales, and practice improvising in triplets and 16th notes in addition to only 8th notes. Duh!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I was listening to Peter Martin and it occurred to me that he sounds so swingin because his lines at times swing in not only an 8th note feel, but also a triplet feel, and a 16th note feel! So maybe I should practice my scales, and practice improvising in triplets and 16th notes in addition to only 8th notes. Duh!!

I asked a friend of mine (killer sax player) how he works on rhythm. And he was like …

… I pick a tune and play continuous half notes. Then continuous quarter notes. Then quarter note triplets. Then eighth notes. Then triplets. Then sixteenth notes.

And I was like … right … duh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I asked a friend of mine (killer sax player) how he works on rhythm. And he was like …

… I pick a tune and play continuous half notes. Then continuous quarter notes. Then quarter note triplets. Then eighth notes. Then triplets. Then sixteenth notes.

Reminds me of when I asked a singer how she finds the right key to sing in. "Well, I try one and if it doesn't work I try another, until I find one that's nice"

Yazzz duh!

User Info Menu

That's a very cool approach. After explicitly playing all these subdivisions it might be a good idea to also, say, play every third note and just quietly feel the next two in the subdivision etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Reminds me of when I asked a singer how she finds the right key to sing in. "Well, I try one and if it doesn't work I try another, until I find one that's nice"
    I knew a singer whose wheelhouse was Ab and half, or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    That's a very cool approach. After explicitly playing all these subdivisions it might be a good idea to also, say, play every third note and just quietly feel the next two in the subdivision etc.
    I love it.

User Info Menu

AFAIK in GB a Bonehead is a Nazi skinhead organized in Blood & Honour listening to bands like Skrewdriver ...

Seems like I am in Antifa mode tonight LOL

User Info Menu

Secret tip: Look in Peter Farrell's YT channel for the video where he is talking about superimposing a double-time Boogaloo rhythm (George Benson stuff) ...

User Info Menu

singers keys:

can you bring it up a little?
    ok
    can you bring it down a little?

User Info Menu

I feel like my point didn't come across. I was the butt of the tidbit, not realizing you find what keys work by trying them until one does work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    oh I thought it was Manchester slang meaning basically, slaphead in the rest of the the UK. Meaning bald. Not irrelevant.

Oasis used to have a member nicknamed ‘bonehead.’ That’s my only point of reference.

you might be thinking of ‘skinhead’ (‘skins’ for short) but as NSJ will be keen to remind you while there were many racist and far right skinheads not all skinheads were in fact far right and there is a strong subculture of anti-racist skins.
    I know that of course. The original skins in the sixties were a subculture embracing Jamaican music. In the 80ies they got partly infiltrated by the National Front and such. I always thought "bonehead" was used to differentiate those far right ones from the leftist (or unpolitical, Oi!).

BTW a hooligan once explained to me that other than common belief the color (or should I better say colour? LOL) of the shoelaces has nothing to do with political orientation but red means you have killed someone and white means you are a virgin in this regard ...

Reminds me how I enjoyed watching "This is England" on Arte TV last weekend.

Cheers from a bald rudie from Munich

EDIT: Thinking back, it is also possible that red shoelaces might mean you simply have spilled blood. Having killed someone seems a little bit far-going.

EDIT 2: Just to clarify: I hate violence. But I learn things from talking to people and I will talk to anyone. Munich has two soccer (aka football) teams of national and one of international relevance. So it can happen that you come into conversation with a hooligan in a suburban train. Better to talk with them than being beaten up by them ...
    Last edited by Bop Head; 12-05-2023 at 05:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I knew a singer whose wheelhouse was Ab and half, or so.
    So, A but a little flat?